R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New to the forum and looking to start trouble..... Indie Rock???  (Read 14777 times)

scottoliphant

Re: New to the forum and looking to start trouble..... Indie Rock???
« Reply #60 on: February 27, 2006, 10:06:05 PM »

what's a real rock record? hah
what color blue is the sky? how spicy is that curry?

MorningStar

« Reply #61 on: February 27, 2006, 10:33:49 PM »

scottoliphant wrote on Mon, 27 February 2006 22:06

what's a real rock record? hah
what color blue is the sky? how spicy is that curry?

Led Zep II? Who's Next? Appetite for Destruction?
AIC- Dirt? Black Crowes- Southern Harmony? Foo Fighters One by One? Audioslave? Superunknown? Ten?

and the sky is sky blue- That was an easy one

j.hall

« Reply #62 on: February 27, 2006, 11:44:19 PM »

TheViking wrote on Mon, 27 February 2006 18:38

So, because I like those bands, does that make me indie...  

it would have, had you shut your mouth about journey and maintained your membership......IDIOT

counting crows are unbelievable writers.  grab any of their records and pick any song and i'll bet the vocal performance will give you goosebumps.  that band is my example of knowing when NOT to play.

anyway....this thread is derailing.

flood is right, the majority of "outsiders" just think indie rock is independent bands trying to "make it"

i'm completely uninterested in changing that popular opinion.  it matters very little to me what other people think, or what exactly "we" decide to call this "genre"

i know what i like, and i know what i don't.

TheViking

« Reply #63 on: February 27, 2006, 11:55:14 PM »

so...   we're basically talking about a genre with no rules, boundaries, guidelines or any structure to speak of.   Yet some know what is indie and what isn't.   This logic is dizzying.

Also, at what point does a band like Death Cab for Cutie cease being indie?

When I was in high school, it was a really big deal when all of our favorite (dare I say 'indie') bands became mainstream.   REM will be my example as I was a huge fan even before Out of Time and Automatic for the People.   I remember seeing the band on the tour of the Monster record and friends of mine telling me that REM were 'sellouts' and all the fans at the show I was at were 'posers'.

This logic is also dizying and not worth my time to try to figure out.   Success and failure are two drastic opposites.   'Indie Rock' sounds like it's a genre rooted in glorified failure because as soon as you find success, you are disowned by the very people who got you there.

Dizying.
Is this thing on?

Kevin Bruchert / The Viking
www.myspace.com/thevikingproducer

MorningStar

« Reply #64 on: February 27, 2006, 11:59:32 PM »

TheViking wrote on Mon, 27 February 2006 23:55

so...   we're basically talking about a genre with no rules, boundaries, guidelines or any structure to speak of.   Yet some know what is indie and what isn't.   This logic is dizzying.

Also, at what point does a band like Death Cab for Cutie cease being indie?

When I was in high school, it was a really big deal when all of our favorite (dare I say 'indie') bands became mainstream.   REM will be my example as I was a huge fan even before Out of Time and Automatic for the People.   I remember seeing the band on the tour of the Monster record and friends of mine telling me that REM were 'sellouts' and all the fans at the show I was at were 'posers'.

This logic is also dizying and not worth my time to try to figure out.   Success and failure are two drastic opposites.   'Indie Rock' sounds like it's a genre rooted in glorified failure because as soon as you find success, you are disowned by the very people who got you there.

Dizying.

wait wait wait... wasnt REM alternative???

j.hall

« Reply #65 on: February 28, 2006, 12:44:07 AM »

TheViking wrote on Mon, 27 February 2006 22:55

Dizying.

you're just a sore loser for getting kicked out.

maybe the country "underground" will take you.  that seems to be the spot for all the ex-punk rockers these days.

pg666

« Reply #66 on: February 28, 2006, 09:53:31 AM »

Quote:

'Indie Rock' sounds like it's a genre rooted in glorified failure because as soon as you find success, you are disowned by the very people who got you there.

this is a stretch. fugazi's sold over a million records and you don't hear anyone screaming 'sellout'. same with sonic youth. some landmark indie records were even released on majors (drive like jehu, jawbox, at the drive-in, jawbreaker, etc). sure, there's always folks who'll cry 'sellout' over almost anything.. but in the long run it's the music that's judged.

people probably started 'abandoning' REM because they didn't like the direction they were going in.

TheViking

« Reply #67 on: February 28, 2006, 10:07:35 AM »

It may be a stretch...   I was making a pretty extreme statement.   The fact of the matter is in five pages of posts, no one has yet to answer the question MorningStar has asked.   We were almost getting somewhere when people started flexing the nuts of their indie rock knowledge by sharing the kinds of bands that were indie.   Unfortunately, you guys can't even all agree on that.   This thread loses me when bands like Death Cab for Cutie or Sigur Ros are said to be NOT indie but now At the Drive In IS indie.   Is the Mars Volta indie then?   If Jimmy Eat World had never released 'Bleed American', would they still be considered indie?   Is my mom indie?   If the Secret Club falls down in the woods, do they make sound???

Answer the questions!!!
Is this thing on?

