R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Thoughts on Cue  (Read 13786 times)

compasspnt

Re: Thoughts on Cue
« Reply #15 on: April 01, 2010, 08:09:57 PM »

Yes, the big Furman box has a talkback switch on each box.  It can be routed to *) Only the control room, or *) To control room AND every other box, via an internal jumper in the brain.  Then you patch the talkback-from-boxes into a desk fader, and you are REALLY good-to-go.

Also each box has a talkback return pot...this can come from your desk's talkback/cue output, and if the jumper is switched, will also hear the talkback from all other boxes.

There is also an effect send and return on each box.

Much more power, TEN more inputs, heavy cable with Centronics 50 pin connectors.

Built-in TT and 1/4" patchbays on the front of the Brain.

It is so much better, I almost get physically ill now when I have to use the small system.

don kerce

« Reply #16 on: April 01, 2010, 11:12:32 PM »

I just want to preface this by saying everyone is different.

As a bass player, I really hate showing up to a session and seeing those humongous Furmans. It means I'm going to be spending time getting a functional mix even though it'll never be right because tones are changing after every song. I want a 2 mix with an engineer who knows what a band will need to hear. And that's pretty much that. Thank you very next.

d

compasspnt

« Reply #17 on: April 02, 2010, 12:08:42 AM »

Yes, but if they use it correctly, that's what you should get...

A near-perfect stereo mix on a stereo cue, and then any individual things you or someone else might want to add in.

Or not.

Podgorny

« Reply #18 on: April 02, 2010, 08:59:15 AM »

Don's sentiments echo almost every player in Nashville.  NOBODY likes the mini-mixers as much as a good-sounding old school cue system with  good amp, and a good 2-mix.

There's definitely a place for the more-me mixers, but too many engineers use them as a crutch because they cannot be bothered with or are simply incapable of getting a good mix while tracking.
"Nobody cares what the impedance is; all they care about is when you can walk into the room, set up a mic, turn the knobs, hit record, and make everybody go 'wow.'"

compasspnt

« Reply #19 on: April 02, 2010, 10:58:20 AM »

Podgorny wrote on Fri, 02 April 2010 08:59

...too many engineers use them as a crutch because they cannot be bothered with or are simply incapable of getting a good mix while tracking.

Hmm, I never thought of that...

KB_S1

« Reply #20 on: April 02, 2010, 01:16:31 PM »

I used an Aviom cue system recently when tracking an album.
Seemed ok and the musicians generally liked it.
It was mostly small track counts though so they only had a maximum of 7 or 8 things to deal with including TB level.

I still prefer spending some time at the start of a session getting everyones cue mix the way they like it and learning something about the musician in the process.
<a href="http://www.parklanerecordingstudios.com/" class="link3">Park Lane Studio</a> Where to find me most of the time<br /><br />

<a href="http://www.flickr.com/photos/kb_s1/" class="link3">Flickr</a>where to see what I have been up to  <br /><br />

j.hall

« Reply #21 on: April 02, 2010, 02:03:13 PM »

i have yet to come across players that are annoyed with a small 4 channel + stereo mix furman.

maybe it's just the young kids in these rock bands, but just saying, "main mix on this knob, you are 1, click 2...."  i guess i'm over looking the fact that we have a pretty solid mix up at the time...

compasspnt

« Reply #22 on: April 02, 2010, 04:02:14 PM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 02 April 2010 14:03

...we have a pretty solid mix up at the time...

That is the key.

Just a normal stereo cue box, but with added possibilities.

I would not just let them start mixing.

jwhynot

« Reply #23 on: April 02, 2010, 05:56:45 PM »

Totally.

And I prefer the big Furman too!  I just try to remember to check that the "more me" pots are all down, leaving my stereo balance up for a starting point.  Otherwise there tends to be a lot of discussion…

#1 key to a great stereo mix in the cans?  Great sounds at the desk inputs.

If I'm spending a lot of time dealing with cans, I immediately begin to suspect my microphone placement.

JW
one of both the most and least successful producers of ALL TIME!

Fig

« Reply #24 on: April 07, 2010, 03:13:34 PM »

I'm so glad that after 4 years, this topic is finally being discussed.

jwhynot wrote on Fri, 02 April 2010 16:56

#1 key to a great stereo mix in the cans?  Great sounds at the desk inputs.

If I'm spending a lot of time dealing with cans, I immediately begin to suspect my microphone placement.

We still mix the cue from the console's stereo aux bus.  While we do a LOT of alternative micing techniques, only the important ones make it to the 'phones <wink>.

I was told long ago that the cue mix is the most important mix at the time.  These days we patch the control room monitor mix to the wireless 'phones during tracking sessions until someone requires a drastic change that nobody can live with - then that troublemaker gets his/her own feed.  Repeat as necessary.

The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

cenafria

« Reply #25 on: April 20, 2010, 05:28:32 PM »

We just got the big Furman at my place. I had used it years ago and have missed it every day since. It's not cheap but certainly worth it. Musicians comment on how comfortable they are being able to adjust their mixes even in the middle of a take if necessary.

When I sense someone is overwhelmed by the mixer I just pop down and dial in a mix in a second.

The setting up is quicker (when compared to amps and two mix). For me, that is pretty much what settles it.

AND talkback mic on each mixer (which you can activate with a pedal).
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.06 seconds with 16 queries.