R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: A thread about wall construction  (Read 19006 times)

Thomas@Northward

• Real Full Name: Thomas Jouanjean
Re: A thread about wall construction
« Reply #15 on: April 21, 2011, 04:33:06 PM »

What kind of measurements are we talking about here?

Also, what mind of construction would you recommend here for the floors and ceilings?

If needed we leave a measurement rig for a few days to measure various levels in continuous (noise, vibrations). Not very expensive usually.

A floating floor isn't hard to implement, but the calculations need to be very well done and the design well though out. There are only a few ways you can do that anyway. There is a thread from a few weeks ago that references different providers of such systems.

http://repforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/topic,984.0.html

But you will need an engineer (structural or acoustician) to calculate that for you and do the floor / "box-in box" design.
Northward Acoustics - Engineering and Designs.
http://www.northwardacoustics.com
Pro Audio Partners:
ATC Professional Loudspeakers
FOCAL Professional Loudspeaker
AMC Mecanocaucho Systems

ShakesTheClown

« Reply #16 on: April 22, 2011, 05:15:04 AM »

This is pretty intimidating.

Any suggestions of who I would contact near Dallas, Texas?

franman

• Real Full Name: Francis Manzella
« Reply #17 on: April 23, 2011, 12:01:15 PM »

Nick,

I can only agree with the advice to float a proper floor and room for your location. Where are you?? Concrete floating floors are fairly 'permanent'.. Is this a lease of own situation? What type of ceiling height do you have to start with?? These are all serious questions that need to be considered...

The measurements are straight ahead hi res LF airborne tests as well as some type of accelerometer measurements to quantify the level of structure borne vibration. From the info provided you will need some type of relatively heavy floating room to mitigate the street noise (vibration) and to do this without bothering your neighbors.

FM
Francis Manzella
President - FM Design Ltd www.fmdesign.com
Managing Director - Griffin Audio USA www.griffinaudiousa.com

ExcuseMe

• Real Full Name: Shane Galls
« Reply #18 on: April 30, 2011, 04:21:11 PM »

Maybe I'm too new to understand some of this, but I didn't think sound-proofing some walls or even a room was that huge of a deal.  I've seen people use all sorts of things, with various results.  Of course using superior equipment is better, but I've seen people use sound curtains and egg cartons and get pretty good closure. 
<3 facebook statuses that don't suck

franman

« Reply #19 on: May 01, 2011, 09:15:00 PM »

I'm sorry ExcuseMe, but curtains and "egg crates" have no effect on sound proofing (sound isolation). These are both low tech solutions for sound treatment and arguably have little effect in that use either (well, the curtains will certainly absorb high/mid frequencies, but the egg crates?? I don't know....)

With regard to sound isolation or "sound proofing" mass and air space are required and a scientific approach is the best way as it quantifies what the existing STC (sound transmission class) is based on the existing construction, and how much improvement is required. Of course, all things are budget driven so sometimes, we just specify the best solution a particular customer can afford...

The distinction between sound isolation (construction) and acoustic treatments is an important one that our clients (and readers) should understand so we can better discuss questions relating to these two broad and separate topics... No flame intended at all.. just clarification.

FM
Francis Manzella

franman

« Reply #20 on: May 01, 2011, 09:19:16 PM »

Nick,  Ironically I will be in Dallas this coming week, but I'm totally booked up for the two days I'm there. Russ Berger is local, but I doubt he will get involved unless there is a real budget. I'm in and out of Dallas for the next few months on construction review of another project. If you would like to discuss a consult, let me know...

Also you can contact Mark Genfan at Acoustic Spaces (based in Austin). He's an old friend and I'm sure he could help you out. (he's on the forum but I can't recall his username....)

FM

This is pretty intimidating.

Any suggestions of who I would contact near Dallas, Texas?
Francis Manzella

Genfan

« Reply #21 on: May 02, 2011, 09:20:10 AM »

Thanks Fran--already been talking to Nick for a week or two! Looking at solutions that meet reality of budget situation. 

franman

« Reply #22 on: May 03, 2011, 07:38:36 PM »

Nick.. his username is Genfan... 8)
Francis Manzella

ShakesTheClown

« Reply #23 on: May 03, 2011, 08:38:55 PM »

Ha!

ExcuseMe

• Real Full Name: Shane Galls
« Reply #24 on: May 10, 2011, 04:48:04 PM »

Oh, I'm sorry.  I didn't catch that we were specifically talking about sound isolation.  Yeah, low-tech soundproofing isn't going to do much for that.  I have had some luck with sound curtains and sound isolation, though.  The better quality ones do market to that.  I agree that sound isolation is important and should be done well, though. 
<3 facebook statuses that don't suck

Wireline

« Reply #25 on: May 20, 2011, 09:48:06 AM »

Nick, a couple of thoughts from a fellow Texan in a strip mall locale...(I'm in Midland)

- Windows:  when the wind starts blowing like a banshee, those huge windows can resonate loud enough to hear.  What we ended up doing was putting up interior bracing to stabilize them, R19 in the spaces, and decorative boarding on the outside - also gave the place a much higher security level.

- Ceiling: You not only share a slab, but a roof - that's been our biggest battle.  When planning to make the room in a room thing, plan for that, as well as extending HVAC, etc...

- Future Building:  I don't know where you are in Dallas, but where I leased in Midland has dramatically changed over the past 3 years...Since I've been at the current location, major construction has gone on with 1/4 mile of me, thus making isolation (and dust) control almost impossible.  Check with the city to find out if there are building permits - if so, plan to add more isolation now, as its a lot cheaper now than to retrofit.

- Neighbors: before laying down one piece of wood, find out who your neighbors are and get friendly with them.  Two weeks after I opened, the place next door decided to become a loud bar with bands and a full liquor license - changed their noise level so in my tracking area with their bands playing, I was reading 60dB!!!  Took the city council to intervene.

Just some more things to think about regarding noise...
Ken Morgan
Wireline Studio
Midland, TX

franman

« Reply #26 on: May 21, 2011, 10:44:31 AM »

Ken,

That is ALL very good advice! the part about future building and knowing thy neighbors should be advice for all those considering construction in commercial locations.

FM
Francis Manzella
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.108 seconds with 18 queries.