R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Avalon 737 w/ "Baby Face mod"?  (Read 50815 times)

compasspnt

Re: Avalon 737 w/ "Baby Face mod"?
« Reply #15 on: February 24, 2006, 02:38:15 PM »

Well, they may sound awful, but at least they look tastelessly terrible.

I like Dub-ya's mod.  We had one here for a while called the "Ocean Mod" for anything Avalon, except the album of the same name of course.

Nothing like a little salt water to improve things.

Occasionally, we actually have clients rent them, and ship them in!

rwj1313

« Reply #16 on: February 24, 2006, 04:46:29 PM »

DivideByZero wrote on Fri, 24 February 2006 00:28

Does this advice come with free updates?

Does anyone know where I can download this advice for free?

Is their similar cheaper advice, that sounds as good as the real advice?

M

Hey Miles,

You don't need to spend anything I've already hacked the W.W. mod! PM me if your interested and I'll tell you a workaround that will give you the same effect but won't cost you $100.00!
Oh and BTW I'll update it for free as needed!

Rick
If you think you're finished at the dance, you are quitting too soon.    William Wittman

you need the fat to protect the stomach lining against alcohol, and the alcohol to cut through the fat in the bloodstream so, it's beer & doughnuts for me.  Maxim

tom eaton

« Reply #17 on: February 24, 2006, 11:02:03 PM »

The Wittman mod is doing wonders here.  I've tried it on just a few things so far.  The most dramatic improvement was on a guitar amp while I was "soloing."  Really made my playing listenable.  I'm looking forward to trying it on some other gear around here.  I'm not sure exactly what's going on, but it also seems to make the gear much quieter.  Cool trick, man!

-tom

Tidewater

« Reply #18 on: February 25, 2006, 02:53:56 AM »

This thread rocks.

The only good Avalons are Al Jolson's, and the salted ones.

I don't think I'll be needing the advice plugin!

index.php/fa/2455/0/

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

zetterstroem

« Reply #19 on: February 25, 2006, 02:34:11 PM »

anyone have the schematics of the 737sp??

there must be some way of getting it to sound better.... i believe it's a healthy construction.....

if only the knee could be changed

and somewhere there's probably some condensers or such responsible for the "shiny" topend

Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

J.J. Blair

« Reply #20 on: February 25, 2006, 08:10:05 PM »

It's almost always the qulaity and type of transformer that is responsible for that top end, I have found.

BTW, I was reading this thread and thinking, there is some poor lurker in this forum who spent a bunch of dough on one of these things, and it's the pride and joy of his home recording setup, and we have just crushed his reality.  Sad
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

tom eaton

« Reply #21 on: February 25, 2006, 09:06:05 PM »

I feel more sorry for the person who reads these forums and takes everyone else's opinions as gospel.  I own a 747 and like it within the limitations of what it does well... no box solves every problem.  If you or I think something sucks, that doesn't mean someone else won't love thing, and find it perfect for the job they're trying to get done.

Shure hasn't stopped selling the 57 since Albini went on record bashing it...I have a couple of those, too.  They didn't stop sounding just like 57s when I read his comment on the Electrical site!

-tom

Tidewater

« Reply #22 on: February 25, 2006, 09:14:03 PM »

Works great, for hyped sounds.

M

wwittman

« Reply #23 on: February 25, 2006, 11:47:32 PM »

Hey I was bashing 57's before Steve had even THOUGHT about engineering... I can't let him take credit or that.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

RKrizman

« Reply #24 on: February 26, 2006, 12:35:43 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Sat, 25 February 2006 20:10

BTW, I was reading this thread and thinking, there is some poor lurker in this forum who spent a bunch of dough on one of these things, and it's the pride and joy of his home recording setup, and we have just crushed his reality.  Sad

Yeah, I feel sorry for the guy who will believes all the crap in this thread over the evidence of his own ears.

-R

Hallams

« Reply #25 on: February 26, 2006, 06:19:00 PM »

Well i take seriously ALL the advice i read here without question. W W has inspired me with his 737 mod, to come up with a variant i fell compelled to try out, with my 747, on the next unsuspecting client. You can try it too.  Leave the black cord in so the pretty lights pulse but disengage the output lead from the 747's output and plug it into the Y cable you have previously placed in the units input. Next ,ask the client to help out with adjusting the top end fader on the EQ section untill they are satisfied with the result.
Chris Hallam.
Melbourne, Australia.

brandondrury

« Reply #26 on: February 27, 2006, 02:32:47 AM »

Quote:

you will notice a large, black, cable with a three pin IEC type AC connector... take this plug and yank it from the back of the unit.

This is total bullshit!

This would not only lead to extremely poor frequency response in the high end, you'd probably lose your low end as well.  Then again, I've noticed that vocal pitch problems have COMPLETELY  went away with this technique.

Brandon

Tidewater

« Reply #27 on: February 27, 2006, 06:41:02 AM »

Detailed high-end has a new friend. Mr. Detailed Highs, meet Mr. Catapult. Catapults help them hold pitch exponetially longer.

Just listen to the 'air'.. wheeeeee....

M

Bluehorn

« Reply #28 on: February 28, 2006, 11:48:37 AM »

My two M5's have served me well. What's all the hub bub..bub?
This whole topic completly SUBjective. What matters is what you like, not what others think. Everything else is rambling egocentric fodder.
Television- a medium. So called because it is neither rare or well done…Ernie Kovacs

juniorhifikit

« Reply #29 on: February 19, 2011, 09:18:50 AM »

Sorry to be a wanker and bring back an old boring topic, but these 737 things are everywhere!  I travel a good bit and often can't bring gear, and so am often stuck with the artist's pride & joy Avalon 737 -possibly the only thing they have.  While I can manage with the pre and EQ, the compressor's knee seems bizarre and unusable.

So far, I've opted for a variation on the W.W. mod, except I leave the unit plugged in but with the compressor disengaged.  I'd like to track with a compressor and I'd like this one to behave like other optical compressors I know and love.  I've heard of mod's with producer's name's on them, but have yet to find any factual information about the component changes and the (subjective) changes to the timing of the compressor.

I have no problem spending a half hour modifying some one else's gear if it makes my sessions easier.  Anyone have any more info about making these things useful?
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 16 queries.