R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Down

Author Topic: New to the forum and looking to start trouble..... Indie Rock???  (Read 14819 times)

MorningStar

New to the forum and looking to start trouble..... Indie Rock???
« on: February 23, 2006, 09:39:45 AM »

Like the title says I'm new around here and I think I need someone to tell me what Indie Rock would be. Independent Artists?? Unsigned?? Whinny,Oversensitive, Bar Chord Playing, Twenty Somethings that want to sound EXACTLY like the last band that was just on the radio (with a lot of WHOAs in the chorus)??????

So someone try to let me know so I know what I'm in for...

archtop

Re: New to the forum and looking to start trouble..... Indie Rock???
« Reply #1 on: February 23, 2006, 11:22:21 AM »

Imposter.

I could tell
because analog wasn't mentioned.
Richard Williams

MorningStar

« Reply #2 on: February 23, 2006, 11:31:18 AM »

Who needs analog.... I've got plugins for that..and I can put them everywhere.. Make the drums sound like one tape machine... vocals sound like another... Guitars on a studer, bass on Otari... Razz  Evil or Very Mad

Anyway back to the question.... INDIE????

pg666

MorningStar

« Reply #4 on: February 23, 2006, 11:57:20 AM »

pg666 wrote on Thu, 23 February 2006 11:47

http://search.barnesandnoble.com/booksearch/isbnInquiry.asp? z=y&isbn=0316787531&itm=1

Thats 15 years old! How does that help? Thats almost vintage! Would that be classic "indie"?

pg666

« Reply #5 on: February 23, 2006, 12:10:18 PM »

the book was put out in 2001..

and yeah, if you're interested in learning about it, you might as well go straight to the classics.

plus, almost all the people involved are still kickin' around.

NelsonL

« Reply #6 on: February 23, 2006, 12:46:28 PM »

I went to a mastering session last weekend where the ME was saying that his most challenging clients are indie rockers-- they're the most opinionated.

As for the question above, just fake it until you make it cuz the kids can smell fear.

I'll be in Brooklyn this weekend helping open a new project studio, if I see any indie rockers I'll send them out to Jersey to explain themselves!

El Presidente should be along any minute...

MorningStar

« Reply #7 on: February 23, 2006, 01:55:34 PM »

rattleyour wrote on Thu, 23 February 2006 12:46

I think a visit from the President would be a good thing. I would expect someone to come up with some kind of answer to this eventually. I mean - you've got a whole forum dedicated to it! Doesnt seem like there's anything different going on here than anywhere else.... just different faces...

So whats the deal? Is it a sound?? Like Motown? Surf music of the 60's.... Modern Punk?? Can a jam band be indie? Can a rock band be indie? Can an indie band be rock??

Should I be handeling "indie" clients differntly ? Is the band going to sound indie despite what I do as an engineer? Do I need certain gear to achieve an Indie sound?? Should some gear be avoided because its not indie enough?

I think these are real questions that should be answered. Right???

Iain Graham

« Reply #8 on: February 23, 2006, 02:14:53 PM »

rattleyour wrote on Thu, 23 February 2006 17:46

I thought you meant the band from Glasgow. I was trying to figure out how they were indie rock.....

Iain

*badly need a day off, alcohol has stopped working*
Iain Graham

www . iain - graham . com

http://www.myspace.com/iain_graham

www . soundart . com

MorningStar

« Reply #9 on: February 23, 2006, 02:17:18 PM »

Iain Graham wrote on Thu, 23 February 2006 14:14

I thought you meant the band from Glasgow. I was trying to figure out how they were indie rock.....

Iain

A mexican band from Glasgow- now that sounds indie!!!

garret

« Reply #10 on: February 23, 2006, 02:26:58 PM »

MorningStar wrote on Thu, 23 February 2006 13:55

So whats the deal? Is it a sound?? Like Motown? Surf music of the 60's.... Modern Punk?? Can a jam band be indie? Can a rock band be indie? Can an indie band be rock??

Should I be handeling "indie" clients differntly ? Is the band going to sound indie despite what I do as an engineer? Do I need certain gear to achieve an Indie sound?? Should some gear be avoided because its not indie enough?

Let's see if I can make things even more confusing.

A rock band can be indie.  An indie band can be rock.  But not necessarily.... Guns and Roses was a rock band.   Definitely not indie.   Belle and Sebastian are indie, but not rock.  Most indie bands are on small independent labels, or unsigned.  There are some exceptions who make the jump and keep their indie cred.  Modest Mouse would be one example...

Most jam bands _cannot_ be indie rock.   Instrumental wanking is off-limits in indie rock.  There are very few exceptions... Built to Spill is one of them.

