R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sytek MPX-4Aii  (Read 17151 times)

twonky

Sytek MPX-4Aii
« on: February 21, 2006, 03:18:53 PM »

I am considering a set of mic pres to augment my Allen&Heath GS3. I know mic pres have been covered to death but I must ask:

If one records a lot of rock/metal and every once in a while some sweet jam bands who get their glorious tones from sweet gear like the Digitech RP1 thru one of those solid state Fender Twins, should he buy this set of preamps, or kill himself in the face?

I like the price on these and instead of buying some presonus or Mackie 800r thingy, I would like to actually improve uon what I already have.

Would the MPX-4Aii be good for general rock stuff?

thanks for any info you may have

Ian

Re: Sytek MPX-4Aii
« Reply #1 on: February 21, 2006, 03:27:20 PM »

twonky wrote:

I am considering a set of mic pres to augment my Allen&Heath GS3. I know mic pres have been covered to death but I must ask:

If one records a lot of rock/metal and every once in a while some sweet jam bands who get their glorious tones from sweet gear like the Digitech RP1 thru one of those solid state Fender Twins, should he buy this set of preamps, or kill himself in the face?

I like the price on these and instead of buying some presonus or Mackie 800r thingy, I would like to actually improve uon what I already have.

Would the MPX-4Aii be good for general rock stuff?

thanks for any info you may have

Ian

Yes. With the Burr-Brown Op-Amp's in channels 3+4. Really nice.

twonky

« Reply #2 on: February 21, 2006, 03:39:26 PM »

yeah, all the reviews say it super clean, that makes me a little nervous but I consider my Allen&Heath to be a little...grainy for lack of a better word.

I would really like a good set of pres for the kick and over heads and electric guitar
Burr-Browns are good I take it?

Vertigo

« Reply #3 on: February 21, 2006, 03:40:47 PM »

Quote:

I'd say go with "kill himself in the face". But if that's no longer an option then yeah - you won't go wrong with the Sytek.

-Lance

twonky

« Reply #4 on: February 21, 2006, 03:42:42 PM »

Lance-

I like the way you think!

bleen

« Reply #5 on: February 21, 2006, 04:24:38 PM »

Be certain to get some Shure or AT inline pads if you get the Sytek; there are no pads on the pre and they have a lots of gain even at "0", so if you're micing drums/loud gtr/etc, you'll want the inline pad.

Other than that, they're great pre's!

twonky

« Reply #6 on: February 21, 2006, 04:25:59 PM »

Oh yeah, in reading a little more on the site, you can apparently get the Burr-Brown op-amps on all the channels, is that reccomended.

Is it a matter of taste?

What would Steve Albini do for his PC based set up? Shocked

Again, thanks a heap.

Ian

carlsaff

« Reply #7 on: February 21, 2006, 05:30:16 PM »

bleen wrote on Tue, 21 February 2006 15:24

lots of gain even at "0"

This is true. However, when I went to Mike Stoica to purchase my second MPX-4Aii, I asked him to modify it for lower input gain, and he obliged. I can't remember how much extra it cost me, so it must not have been that much. Can't hurt to ask (though he was probably less busy back in '97-'98).

SirDonut

« Reply #8 on: February 21, 2006, 07:24:42 PM »

The Mackie 800R is worth a look. I bought an onyx because I needed a compact console for cheap and I was quite surprised at how useable the onyx preamps are. I used to use the Sytek preamps occasionally and i'd say both the sytek and mackie have that unflattering sound goin' for them.

/don't shoot!

twonky

« Reply #9 on: February 21, 2006, 11:00:55 PM »

Uh oh!

Dont be throwin' doubt all up in the piece, SirDonut!

What, praytell, do you find unflattering about them?

Ian

SirDonut

« Reply #10 on: February 21, 2006, 11:22:34 PM »

twonky wrote on Wed, 22 February 2006 04:00

Uh oh!

Dont be throwin' doubt all up in the piece, SirDonut!

What, praytell, do you find unflattering about them?

Ian

Uh, the punchy bass, extended midrange, and the smooth highs? No wait, I enjoy the rich highs.

I just never remember putting the sytek on a source and saying "wowza!"
I get the same sensation from the onyx, which is "hey, that sounds pretty good."

Plus with the mackie you get converters and an M/S decoder.
Someone kick me in the nuts and hurry for I am talking up a mackie product.

(by the way twonky I think you should skip the sytek or mackie and instead look into getting one or two NICE preamps instead of 4 or more 'ok' preamps. It sounds like you're wanting a pre or some pres with some real CHARACTER and the sytek just don't have it. It's very neutral.)

twonky

« Reply #11 on: February 21, 2006, 11:33:04 PM »

WEll, you aint wrong I would like some pres w/ some...charazzma. I would love to get some APIs but, the lunchbox itself is like half the price of the Sytek unit!

But I am also trying to get multiple good ones for location recordings which are becoming an increasing reality for me.

So far you are the only one doubting the Sytek, now, I am not saying you're crazy er nuthin.

But your voice is a lonely one.

That being said the Mackie does get good marks and the Mid/Side and possibly nicer converters than my Echo Laylas would be cool.

I am just at the point that I would like to make a long term purchase that will help me achieve thick and groovy tones for years to come instead of allright ones from the Guitar Center.

Is someone gonna tell this joker hes crazy?!? Very Happy

Or does he have a good point?

jimmyjazz

« Reply #12 on: February 22, 2006, 12:14:48 AM »

I have a basic Sytek, no Burr-Browns.  It's quite good for the money.  I'd say it's "clean with a slight veil".  I've used one with the Burr-Browns, and they seem to slow things down a bit but have more meat.

I don't know if you can do a whole lot better for the money.  Maybe a pair of FMR RNPs, but then you don't have the option of different chips.

Or, as another poster suggested, you might consider spending the same amount of money on a 2-channel preamp of substantially better quality.  It's hard to argue with quality.

maxim

« Reply #13 on: February 22, 2006, 12:26:40 AM »

jimmyjazz wrote:

"Or, as another poster suggested, you might consider spending the same amount of money on a 2-channel preamp of substantially better quality."

like?

twonky

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 09:06:28 AM »

twonky leans in...
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.075 seconds with 21 queries.