Kevin Bruchert / The Viking
www.myspace.com/thevikingproducer

garret

« Reply #68 on: February 28, 2006, 10:26:49 AM »

I've always hated that "they're not indie anymore because" logic.   People always like to feel they're part of a clique, and drawing boundaries where the clique ends makes the insiders feel superior.

To me, there's something very punk about making great records even after you get a major label deal.

Yah, we can do the sm57 in someone's basement thing.  And if the music's good, we don't care what anyone says about the production values.  But we can also do the high-end studio thing with a 128 piece orchestra.   The music's still good.  It's the same value system, same innovative writing, with better tools.

tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

scottoliphant

« Reply #69 on: February 28, 2006, 10:28:11 AM »

Quote:

Led Zep II? Who's Next? Appetite for Destruction?
AIC- Dirt? Black Crowes- Southern Harmony? Foo Fighters One by One? Audioslave? Superunknown? Ten?

and the sky is sky blue- That was an easy one

you've totally missed my point. I'm just suggesting that it's all subjective. Someone just as easily could claim that any of the records above are not "real" rock records. Or ask you to define what "rock" is. But, you are probably just trying to rouse a few feathers and play devils advocate anyways to have a lively discussion, so i guess it's moot. noone here is going to be able to perfectly describe what "indie" is, at least not well enough to equip you with a measuring stick to go out and hold up next to xyz band. that's the beauty of music

pg666

« Reply #70 on: February 28, 2006, 10:43:33 AM »

is 'bitches brew' a jazz record? who was the first heavy metal band? are weezer emo? do these pants make me look fat?

not everything fits neatly into a category and that's not exclusive to indie rock. it's also not that interesting. there are a lot of common traits you find in indie rock (especially when talking about peoples' approach to music) and that is interesting imo.

i think plenty of people gave MorningStar genuine answers and all they got back were stubborn dissmissals and a slightly condescending attitude, so they quit trying.

j.hall

« Reply #71 on: February 28, 2006, 10:56:15 AM »

floodstage wrote on Mon, 27 February 2006 17:28

If they had a singer that sang instead of yelling/screaming with little attention to tune, they'd be bigger than U2.

i had to think about this portion of your post for a while.  

i think you have practically nailed what the indie rock mindset is in a round about way.

fugazi could not have been huge.  they had and still have something very specific to say, and very specific to do.  neither of those goals/plans have anything to do with anyone thing in particular as far as market consumability.  they have never advertised, promoted a show, or pursued any sort of media attention to further promote their band.

their agenda has always been self serving.  sure, they make and sell records, they tour, they turn a profit.  yes they work hard at what they do, but i've never seen or heard of any member of fugazi trying to change people's lives'.  their music is deeply political, and deeply motivational, but if you talk to Guy, or Ian (which i have) neither of them preached to me.  to me, fugazi has always been about trying to get other people to think for themselves.

i think a few of their lyrics some up indie rock better then anyone of us can come up with.

"you will do what looks good to you on paper, we will do what we must"

"the tools they will be swinging, but we will not be beaten down"

"you are not what you own"

"Life is what you want it to be
So don't get tangled up trying to be free
And don't worry what the other people see
It's nothing."

"We draw lines and stand behind them
That's why flags are such ugly things"

"and if I stop to catch my breath
I might catch a piece of death"

"Bred in bone and finely honed
To always sell what we can't own"

j.hall

« Reply #72 on: February 28, 2006, 10:59:33 AM »

j.hall wrote on Thu, 23 February 2006 16:58

1.    I hate labels.  music is music, art is art.  IMO, labeling it only draws lines, and puts things into boxes.  That behavior only creates static boundaries that inhibit creativity and expression.  However, without some sort of general reference we would have a really hard time communicating.  Thus labels come into play.  I did not coin the term "indie rock" nor, emo, garage, punk, screamo, hardcore, grindcore......etc......  Nor did I place certain ideas, sounds, concepts into the definition of "indie rock" or any of the other terms.  My use of that term is merely to communicate to others like me, where I’m coming from.  Unfortunately, saying "I’m an indie rocker" carries meaning with others like me.  It’s like telling a group of random people, "I’m a boy scout" then you end up weeding out all the other people that are not boy scouts and you can now hang out with like minded people.  So, I use this term for the purpose of communication.  The negative side of advocating its use I’ve already typed, and I accept those.

MorningStar

« Reply #73 on: February 28, 2006, 10:59:39 AM »

Fabricoh35 wrote on Fri, 24 February 2006 21:37

Morningstar, I give you something to check out.  Go listen to Archers of Loaf (old) and then Crooked Fingers (new).  Same guys fronts both bands.

Let me know what you think.  I don't want to influence your thoughts so I won't say anymore.

Eric knew what was coming back on the Vee Vee album when he sang "the underground is overcrowded".

This was rather interesting. Suprising its the same guy. I'm not sure what to make of that. To me it sounds like 2 different guys.

j.hall

« Reply #74 on: February 28, 2006, 11:33:56 AM »

TheViking wrote on Tue, 28 February 2006 09:07

Answer the questions!!!

i'll answer them with a question.

describe to me what country music is.

pick up your pitch fork and torch for a cause that matters
Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5] 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.079 seconds with 20 queries.