Indie = independent of major labels... fresh, without commercial intent, do-it-yourself, etc.  Heritage goes back to punk bands, but the genre is more open-ended.  There are indie bands that are inspired by surf music (Los Straitjackets), 70s jazz fusion, or 60s french pop.  You get to be called indie pretty easily.  You only get to be called indie rock if you bring the rock.  Otherwise, you are called twee or more generously indie pop.  That's where I get shoved.

As for handling indie rock clients, you might want to get familiar with a short list of indie heroes.

Off the top of my head...

Yo La Tengo
Built to Spill
Sonic Youth
Modest Mouse
Pavement
Fugazi
My Bloody Valentine
Guided by Voices
Neutral Milk Hotel
Flaming Lips
Interpol
Mogwai
Pixies
Sea and Cake
Sigur Ros
Stereolab
Tortoise

More here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_indie_rock_artists

tomorrow is already here - http://www.worksongs.net/

NelsonL

« Reply #11 on: February 23, 2006, 02:34:28 PM »

MorningStar wrote on Thu, 23 February 2006 11:17

Iain

Yer a mole! Myspace reveals an affilaition w/ Kevin AKA The Viking who was among the first to be exiled by El Presidente for Felonious Alanis w(h)orship. [Edit: the H is optional. Heh.]

Move along people. There's nothing to see here...

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/125850/898/?SQ= 836f4ba9664c8098cbb3274ee27a180c#msg_125850

What do you like your MP1A on?

MorningStar

« Reply #12 on: February 23, 2006, 03:04:34 PM »

rattleyour wrote on Thu, 23 February 2006 14:34

MorningStar wrote on Thu, 23 February 2006 11:17

Iain

Yer a mole! Myspace reveals an affilaition w/ Kevin AKA The Viking who was among the first to be exiled by El Presidente for Felonious Alanis w(h)orship. [Edit: the H is optional. Heh.]

Move along people. There's nothing to see here...

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/125850/898/?SQ= 836f4ba9664c8098cbb3274ee27a180c#msg_125850

What do you like your MP1A on?

NO MOLE!! He cant answer the question either!!! I cant be exiled, I dont have membership! I'm kinda like a diplomat. I get to go where I want and not pay my parking tickets. and if you'll notice, I appeared in that thread in support of the president....

And I like the MP1A on bass guitar, I like to run the subkick through it on kick drum, bass cabs. Its also great on brass.

MorningStar

« Reply #13 on: February 23, 2006, 03:10:04 PM »

garretg wrote on Thu, 23 February 2006 14:26

MorningStar wrote on Thu, 23 February 2006 13:55

Let's see if I can make things even more confusing.

A rock band can be indie.  An indie band can be rock.  But not necessarily.... Guns and Roses was a rock band.   Definitely not indie.   Belle and Sebastian are indie, but not rock.  Most indie bands are on small independent labels, or unsigned.  There are some exceptions who make the jump and keep their indie cred.  Modest Mouse would be one example...

Most jam bands _cannot_ be indie rock.   Instrumental wanking is off-limits in indie rock.  There are very few exceptions... Built to Spill is one of them.

Indie = independent of major labels... fresh, without commercial intent, do-it-yourself, etc.  Heritage goes back to punk bands, but the genre is more open-ended.  There are indie bands that are inspired by surf music (Los Straitjackets), 70s jazz fusion, or 60s french pop.  You get to be called indie pretty easily.  You only get to be called indie rock if you bring the rock.  Otherwise, you are called twee or more generously indie pop.  That's where I get shoved.

As for handling indie rock clients, you might want to get familiar with a short list of indie heroes.

Off the top of my head...

Yo La Tengo
Built to Spill
Sonic Youth
Modest Mouse
Pavement
Fugazi
My Bloody Valentine
Guided by Voices
Neutral Milk Hotel
Flaming Lips
Interpol
Mogwai
Pixies
Sea and Cake
Sigur Ros
Stereolab
Tortoise

More here:
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/List_of_indie_rock_artists

NOW we are getting somewhere! Here is the problem I have now. I understand the non-major part of it. But the FRESH, WITHOUT COMMERCIAL INTENT is where i get lost. Most people who talk indie , talk about bands that i think all sound exactly alike. There's nothing fresh about it. Everyone wants to sound exactly like what they are hearing on the radio.
I'm going to freshen up on some of the bands you listed so I can be hip again.
But with all that in mind.. wouldnt it be more indie to be a "rock" band?? Bringing back all that freshness of the late 60's? early 70's???

scott volthause

« Reply #14 on: February 23, 2006, 03:26:11 PM »

[/care][care]

oh look. i stopped caring before i even started.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 6   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.063 seconds with 19 queries.