R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New to the forum and looking to start trouble..... Indie Rock???  (Read 14805 times)

MorningStar

Re: New to the forum and looking to start trouble..... Indie Rock???
« Reply #15 on: February 23, 2006, 03:27:56 PM »

scott volthause wrote on Thu, 23 February 2006 15:26

[/care][care]

oh look. i stopped caring before i even started.

Hey. Thanks for stopping by! Have a good one.

Bivouac

« Reply #16 on: February 23, 2006, 03:30:16 PM »

My definition of indie rock is about as open-ended as the cornucopia of sounds it associates with...

"I know it when I see it..."

garret

« Reply #17 on: February 23, 2006, 04:12:03 PM »

MorningStar wrote on Thu, 23 February 2006 15:10

NOW we are getting somewhere! Here is the problem I have now. I understand the non-major part of it. But the FRESH, WITHOUT COMMERCIAL INTENT is where i get lost. Most people who talk indie , talk about bands that i think all sound exactly alike. There's nothing fresh about it. Everyone wants to sound exactly like what they are hearing on the radio.
I'm going to freshen up on some of the bands you listed so I can be hip again.

Commercialized poppy punk is huge right now.   Ya know the stuff, bad punky vocals, three chords, inane mopey lyrics, etc... the high school kids eat it up.  A small amount of that is indie... most of it isn't.

Here's an attempt at explaining "emo"... seems to get close.
http://iml.jou.ufl.edu/projects/Spring03/Seawell/history.htm

There are/were some amazing bands in that subgenre...  Promise Ring, Joan of Arc, Braid, Sunny Day Real Estate, and a huge number I can't remember because they were best in person, in someone's tiny apartment, with a couple PBR's in ya.

Quote:

But with all that in mind.. wouldnt it be more indie to be a "rock" band?? Bringing back all that freshness of the late 60's? early 70's???

Yes.  70s rock is out of fashion, so it's cool in the counter-culture.

The best indie bands (like the best non-indie bands) are the ones whose sound doesn't fit any single stereotype.... it's just good stuff, inspired by whatever the principals involved grew up listening to.  Lots of 70s & 80s stuff is showing up now in indie circles... Ted Leo's track "Timorous Me" could be a Rick Springfield outtake.     I forgot Ted Leo.  Put them on your short list... get the Tyranny of Distance, it's a stunner.

My brother's band (Aloha) even put some guitar solos in their last record.... took me a while to forgive em, but now I like it.

The bands I listed aren't current... some are a decade old or more.. if you want to know what the kids are listening to now, someone else will have to fill in the details.  But it's all good stuff, that I can guarantee.

-Garret
tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

j.hall

« Reply #18 on: February 23, 2006, 05:58:44 PM »

AHEM!!!!!!!!!!!!!

I walk away for five minutes and the class goes crazy!!!!!!!!!!!!

pg666 wrote on Thu, 23 February 2006 10:47

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp? z=y&isbn=0316787531&itm=1

Brian, is right, this book is practically required reading.  

Garret is really cranking away here.  I’ll try not to re-type what he has spent time typing in the first place.

I’d like to start off by saying 2 things.

1.    I hate labels.  music is music, art is art.  IMO, labeling it only draws lines, and puts things into boxes.  That behavior only creates static boundaries that inhibit creativity and expression.  However, without some sort of general reference we would have a really hard time communicating.  Thus labels come into play.  I did not coin the term "indie rock" nor, emo, garage, punk, screamo, hardcore, grindcore......etc......  Nor did I place certain ideas, sounds, concepts into the definition of "indie rock" or any of the other terms.  My use of that term is merely to communicate to others like me, where I’m coming from.  Unfortunately, saying "I’m an indie rocker" carries meaning with others like me.  It’s like telling a group of random people, "I’m a boy scout" then you end up weeding out all the other people that are not boy scouts and you can now hang out with like minded people.  So, I use this term for the purpose of communication.  The negative side of advocating its use I’ve already typed, and I accept those.

