R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sytek MPX-4Aii  (Read 17153 times)

carlsaff

Re: Sytek MPX-4Aii
« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 09:23:25 AM »

Not sure what jimmyjazz will say, but a one or two-channel John Hardy M-1 seems like a logical next step up:

http://www.johnhardyco.com/prices.html

jimmyjazz

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 10:34:47 AM »

carlsaff wrote on Wed, 22 February 2006 09:23

Not sure what jimmyjazz will say, but a one or two-channel John Hardy M-1 seems like a logical next step up:

Yeah, that's a good choice.  

I'm a big fan of Dan Kennedy's Great River preamps.  Fletcher sells them.  I just noticed a single-channel ME-1NV on his site for $1075.  Throw in an FMR RNP ($475) and you have 3 channels of pretty nice preamplification for what, $1,550?  That will get you one channel of "classic" and two channels of "pretty clean", and I think all 3 will have more character than the Sytek.  For a REALLY clean 2-channel pre, the Great River MP-2 or MP-2H is hard to beat, but they're in the John Hardy range ($1600/$2150).

twonky

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2006, 12:16:28 PM »

Well, I am not specifically looking for really clean, rather, quality and good sound. As I tend to do mostly rock w/ the big guitars and such, something w/ a little mojo that leaned towards ditorted guitars and big drums would be good.

hurricaneE

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006, 01:55:08 PM »

twonky wrote on Wed, 22 February 2006 17:16

Well, I am not specifically looking for really clean, rather, quality and good sound. As I tend to do mostly rock w/ the big guitars and such, something w/ a little mojo that leaned towards ditorted guitars and big drums would be good.

I guess APIs are out of your budget.  I think the Portico 5012 is great on both drums (no silk, except maybe snare) and guitars (silk or no silk).  Great on vocals, too.  -E
Eric Tischler

hurricaneE

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2006, 01:57:05 PM »

carlsaff wrote on Wed, 22 February 2006 14:23

That's a good idea, too.  Buy without meters and save money.  -E
Eric Tischler

jimmyjazz

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2006, 03:18:21 PM »

twonky wrote on Wed, 22 February 2006 12:16

Personally, I like "clean" overheads for rock drums (or any drums for that matter).  Plus, that clean 2-channel preamp is incredibly useful for things like vocals, acoustic guitars, etc.

Your mileage may certainly vary!

ricknroll

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2006, 03:32:05 PM »

Although the Sytek web site still reads, "The Burr-Brown op amp is a high-quality amplifier that results in a warmer, tube-like response in contrast to the clean, ultra-fast response of our standard amp," Mike told me the Burr-Brown opamps that are currently available are not very different sounding from the stock ones he normally uses.  I bought my Sytek a few years back and there is a significant difference, but that was before Burr-Brown was purchased by TI and the design changed.  As far as preamps I own are concerned, I usually pick API, Great River, or Chandler before using the Sytek.

-Rick

twonky

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 11:44:23 AM »

Allright- so do guys think that the Sytek would be a noticable improvement from my Allen & Heath GS3 preamps? If not I may just spend this incoming $$ on some mics and little stuff.

jimmyjazz

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 12:59:00 PM »

twonky wrote on Thu, 23 February 2006 11:44

Allright- so do guys think that the Sytek would be a noticable improvement from my Allen & Heath GS3 preamps?

I can't help you there.  I haven't used the A&H preamps.  I would say this -- the Sytek preamps are known to be a very good value, so unless the A&H preamps "cost" on the order of those in the Sytek (per channel), you're probably looking at a sonic improvement.  How much, I can't say.  

Have you asked about Sytek's return policy in the event you purchase one and don't feel it's a worthwhile improvement over your current preamps?

twonky

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2006, 01:17:07 PM »

[quote title=jimmyjazz wrote on Thu, 23 February 2006 10:59    

Have you asked about Sytek's return policy in the event you purchase one and don't feel it's a worthwhile improvement over your current preamps?[/quote]

I have not, that would be a good next step.

Fair enough though, thanks for the info.

Ian

yhomas

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2006, 05:32:18 PM »

In your situation, might it be possible that spending $700-800 on two channels rather than four would be better?

The DAV BG1 probably fits into the same category as the Sytek.  Some people have reported that the BG1/BG2 preamps are better than the Sytek (and they should be at twice the price per channel).
http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?t=54537

And also there is the Hamptone.

Just something to consider.

- Tommy

twonky

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2006, 11:33:58 AM »

Tommy thanks for the info, the BG1 get raves!

It worries me that most people are doing acoustic music almost exclusively, I am doing rock nearly all the time. I dont mind somethings that lends to good coloration or flattering exageration for heavily overdriven guitars and big drums.

I mean, its all in how you use it, I guess.

Buzz

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2006, 06:17:36 PM »

http://www.seventhcirclestudios.com/SCA/SCA.htm

Later
Buzz

I have the MPX4 and it is a nice clean pre IMO

karlo

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2006, 09:09:32 PM »

while mic pre's will have a definite effect on a final quality of reproduced material, i find microphones to be much more important. what's in your mic locker?

twonky wrote on Tue, 21 February 2006 12:18

I am considering a set of mic pres to augment my Allen&Heath GS3. I know mic pres have been covered to death but I must ask:

If one records a lot of rock/metal and every once in a while some sweet jam bands who get their glorious tones from sweet gear like the Digitech RP1 thru one of those solid state Fender Twins, should he buy this set of preamps, or kill himself in the face?

I like the price on these and instead of buying some presonus or Mackie 800r thingy, I would like to actually improve uon what I already have.

Would the MPX-4Aii be good for general rock stuff?

thanks for any info you may have

Ian

theo mack

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2006, 11:13:13 PM »

carlsaff wrote on Wed, 22 February 2006 06:23

If it were me, I'd buy a 4 ch hardy frame with one M1 + tranny and meter option. adding more ch later.

the sytek is nice, but dunno. seems better to save for something else.

just my .02
BTW I own syteks and hardys. syteks only get used when I'm out of hardys.
theo mack
Freelance Audio Guy

Las Vegas, NV.
Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.041 seconds with 16 queries.