R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Avalon 737 w/ "Baby Face mod"?  (Read 50806 times)

New Orleans Steve

Re: Avalon 737 w/ "Baby Face mod"?
« Reply #30 on: February 19, 2011, 06:39:06 PM »

O.K.,
  There you go - I like the E.Q. I really think there is where the strength of this unit is. On the secondhand market....Worth is for the E.Q. alone. The rest, Take it or leave it.
Steve
Straightwire Studios New Orleans is now Straightwire Studios Tampa
Is now back in New Orleans!

Check us out on line www.frenchmenstreetrecords.com

Hallams

« Reply #31 on: February 21, 2011, 07:56:51 AM »

juniorhifikit wrote on Sun, 20 February 2011 01:18

Sorry to be a wanker and bring back an old boring topic, but these 737 things are everywhere!  I travel a good bit and often can't bring gear, and so am often stuck with the artist's pride & joy Avalon 737 -possibly the only thing they have.  While I can manage with the pre and EQ, the compressor's knee seems bizarre and unusable.

So far, I've opted for a variation on the W.W. mod, except I leave the unit plugged in but with the compressor disengaged.  I'd like to track with a compressor and I'd like this one to behave like other optical compressors I know and love.  I've heard of mod's with producer's name's on them, but have yet to find any factual information about the component changes and the (subjective) changes to the timing of the compressor.

I have no problem spending a half hour modifying some one else's gear if it makes my sessions easier.  Anyone have any more info about making these things useful?

.....Sure just a thought..... use your ears and not your eyes when adjusting the comp settings as the meter's movement is a deceptive indicator of the amount of gain reduction that is happening.
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #32 on: February 21, 2011, 07:09:04 PM »

When I started out I bought all Avalon stuff just because it looked cool.   I ended up with 2 737's, 2 M5 and a bunch of portico units.  Thank god I bought all of them used because I sold them all shortly after that.   All my friends were wondering why I was not putting out any good shit when my rack looked so "PRO".    Its good stuff if you wanna sound like Mariah Carey.   It was a good lesson because I realized the ugliest gear sounded the best!!
"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

Bubba#$%Kron

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2011, 07:16:20 PM »

But why do I read every where that direct bass into a U5 is very popular?!!?   John mayer and Norah jones both do this!!
"When we make music we don't do it in order to reach a certain point, such as the end of the composition. If that were the purpose of music then obviously the fastest players would be the best. Also, when we are dancing we are not aiming to arrive at a particular place on the floor as in a journey. When we dance, the journey itself is the point, as when we play music the playing itself is the point."  -Alan Watts

Extreme Mixing

« Reply #34 on: February 22, 2011, 12:18:09 AM »

The U5 really does sound great on bass.  Just don't use the filters.  Imagine how guilty all of those producers and engineers must feel for selling all those millions of records with those 737s on the vocals.  Must be hard to sleep at night.

I actually do like my 2055.  The top and bottom sound great.

Steve

compasspnt

« Reply #35 on: February 22, 2011, 09:12:14 AM »

I am not the world's biggest fan of Avalon, but their equipment certainly does NOT hold back anyone from making a good recording.

That is up to you.

Fletcher

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2011, 09:38:12 AM »

I love Avalon stuff - I think it gets a bad rap because its mainly sold via music stores rather than the "high end specialty dealers" so they will often talk about the unit in less than glowing terms.  The compressor in the 737 is a bit "hit or miss" but the 2044 unit is absolutely top shelf as is the 2055 equalizer.

The "Babyface mod" makes the compressor in the 737 a lot less "hit or miss" [and by that I mean that its great for some things and worse than a DBX for others]... but on the overall, the equalizer in that is top shelf, and the mic pre/DI is a very [VERY] nice color of "clean" for using a tube.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

Extreme Mixing

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2011, 01:07:52 PM »

I have the AD 2055, AD 2044, and the U5 that I use for bass, and I find them all very useful.  I have to say that I got amazing deals on all of them from composers/artists who found themselves "only using software" and were glad to see it go to someone who would use it when they sold their racks of hardware and moved on.

Steve

J.J. Blair

« Reply #38 on: February 22, 2011, 08:39:53 PM »

The Avalon gear gets a bad rap from me because I used it and didn't like it.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Fletcher

« Reply #39 on: February 24, 2011, 09:00:04 AM »

No argument JJ... I just had a differing experience... which I suppose is what makes the world go round... no?
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch.  
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

compasspnt

« Reply #40 on: February 24, 2011, 01:00:27 PM »

Fletcher wrote on Thu, 24 February 2011 09:00

No argument JJ... I just had a differing experience... which I suppose is what makes the world go round... no?

Indeed.

The times I used their gear (has been several years now) I was not overly impressed, but several friends who should know really like some of the pieces.

Hallams

« Reply #41 on: February 26, 2011, 07:04:53 PM »

I was suprised to find out that Avalon had built a custom console for Sear Sound.
Here is a pic. Chris Shaw used it when recording Wilco's Gohst is Born.

index.php/fa/16259/0/

index.php/fa/16260/0/
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

ssltech

« Reply #42 on: February 26, 2011, 08:02:16 PM »

Looks like a Sony/MCI with newer sub-modules... -Did they re-do much of the other stuff I wonder?
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

thedoc

« Reply #43 on: February 27, 2011, 01:41:32 PM »

I think i remember something about Avalon making plug in modules for that console, but my memory is hazy.

Doc

compasspnt

« Reply #44 on: February 27, 2011, 07:25:22 PM »

Does have a distinct MCI/Sony appearance.
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.062 seconds with 19 queries.