R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Down

Author Topic: Sytek MPX-4Aii  (Read 17111 times)

twonky

Sytek MPX-4Aii
« on: February 21, 2006, 03:18:53 PM »

I am considering a set of mic pres to augment my Allen&Heath GS3. I know mic pres have been covered to death but I must ask:

If one records a lot of rock/metal and every once in a while some sweet jam bands who get their glorious tones from sweet gear like the Digitech RP1 thru one of those solid state Fender Twins, should he buy this set of preamps, or kill himself in the face?

I like the price on these and instead of buying some presonus or Mackie 800r thingy, I would like to actually improve uon what I already have.

Would the MPX-4Aii be good for general rock stuff?

thanks for any info you may have

Ian

Re: Sytek MPX-4Aii
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 03:27:20 PM »

twonky wrote:

I am considering a set of mic pres to augment my Allen&Heath GS3. I know mic pres have been covered to death but I must ask:

If one records a lot of rock/metal and every once in a while some sweet jam bands who get their glorious tones from sweet gear like the Digitech RP1 thru one of those solid state Fender Twins, should he buy this set of preamps, or kill himself in the face?

I like the price on these and instead of buying some presonus or Mackie 800r thingy, I would like to actually improve uon what I already have.

Ian

Yes. With the Burr-Brown Op-Amp's in channels 3+4. Really nice.

twonky

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 03:39:26 PM »

yeah, all the reviews say it super clean, that makes me a little nervous but I consider my Allen&Heath to be a little...grainy for lack of a better word.

I would really like a good set of pres for the kick and over heads and electric guitar
Burr-Browns are good I take it?

Vertigo

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 03:40:47 PM »

Quote:

I'd say go with "kill himself in the face". But if that's no longer an option then yeah - you won't go wrong with the Sytek.

-Lance

twonky

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 03:42:42 PM »

Lance-

I like the way you think!

bleen

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 04:24:38 PM »

Be certain to get some Shure or AT inline pads if you get the Sytek; there are no pads on the pre and they have a lots of gain even at "0", so if you're micing drums/loud gtr/etc, you'll want the inline pad.

Other than that, they're great pre's!

twonky

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 04:25:59 PM »

Oh yeah, in reading a little more on the site, you can apparently get the Burr-Brown op-amps on all the channels, is that reccomended.

Is it a matter of taste?

What would Steve Albini do for his PC based set up? Shocked

Again, thanks a heap.

Ian

carlsaff

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 05:30:16 PM »

bleen wrote on Tue, 21 February 2006 15:24

lots of gain even at "0"

This is true. However, when I went to Mike Stoica to purchase my second MPX-4Aii, I asked him to modify it for lower input gain, and he obliged. I can't remember how much extra it cost me, so it must not have been that much. Can't hurt to ask (though he was probably less busy back in '97-'98).

SirDonut

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 07:24:42 PM »

The Mackie 800R is worth a look. I bought an onyx because I needed a compact console for cheap and I was quite surprised at how useable the onyx preamps are. I used to use the Sytek preamps occasionally and i'd say both the sytek and mackie have that unflattering sound goin' for them.

/don't shoot!

twonky

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 11:00:55 PM »

Uh oh!

Dont be throwin' doubt all up in the piece, SirDonut!

What, praytell, do you find unflattering about them?

Ian

SirDonut

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 11:22:34 PM »

twonky wrote on Wed, 22 February 2006 04:00

Uh oh!

Dont be throwin' doubt all up in the piece, SirDonut!

What, praytell, do you find unflattering about them?

Ian

Uh, the punchy bass, extended midrange, and the smooth highs? No wait, I enjoy the rich highs.

I just never remember putting the sytek on a source and saying "wowza!"
I get the same sensation from the onyx, which is "hey, that sounds pretty good."

Plus with the mackie you get converters and an M/S decoder.
Someone kick me in the nuts and hurry for I am talking up a mackie product.

(by the way twonky I think you should skip the sytek or mackie and instead look into getting one or two NICE preamps instead of 4 or more 'ok' preamps. It sounds like you're wanting a pre or some pres with some real CHARACTER and the sytek just don't have it. It's very neutral.)

twonky

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 11:33:04 PM »

WEll, you aint wrong I would like some pres w/ some...charazzma. I would love to get some APIs but, the lunchbox itself is like half the price of the Sytek unit!

But I am also trying to get multiple good ones for location recordings which are becoming an increasing reality for me.

So far you are the only one doubting the Sytek, now, I am not saying you're crazy er nuthin.

But your voice is a lonely one.

That being said the Mackie does get good marks and the Mid/Side and possibly nicer converters than my Echo Laylas would be cool.

I am just at the point that I would like to make a long term purchase that will help me achieve thick and groovy tones for years to come instead of allright ones from the Guitar Center.

Is someone gonna tell this joker hes crazy?!? Very Happy

Or does he have a good point?

jimmyjazz

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 12:14:48 AM »

I have a basic Sytek, no Burr-Browns.  It's quite good for the money.  I'd say it's "clean with a slight veil".  I've used one with the Burr-Browns, and they seem to slow things down a bit but have more meat.

