R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Orange County Vocal Stressor schemos/docs  (Read 6092 times)

peyemp

Orange County Vocal Stressor schemos/docs
« on: December 02, 2005, 03:30:02 AM »

anyone gots ?

or does anyone know which rock to look under ?

thanks !

Brian Roth

Re: Orange County Vocal Stressor schemos/docs
« Reply #1 on: December 02, 2005, 05:42:50 AM »

The "OCALX"?

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

peyemp

« Reply #2 on: December 02, 2005, 02:23:50 PM »

Brian,

that may be the designation on the schematics.  This says "OC VS-1" on the front panel and "model number 'FR-1'" on the back panel.

Brian Roth

« Reply #3 on: December 03, 2005, 04:49:08 AM »

"OCALX" is the name used in the operations manual I have.  However, it is obviously "pasted in" over some other designation.  OC had a major legan run-in with Audio Design Recording over the name and functionality, so this may be the name they changed it to after the legal problems.

A quick glance shows multiple circuit boards inside.  What do you find in your unit?

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

John Klett

« Reply #4 on: December 03, 2005, 08:59:04 AM »

there are two versions of the Orange County stuff I have seen.  The very first ones were clones of the A&DR stuff - largely discrete circuitry - one could use the A&DR schematics and docs to work on those.  Then O.C. changed over to a largely IC based design with more or less similar architecture but the amplifiers became bipolar IC opamps...  most of the O.C. vocal stressors one finds extant are the IC based units they went to after banging heads with Audio & Design Recording.  The most common failure I have seen in the later O.C. units are that the voltage regulators pop.  I have A&DR drawings but as far as I can remember I don't have any O.C. docs...  though I remember fixing one for someone years ago and they had the docs but for one reason or another I did not make a copy to keep.  The alignment proceedure does not carry over from the original A&DR design to the later O.C. design... in fact the alignment proceedure A&DR provided for their own units is not quite right when you get down to it...
John Klett / Tech Mecca
http://www.technicalaudio.com

Greg Norman

« Reply #5 on: December 07, 2005, 04:15:04 PM »

Is there something in particular that you need to work on?  I might have the right schematic at least.

peyemp

« Reply #6 on: December 07, 2005, 07:01:24 PM »

Hi Greg,

yes, I have a unit here with some loose leads in the rear of the compressor module (which connects the audio boards to the rear plate).  I have no idea where the leads should go...  

If you know the unit, you will know that they are impossible to work on.  The modules must be seated into the rear connectors to function properly, not to mention the stacked boards inside each module which cannot be accessed when the unit is powered up,,, making tracing literally impossible.  

This is the opamp version of the Vocal Stressor.

Greg Norman

« Reply #7 on: December 08, 2005, 08:06:44 PM »

Hey peyemp,
Man this module has 7 pc boards!  What a mess.

There is a pc board on that rear-inner plate.  That is the power supply/regulator board.  Are the loose leads gray or colored (colored being the PS sends to the compressor mother board)?

The board gets fed 24vac (2 windings), and +-18vac (center tapped).  
From the top down on the outside edge of the PS board I have:
-2 green wires (soldered to the same pad)= +24vdc grounds (both going to the audio mother board)
-2 red wires (soldered to the same pad) = +24vdc (one wire going to the main back panel connector, the other going to the audio m-board)
-1 black wire = -18vdc to audio m-board
-1 yellow wire = +18vdc to audio m-board
-1 green wire = bipolar ground to audio m-board

If the loose wires are gray, they are the different audio and control sends that go to the main back panel connector.  There should be a block diagram on the top panel of the module that has the pin-out of that connector.

On my device,  it appears that the 4 boards in the edge connectors serve specific purposes- "compressor side chain " (discrete), "peak limiter side chain" (discrete), "expander/gate side chain" (discrete), and "variloss type II"? (monolithic op amp board).  See if your other boards fit that description.

You can remove the top and bottom panels of the module, and the mother box to at least test around on the top board (with everything plugged in).  Like you said, you can't really bench test this unless it is docked with the mother ship.  

If what I'm talking about seems to correlate with what you have, I might have some diagrams that will help.

« Reply #8 on: February 18, 2006, 05:30:21 AM »

I am the founder of Orange County Electronics and was chief designer and product manager for the units you are discussing.

If anyone is in a real jam, I have all the docs, schematics and parts lists on microfilm.

Also, one of our former engineers provides service, updates, refurbs, etc. for the entire product line: Contact Michael Franzmann at inbox@mmelec.com or +204.788.4450

Let me know if I can be of any assistance. I am retired and available in the afternoons (CST).

Michael.
+204.943.9000

« Reply #9 on: February 19, 2006, 03:28:35 AM »

Michael,

I've got a vocal stressor that's been out of comission for probably 10 years - so long that I can't remember what's not working.  I've hesitated tearing into it because of the lack of info available, but if there was a schematic available I would tackle the job.

Is there any chance you could get the info into a form that could be posted online?  Or even if you could print out the docs from microfilm, I would gladly scan and post them for others to use as well.

Let us know..  I enjoyed using the vocal stressor, back when it was working.

Thanks!

Mike

Michael Gillespie wrote on Sat, 18 February 2006 10:30

I am the founder of Orange County Electronics and was chief designer and product manager for the units you are discussing.

If anyone is in a real jam, I have all the docs, schematics and parts lists on microfilm.

Also, one of our former engineers provides service, updates, refurbs, etc. for the entire product line: Contact Michael Franzmann at inbox@mmelec.com or +204.788.4450

Let me know if I can be of any assistance. I am retired and available in the afternoons (CST).

Michael.
+204.943.9000

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.031 seconds with 20 queries.