R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: BALLS OUT saturation of a stereo mix  (Read 7465 times)

nicholastaplin

BALLS OUT saturation of a stereo mix
« on: April 03, 2011, 08:41:32 AM »

I've recently discovered that switching up my compressors, now with my (stereo) Dramastic Audio Obsidian 500 on drum mix, and my stereo pair of Distressors on the whole mix, yields really exciting results.  Like bizarrely good results.  I'd like a stereo or dual mono compressor that can do the "Balls Out" saturation/distortion of the Distressors, but with a cleaner signal when it's not performing this process.  I have the best version of the Thermionic Culture Culture Vulture (mastering/Anniversary edition) but I've come to understand that that unit is only really an effects box and has no use as a whole mix processing device.  Does anyone know if a pair of Crane Song Trakkers would give me what I want?  Those seem to be the only compressors on the market that are regarded for their high fidelity as well as their coloring options.  I have the Crane Song HEDD and think the A/D is really wonderful (only when clocked to the Apogee C777), and the saturation processing is neat but not capable of the extreme kind of brickwall saturation I'd like to be able to put on whole mixes.

Nicholas Taplin

p.s. I think the EL Fatso JR sounds horrible btw.

Fletcher

Re: BALLS OUT saturation of a stereo mix
« Reply #1 on: April 03, 2011, 02:02:41 PM »

Nobody knows if something will work for you or not... only you'll know that.  What I can tell you from my experience is that the Trakker is a damn fine unit I've found to be exceptionally helpful in my work... but as always... YMMV.

Peace.
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

nicholastaplin

« Reply #2 on: April 03, 2011, 02:44:26 PM »

Then what's the point of an audio forum if people can't give each other advice?  I've only changed my profile name so that I can be more accountable to this forum and not be an antagonizing troll nor encourage others to do so.

Nicholas

Fletcher

« Reply #3 on: April 03, 2011, 04:59:54 PM »

My advice would be to try a pair of Trakkers and figure out if they work for you or not...
CN Fletcher

mwagener wrote on Sat, 11 September 2004 14:33
We are selling emotions, there are no emotions in a grid

"Recording engineers are an arrogant bunch
If you've spent most of your life with a few thousand dollars worth of musicians in the studio, making a decision every second and a half... and you and  they are going to have to live with it for the rest of your lives, you'll get pretty arrogant too.  It takes a certain amount of balls to do that... something around three"
Malcolm Chisholm

DigitMus

« Reply #4 on: April 03, 2011, 08:27:34 PM »

I agree. I tried 'em and I've never regretted using them at any point in my signal chain (tracking, busses, LR BUSS, etc...).

recall

• Real Full Name: iwan morgan
« Reply #5 on: April 04, 2011, 02:51:24 PM »

Drive a Sebatron VMP at 0db pad and attenuate the output. 

DarinK

« Reply #6 on: April 04, 2011, 07:16:16 PM »

Trakkers always sound pretty clean to me, even with lots of their "color."  I haven't used a HEDD, but I doubt the Trakkers are any more extreme.  I've never intentionally overloaded my Trakkers (that would take a whole lot of signal) so I'm not sure how they'd respond in that circumstance.
Have you considered using parallel compression?  It might be kind of a hassle to figure out how to best do that with the main 2-buss, but it might help you get what you want with the gear you already have.

Waltz Mastering

• Real Full Name: Tom Waltz
« Reply #7 on: April 06, 2011, 02:36:46 PM »

Hard to know what's meant by balls out saturation... I've tried Distressors and a Fatso on the 2 mix and they've never floated my boat... a little to grimey

One thing I would want to try just because of the glowing reviews and price would be the Foote P3S.
...anyone mixing through this?

bleen

« Reply #8 on: April 06, 2011, 06:09:50 PM »

One thing I would want to try just because of the glowing reviews and price would be the Foote P3S.

<raises hand>MEEEE!!!!

I've been mixing through one for almost a year and a half (I have SN.002). I can get really clean from it (particularly if I bypass the Carnhill output trannies - which I never do...), or subtle character or really slam the snot out of it. The funny thing is, it never sounds bad doing any of those things. Roger's really come up with a brilliant piece of, IMO, desert island gear with the P3S.
don gunn
mixing guy
http://www.dongunn.com

rosshogarth

« Reply #9 on: April 08, 2011, 12:50:11 PM »

try driving your mix harder into the HEDD
the HEDD actually saturates
turn up those little fun knobs on the box
and do what prolly most of us wouldn't do to the mix and see if you like it
or
get a couple of sherman filters
mult your mix to them and feed that back into your mix
that will sound might erode the pacific coastline if your not careful
The practice of forgiveness is our most important contribution to the healing of the world.

The standard of success in life isn't the things. It isn't the money or the stuff. It is absolutely the amount of joy that you feel.

Steve Hudson

« Reply #10 on: April 09, 2011, 08:50:03 AM »

get a couple of sherman filters
mult your mix to them and feed that back into your mix
that will sound might erode the pacific coastline if your not careful

Ross, you say that like it would be a bad thing!

(with salutations from the Third Coast)

iCombs

• Real Full Name: Ian Combs
« Reply #11 on: April 15, 2011, 12:13:32 PM »

Hard to know what's meant by balls out saturation... I've tried Distressors and a Fatso on the 2 mix and they've never floated my boat... a little to grimey

My mastering guy just got one.  I can't really say how it sounds as a 2-buss compressor, as he wasn't using it in that fashion, but I can say that it is a pretty slick piece.  With the sidechain filter and the feed forward/feedback switches, you can make it do a few pretty clever things.  I brought in some mixes where the snare had a bit too much point on it...and the Foote did a wonderful job of taming that point without obliterating everything else in the mix (granted...this was a fairly drums-forward mix, so it was pretty easy to just grab the snare transient without hammering the rest of the track).  I was generally impressed with its flexibility in this regard...but like I said...I don't know how it'd react as a  2-buss compressor.

Starfishmusic

• Real Full Name: Adam Seitzman
« Reply #12 on: May 30, 2011, 04:28:00 PM »

I just got a slate pro audio dragon crazy color options with this thing. I hear two are great on the buss.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.055 seconds with 24 queries.