I don't know if you can do a whole lot better for the money.  Maybe a pair of FMR RNPs, but then you don't have the option of different chips.

Or, as another poster suggested, you might consider spending the same amount of money on a 2-channel preamp of substantially better quality.  It's hard to argue with quality.

maxim

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 12:26:40 AM »

jimmyjazz wrote:

"Or, as another poster suggested, you might consider spending the same amount of money on a 2-channel preamp of substantially better quality."

like?

twonky

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 09:06:28 AM »

twonky leans in...

carlsaff

« Reply #15 on: February 22, 2006, 09:23:25 AM »

Not sure what jimmyjazz will say, but a one or two-channel John Hardy M-1 seems like a logical next step up:

http://www.johnhardyco.com/prices.html

jimmyjazz

« Reply #16 on: February 22, 2006, 10:34:47 AM »

carlsaff wrote on Wed, 22 February 2006 09:23

Not sure what jimmyjazz will say, but a one or two-channel John Hardy M-1 seems like a logical next step up:

Yeah, that's a good choice.  

I'm a big fan of Dan Kennedy's Great River preamps.  Fletcher sells them.  I just noticed a single-channel ME-1NV on his site for $1075.  Throw in an FMR RNP ($475) and you have 3 channels of pretty nice preamplification for what, $1,550?  That will get you one channel of "classic" and two channels of "pretty clean", and I think all 3 will have more character than the Sytek.  For a REALLY clean 2-channel pre, the Great River MP-2 or MP-2H is hard to beat, but they're in the John Hardy range ($1600/$2150).

twonky

« Reply #17 on: February 22, 2006, 12:16:28 PM »

Well, I am not specifically looking for really clean, rather, quality and good sound. As I tend to do mostly rock w/ the big guitars and such, something w/ a little mojo that leaned towards ditorted guitars and big drums would be good.

hurricaneE

« Reply #18 on: February 22, 2006, 01:55:08 PM »

twonky wrote on Wed, 22 February 2006 17:16

Well, I am not specifically looking for really clean, rather, quality and good sound. As I tend to do mostly rock w/ the big guitars and such, something w/ a little mojo that leaned towards ditorted guitars and big drums would be good.

I guess APIs are out of your budget.  I think the Portico 5012 is great on both drums (no silk, except maybe snare) and guitars (silk or no silk).  Great on vocals, too.  -E
Eric Tischler

hurricaneE

« Reply #19 on: February 22, 2006, 01:57:05 PM »

carlsaff wrote on Wed, 22 February 2006 14:23

That's a good idea, too.  Buy without meters and save money.  -E
Eric Tischler

jimmyjazz

« Reply #20 on: February 22, 2006, 03:18:21 PM »

twonky wrote on Wed, 22 February 2006 12:16

Personally, I like "clean" overheads for rock drums (or any drums for that matter).  Plus, that clean 2-channel preamp is incredibly useful for things like vocals, acoustic guitars, etc.

Your mileage may certainly vary!

ricknroll

« Reply #21 on: February 22, 2006, 03:32:05 PM »

Although the Sytek web site still reads, "The Burr-Brown op amp is a high-quality amplifier that results in a warmer, tube-like response in contrast to the clean, ultra-fast response of our standard amp," Mike told me the Burr-Brown opamps that are currently available are not very different sounding from the stock ones he normally uses.  I bought my Sytek a few years back and there is a significant difference, but that was before Burr-Brown was purchased by TI and the design changed.  As far as preamps I own are concerned, I usually pick API, Great River, or Chandler before using the Sytek.

-Rick

twonky

« Reply #22 on: February 23, 2006, 11:44:23 AM »

Allright- so do guys think that the Sytek would be a noticable improvement from my Allen & Heath GS3 preamps? If not I may just spend this incoming $$ on some mics and little stuff.

jimmyjazz

« Reply #23 on: February 23, 2006, 12:59:00 PM »

twonky wrote on Thu, 23 February 2006 11:44

Allright- so do guys think that the Sytek would be a noticable improvement from my Allen & Heath GS3 preamps?

I can't help you there.  I haven't used the A&H preamps.  I would say this -- the Sytek preamps are known to be a very good value, so unless the A&H preamps "cost" on the order of those in the Sytek (per channel), you're probably looking at a sonic improvement.  How much, I can't say.  

Have you asked about Sytek's return policy in the event you purchase one and don't feel it's a worthwhile improvement over your current preamps?

twonky

« Reply #24 on: February 23, 2006, 01:17:07 PM »

[quote title=jimmyjazz wrote on Thu, 23 February 2006 10:59    

Have you asked about Sytek's return policy in the event you purchase one and don't feel it's a worthwhile improvement over your current preamps?[/quote]

I have not, that would be a good next step.

Fair enough though, thanks for the info.

Ian

yhomas

« Reply #25 on: February 23, 2006, 05:32:18 PM »

In your situation, might it be possible that spending $700-800 on two channels rather than four would be better?

