R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Pro Tools - Injecting noise  (Read 4202 times)

David Hoover

Pro Tools - Injecting noise
« on: March 28, 2011, 02:36:02 PM »

I have Pro Tools 8.0.4, 003 Rack + Factory.  I've been finishing up a song on my home studio setup and have noticed that when I bounced the song, it injects noise.  What I've done is mixed the song at 44.1KHz 16bit, then bounced it at that same quality in stereo.  I then opened up the stereo file in a new session at the same quality so that I can tweak EQs and compression (I can't call it mastering because I don't have good enough equipment/room/etc. for mastering).  In this session, there is now noise in the file.  I have a PAZ spectrum analyzer and it shows noise from 10k and up, getting louder as it goes up to 20k.  I tried multiple mono and even tried playing it in Windows Media Player.  Same hissing 10k and up.  Does you know what might be causing this?  There is no noise at all in the multi-track session, but as soon as I bounce it, there is noise that shows up in the file.

Mo Facta

Re: Pro Tools - Injecting noise
« Reply #1 on: March 30, 2011, 11:13:41 AM »

How loud is the noise?

All I can think of is that dither noise is being added somehow.  You say the project/session was recorded at 16-bit/44.1? 

Cheers :)
Quote from: Slipperman
That'll learn those arrogant LA *bleeps*.

http://shiftedaudio.co.za
http://gregbester.xp3.biz

David Hoover

« Reply #2 on: March 31, 2011, 11:25:53 AM »

How loud is the noise?

All I can think of is that dither noise is being added somehow.  You say the project/session was recorded at 16-bit/44.1? 

Dithering noise isn't this loud I don't think.  Yes, the session was recorded and bounced at 16-bit/44.1kHz.  We did use a lot of midi tracks with XPAND.  Does that inject any of it's own noise upon bouncing? 

Would it benefit me to try bouncing the same product on my laptop?  I use a 1TB USB2 external HD for everything, so I can just plug it in and try it.  I can't see it making a difference because it's digital processing  :o

Mo Facta

« Reply #3 on: April 01, 2011, 12:00:13 PM »

Yeah, I figured it might be a long shot to pin it on dither noise.  It's just that the fact that it was boosted in the top end rang some bells because dithering noise shaping curves are usually quite steeply boosted up there. 

Anyhoo, ya got me.

Quote from: Slipperman
That'll learn those arrogant LA *bleeps*.

http://shiftedaudio.co.za
http://gregbester.xp3.biz

David Hoover

« Reply #4 on: April 01, 2011, 05:09:15 PM »

Yeah, I figured it might be a long shot to pin it on dither noise.  It's just that the fact that it was boosted in the top end rang some bells because dithering noise shaping curves are usually quite steeply boosted up there. 

Anyhoo, ya got me.

:'(

Extreme Mixing

« Reply #5 on: April 01, 2011, 06:41:09 PM »

This is almost certainly pilot error.  Trash your preferences and try your bounce again.  There is a preference trashing application on the DUC. 

Maybe you should try recording to disk instead of bouncing.  Puzzling that you only hear it on playback and not while you're mixing.

I wouldn't know how to make your problem happen, or how to make it go away.  It's very odd.

David Hoover

« Reply #6 on: April 02, 2011, 08:02:51 PM »

This is almost certainly pilot error.  Trash your preferences and try your bounce again.  There is a preference trashing application on the DUC. 

Maybe you should try recording to disk instead of bouncing.  Puzzling that you only hear it on playback and not while you're mixing.

I wouldn't know how to make your problem happen, or how to make it go away.  It's very odd.

Thanks, I'll try it.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.057 seconds with 22 queries.