2.   Do not confuse “indie rock” with the roots of the two words “independent rock n roll”.  Anymore, it has little to do with the record label that holds any one band’s contract.  At one point it did, this is no longer the case.  You have to separate the idea that “indie rock” only applies to those bands NOT belonging to certain record labels.

Now that we have that out of the way I’ll add one more thing before I let every one argue.

Bivouac wrote on Thu, 23 February 2006 14:30

My definition of indie rock is about as open-ended as the cornucopia of sounds it associates with...

"I know it when I see it..."

Thus proving my more recent points that indie rock has become more about fashion then attitude, music, or politics.

MorningStar

« Reply #19 on: February 23, 2006, 06:15:42 PM »

Yeah but everyone knows what a boy scout is

pg666

« Reply #20 on: February 23, 2006, 07:40:47 PM »

Quote:

Most people who talk indie , talk about bands that i think all sound exactly alike. There's nothing fresh about it. Everyone wants to sound exactly like what they are hearing on the radio.

this is where you were fooled. it's really cool (and commercial) to throw the term 'indie' around these days. the bands you were probably told were indie most likely have nothing to do with the spirit that fueled great bands like Husker Du, Mission of Burma, Sonic Youth, and Big Black (names that would mean something if you READ THAT BOOK, seriously, it'll rekindle your spirit in rock). Bands like the Killers, Rilo Kiley, Death Cab For Cutie (sorry folks, time to let go..), and Elephant are so far removed from underground rock they are better off being classified alongside Madonna... which is fine, just don't confuse it with the type of music that keeps many of us going.

These current bands do embody that same punk rock spirit and sound nothing like stuff on the radio (or each other): Medications, Electrelane, Oneida, Lightning Bolt, Pelican, Make Believe, Dead Meadow, the New Year, Liars, Deerhoof, Breather Resist, and about a trillion others.

uh, why did i even post that? i like scott's response more..

garret

« Reply #21 on: February 23, 2006, 07:52:15 PM »

pg666 wrote on Thu, 23 February 2006 19:40

These current bands do embody that same punk rock spirit and sound nothing like stuff on the radio (or each other): Medications, Electrelane, Oneida, Lightning Bolt, Pelican, Make Believe, Dead Meadow, the New Year, Liars, Deerhoof, Breather Resist, and about a trillion others.

See, there ya go, I told ya I was out of it.  I don't know any of these bands.. Smile I realy gotta buy some new records.
tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

Bivouac

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 08:05:31 PM »

j.hall wrote on Thu, 23 February 2006 15:58

Thus proving my more recent points that indie rock has become more about fashion then attitude, music, or politics.

Well, let me clarify since I'm pretty sure we agree with each other...

When I say, "I know it when I see it", I'm not insinuating that I think anyone with Buddy Holly glasses and a pair of Chuck's is indie rock.  In fact, I'm not trying to make any points about aesthetics at all...

Perhaps it would be more accurate of me to say, "I know it when I (hear) it"--and I'm not saying because a band sounds like another band previously classified as indie rock, they're indie rock either...

I'm saying when I hear a certain commitment to songwriting and originality, an underlying attitude or strife, artists more concerned with the significance of their music than fame or fortune, THAT'S indie rock.

I'm not talking about a look or a sound.  

scottoliphant

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 09:13:23 PM »

Quote:

There's nothing fresh about it. Everyone wants to sound exactly like what they are hearing on the radio.
no "indie" bands i personally know prescribe to this. anyone else? lot's of good bands where mentioned. try out spoon. great songwriting. exploding popularity (well deserved) and doesn't sound a thing like radio (at least not in austin, maybe radio is different elsewhere, but, i doubt it).

Quote:

Everyone wants to sound exactly like what they are hearing on the radio.
is this true for the majority of music you record? just curious

pg666

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2006, 09:53:54 PM »

Quote:

I don't know any of these bands..

nah, you mentioned Joan of Arc earlier, so you kinda already know Make Believe (Tim Kinsella's new band that's less artsy, more Captain Beefheart-y).