The DAV BG1 probably fits into the same category as the Sytek.  Some people have reported that the BG1/BG2 preamps are better than the Sytek (and they should be at twice the price per channel).
http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?t=54537

And also there is the Hamptone.

Just something to consider.

- Tommy

twonky

« Reply #26 on: February 24, 2006, 11:33:58 AM »

Tommy thanks for the info, the BG1 get raves!

It worries me that most people are doing acoustic music almost exclusively, I am doing rock nearly all the time. I dont mind somethings that lends to good coloration or flattering exageration for heavily overdriven guitars and big drums.

I mean, its all in how you use it, I guess.

Buzz

« Reply #27 on: February 24, 2006, 06:17:36 PM »

http://www.seventhcirclestudios.com/SCA/SCA.htm

Later
Buzz

I have the MPX4 and it is a nice clean pre IMO

karlo

« Reply #28 on: February 24, 2006, 09:09:32 PM »

while mic pre's will have a definite effect on a final quality of reproduced material, i find microphones to be much more important. what's in your mic locker?

twonky wrote on Tue, 21 February 2006 12:18

Ian

theo mack

« Reply #29 on: February 24, 2006, 11:13:13 PM »

carlsaff wrote on Wed, 22 February 2006 06:23

If it were me, I'd buy a 4 ch hardy frame with one M1 + tranny and meter option. adding more ch later.

the sytek is nice, but dunno. seems better to save for something else.

just my .02
BTW I own syteks and hardys. syteks only get used when I'm out of hardys.
theo mack
Freelance Audio Guy

Las Vegas, NV.

« Reply #30 on: February 25, 2006, 12:25:49 PM »

Buzz wrote on Fri, 24 February 2006 23:17

http://www.seventhcirclestudios.com/SCA/SCA.htm

Later
Buzz

I have the MPX4 and it is a nice clean pre IMO

Ditto - I think you should take a look at these.  If you're "financially challenged" this is the way to go.

I have all four flavors.  For your rockin purposes, take a look at the A12 and N72..

Mike

twonky

« Reply #31 on: February 27, 2006, 02:11:02 PM »

karlo wrote on Fri, 24 February 2006 19:09

while mic pre's will have a definite effect on a final quality of reproduced material, i find microphones to be much more important. what's in your mic locker?

Great question! I have been thinking about that as well,

2 x ADK A51
5x Shure SM57
2x Sennheiser 421
matched pair of Earthworks TC30k
Shre Beta 52
CAD E 200 ( i think that's the model #)
Behringer ECM3000 (cheap omni mics)
AKG c2000 ( i think that's the model #)
AT ATM 25
some little Radio Shack clip on mics like the sennheiser E603s

I am thinking about getting an SM7 for vocals and a pair of small diaphragm condensers. But I dont know what else I need.

Thanks for any info

Ian

karlo

« Reply #32 on: February 27, 2006, 06:57:38 PM »

while your mic locker will cover your basic needs, i recommend getting that sm7 or ev re20, plus a decent tube lcd BEFORE investing into another preamp.
people on budget - RNP is good. sytek too. unless you're auditioning the entire mix (10+ tracks at once) you will not notice any improvement over your on-board pre's.
are you digital?
if you're going thru some kind of converter and back, it better be a good one - otherwise you should stick with your board pre's.
this is to tell you that no matter how great the improvement of your pre's - what you put into it (mic) and the path before hitting its final destination (converters, processing, etc.) can be even more important.
good luck

twonky

« Reply #33 on: February 28, 2006, 09:28:02 AM »

Karlo-

Thanks, I am digital. Could the SM7 or RE20 work well for guitars too?

the SM7 or the RE20 do seem like mics I need to have one of. At this point I gotta choose between the two. I have seen a lot of people the RE20 on kicks. But my main reason for getting something like the sm7 is for loud vocals. Which one of these mic seems more versitile?

All that being said, i guess i would really have to jump to a high dollar pre to notice any qualitative difference in sound?

thanks

spoon

« Reply #34 on: February 28, 2006, 01:44:39 PM »

twonky wrote on Tue, 28 February 2006 08:28

Karlo-

Thanks, I am digital. Could the SM7 or RE20 work well for guitars too?

the SM7 or the RE20 do seem like mics I need to have one of. At this point I gotta choose between the two. I have seen a lot of people the RE20 on kicks. But my main reason for getting something like the sm7 is for loud vocals. Which one of these mic seems more versitile?

Either of these two will work for guitars equally well.  In fact they are two of the most versatile dynamics around (and the MD421).
You will not go wrong with either purchase.

Good Luck,
spoon

Juergen

« Reply #35 on: March 25, 2006, 09:30:37 PM »

If you're ideally shooting for APIs, then you might wanna check out OSA preamps...apparently there's a lot of people like them.

Personally, I have not had any experience with APIs or Syteks, nor OSAs.

juergen
Signature: The fakultative signature, which will appear with the soil of your reports
Pages: 1 2 3 [All]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.164 seconds with 21 queries.