R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Is Engineer Still a Proper Title?  (Read 16400 times)

Patrick Brannen

Is Engineer Still a Proper Title?
« on: February 19, 2006, 06:12:50 AM »

In this day and age of underqualification and complete lack of training, is engineer still a proper title?
Perhaps "Studio Guy" or "Pro Tools Dude" might be a bit more accurate. Is the basic understanding of electronics no longer required? Are we engineers?

covert

Re: Is Engineer Still a Proper Title?
« Reply #1 on: February 19, 2006, 11:14:04 AM »

Well, I have never driven a train.

Bob Olhsson

« Reply #2 on: February 19, 2006, 11:57:16 AM »

The difference between a train driver and an engineer is that the engineer has the ability to fix the locomotive if it breaks down in the middle of nowhere.

Joe Crawford

« Reply #3 on: February 19, 2006, 12:51:13 PM »

According to the Wikipedia: “An engineer is someone who practices the profession of engineering – a person who uses scientific knowledge to solve practical problems using technology.”  (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Engineer)

The key word in that is “profession”.  Again, defined by the Wikipedia as: “A profession is an occupation that requires extensive training and the study and mastery of specialized knowledge, and usually has a professional association, ethical code and process of certification or licensing. Examples are law, medicine, finance, the military, nursing, the clergy and engineering.” (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Profession)

Also, the “ethical code” in most branches of engineering (at least those that I am familiar with) requires that you maintain full knowledge of, and apply the current standards of technology in any work performed.  There are many on this board that have earned and deserve the title of “engineer” through many years of training and hard work.  However, I doubt most of us come close to those standards, at least in the area of audio production.  We probable fit more readily into the “technician” category or even the “hobbyist” category.

Joe Crawford
Stony Mountain Studio
Shanks, WV 26761

John Ivan

« Reply #4 on: February 19, 2006, 04:02:56 PM »

The term/Title Engineer is overused IMHO. I for instance, am not a proper engineer. My Dad? He's a proper Engineer. Not only can he record the music, he, through his extensive knowledge, can predict what pitfall's or problems might occur. Not just because he's done it a lot but because he understands theory.

He can draw you a schem' for a pre amp on a napkin and so on.

Now, do we all need to know this stuff to use our ears and dial up the sounds? No, I suppose not but it sure as hell wont hurt.

I think there are certain things we should all know without question and I am always trying to learn more. Always. I've mentioned before that at 42 years old {coming up},I am looking at 2 years of school to have the basics nailed down better.

Me? Engineer? Not really.The word has been misused for a long time.
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Ronny

« Reply #5 on: February 19, 2006, 09:27:18 PM »

You engineered that post very well, Ivan.  Very Happy
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

John Ivan

« Reply #6 on: February 19, 2006, 10:42:03 PM »

Smile
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

wwittman

« Reply #7 on: February 19, 2006, 11:42:11 PM »

IN the UK it's always been BALANCE engineer, as distinct from technical or design engineers.. I still think that's a reasonable and accurate designation.
William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Malcolm Boyce

« Reply #8 on: February 19, 2006, 11:57:09 PM »

I embrace a trend away from "engineered" to "recorded by".  I suppose originally professional recordists had background in electrical engineering, but that would be rare in this age.  I cringe when I get resumes from folks with "degrees" in "audio engineering".

I don't know what it's like elsewhere, but here in Canada, using "engineer" in an official capacity without the degree and the PEng. will get you in trouble... as even Microsoft found out not too long ago:

http://www.ccpe.ca/e/pub_news_02_03.cfm

I don't know how this translates to our world, but I don't mind it at all.  My brother has an iron ring on his hand because of his education, and his job.  I can understand him getting pissed off when someone with 10 months at an unregulated school calls themselves an "engineer".

I was just part of a discussion on another forum, where someone referred to a colleague of mine as a "licenced audio engineer"...  I wanted to know how to get one of them licences, and if you have extensions like "able to operate air brakes and analog tape machines"...

I'll be curious to see what more folks think.

Ron Steele

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 11:59:45 PM »

Quote:

BALANCE engineer

Cool

That works for me.

Now the only questions are,

how important is the "balance engineer" to the sound of the band?

Ans when is it appropriate for the "balance engineer" to impose his balance on the band?

Laughing
 "I have had PLENTY of my posts torched on other boards. It kind of goes with the territory of pushing the envelope. Their house, their rules. Why can't everyone GET this?"

Patrick Brannen

« Reply #10 on: February 20, 2006, 03:52:45 AM »

Ballance Engineer? Really? People are actually using that title?
Rolling Eyes I think "Chiefton of Audio Standards" has a better ring.

Ronny

« Reply #11 on: February 20, 2006, 08:59:53 AM »

What if the balance engineer is a bit off balance?

In this day and age, if you want to call yourself an audio engineer as relative to the older days of being able to fix anything that breaks, you have to be a computer programmer.  Smile

------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------