MorningStar

« Reply #25 on: February 24, 2006, 09:57:47 AM »

ok- so I 've been checking out some of the bands mentioned in this thread... I think I need El Presidente to give me a list of whats hot at the moment... and start from the top down...
From what I'm gathering, its more about an attitude. I havent been blown away by the originality of anything I've heard so far. Some of its cool, but nothing ground breaking.

and why can't anyone sing anymore? Whats the deal. Where all all the good singers??

cdr-1

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2006, 10:18:42 AM »

I've got a Thomas Jefferson Slave Appartments record that came out on one of Pollard's lables.

Best line in the record...

"indy rock is just bad punk"
"Henceforth I shall suck the teat of the musical welfare state. I have become a DJ."

starscream2010

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2006, 10:36:13 AM »

MorningStar wrote on Fri, 24 February 2006 08:57

ok- so I 've been checking out some of the bands mentioned in this thread... I think I need El Presidente to give me a list of whats hot at the moment... and start from the top down...
From what I'm gathering, its more about an attitude. I havent been blown away by the originality of anything I've heard so far. Some of its cool, but nothing ground breaking.

and why can't anyone sing anymore? Whats the deal. Where all all the good singers??

While I'm not El Presidente and my membership has been revoked due to the "Journey incident" of '06... I would like to recommend that you check out all and/or some of the following bands... Minus The Bear, Riddle Of Steel, The Life and Times, Mogwai, Open Hand, Burning Airlines, HUM, Pelican, Mono, Pinback, Roman Numerals, Roma 79, Bloc Party... that's all I can of off the top of my head right now.
"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax... "

Nick Evans

www.nickolusevans.com

j.hall

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2006, 10:40:00 AM »

MorningStar wrote on Fri, 24 February 2006 08:57

I think I need El Presidente to give me a list of whats hot at the moment...

i'm not an encyclopedia of indie rock bands!

i'll tell you what i'm into, but indie rock is a HUGE world that exist just under the surface of the mainstream.  there are so many bands, and i have so little time.

i typically only get exposed to the indie bands that have landed decent deals with decent promotion and distro, or i happen to catch them at a show and buy the record.

yes, i still buy most of my CD's at shows, and about 90% of my wardrobe comes from shows.

i think we should honestly start with the past.

i bought my first fugazi record (repeater) cause i thought the band's name was cool, and i saw the dischord imprint on the back.

if it weren't for that record i would have continue my listening trends into a life of metal.  it's no secret people, j.hall has a major soft spot for metal.....

so, let's go to the roots of j.hall's entrance into indie rock.

records appear in the closest order, i can remember, in which i acquired them.

1.  Fugazi - repeater
2.  Jawbox - Grippe
3.  Helmet - meantime
4.  Minor Threat - Discography
5.  Quicksand - Slip
6.  Fugazi - 13 songs
7.  Fugazi - Steady Diet Of Nothing
8.  Drive Like Jehu - Yank Crime
9.  Helmet - Strap It On
10. Nation Of Ulysseys - Plays Pretty For Baby
11. Rocket From the Crypt - Scream Dracula, Scream
12. Shudder To Think - Pony Express Record

i'm sure the time line is completely screwed on that.

when i was a teenager i was buying tons of records.....all my money was going to it.  i would buy records if they were on labels i liked.......if the band's name was cool....whatever.

here is a list of indie rock records to note.

burning airlines - identikit (or mission: control, both records are GREAT)
sunny day real estate - LP2
afghan whigs - congregation
boys life - departures and land falls
braid - frame and canvas
shellac - 1000 hurts, at action park, terraform
june of 44

the list is way too long!

more recent stuff that's caught my attention

bullet train to vegas
the valley arena
new black
minus the bear
the life and times

j.hall

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2006, 10:42:45 AM »

cdr-1 wrote on Fri, 24 February 2006 09:18

"indy rock is just bad punk"

i might have agreed with that if indie rock used less then three chords per song all of which were power chords.  since it doesn't, i'd have to say that "alt country" is just bad punk.
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.