R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 3m m79  (Read 21132 times)

3m m79
« on: February 14, 2006, 04:50:23 PM »

Not really a specific question for Steve, but what is the general concensus about a 3m m79 (24trk). Parts are getting hard to find, but overall, what the goods, the bads, and the in-betweens? I've used most other brands, but the studio that had one that I was going to use got a newer MCI JH-24. Never got a chance to use it. And there is this guy who has one for $1500, but it needs new rollers. Thanks.

J.Powers

mcsnare

Re: 3m m79
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 05:18:05 PM »

Incredible sounding deck, I've owned 2 of em and a 1/4". Fat, punchy and with the right mods clear and quiet.
They are a maintenance nightmare. Get a JH-24 and just have a maintenance bad dream instead of a nightmare.
Dave McNair

wwittman

« Reply #2 on: February 15, 2006, 12:20:43 AM »

my PERSONAL opinions:

The 3M machines sound MUCH better than MCI's (which I frankly think sound lousy)

but a good sounding machine that doesn't run is of no use to you, so unless you have real maintance, skip it.

I'd suggest an A800, or an MTR 90.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

Slipperman

« Reply #3 on: February 15, 2006, 02:14:34 AM »

wwittman wrote on Wed, 15 February 2006 00:20

my PERSONAL opinions:

The 3M machines sound MUCH better than MCI's (which I frankly think sound lousy)

but a good sounding machine that doesn't run is of no use to you, so unless you have real maintance, skip it.

I'd suggest an A800, or an MTR 90.

My personal opinion is that wwittman is from the anti-matter universe and I might hafta strangle him in the time tunnel thingie that joins his universe to the one I reside in.

Just kidding... of course.

Anyhoo.

I think a well maintained jh24 beats the flying fuck outta the A800 from a euphonic character standpoint, and certainly the utterly DREADFUL MTR-90.

Mark WHATEVER.

Guys who can't keep them(JH24) running might wanna check into another profession as they are the SIMPLEST MACHINE TO WORK ON IN THE HISTORY OF THE EARTH.

OK. I'm exaggerating again.

The Coleman stove is a little bit easier.

Parts are mostly easy to get and when these machine break.... they break in the same BORING and PREDICTABLE fashion. I manage to keep 4 of them running around the clock with very few problems at all.

Go figure.

The 3M's are LOVED sonically. I used to work on both M79 and the M56 quite a bit. My old boss and mentor could fix them in his sleep. I just found silly ways to stress and destroy them. By all accounts... they are somewhat tougher to keep flying.

In any case:

Come over to the dark side.

Help to hurl wwittman and that whole generation of 'Studer Snobs' under the bus.

Buy a JH24.

SM.

I refuse to be part of any club that would have me as a member. - G. Marx

mcsnare

« Reply #4 on: February 15, 2006, 02:47:22 PM »

WW, I usually agree with you, but I have to side with Slippy on this one. I think MTR-90's sound like a microwave TV diner. I MIGHT take an A-800 over a JH-24, but for reasons other than sound. JH-24's are super detailed sounding compared to a Studer. The MCI might be a LITTLE light in the bottom, but I'd rather have the detail. Also much cheaper to fix when they break and at this point ant Studers out there have enough milage on em to be as problematic as an MCI. Note to J., find a late model Sony JH-24C, they ROCK. My .02
Dave McNair

drumsound

« Reply #5 on: February 16, 2006, 11:37:02 PM »

J.  My room sounds a lot like the room you described.  I still have the M79 and when the JH24 went down recently I tracked basics with the 3M and she still sounds great (It possibly belonged to McSnare).  Mine has been modded and rebuilt and it still has its quirks.  So I got the JH24 and though it sounds different, I believe it sounds quite nice.  Fixing its recent problem was a lot simpler and cheaper then when the M79 goes down...

meverylame

« Reply #6 on: February 17, 2006, 04:50:04 PM »

If you get it, learn the name Doug Weeks...
Cheers!
Jason Kingsland

http://www.jasonruinsrecords.com

« Reply #7 on: February 17, 2006, 05:33:14 PM »

drumsound wrote:

J. My room sounds a lot like the room you described. I still have the M79 and when the JH24 went down recently I tracked basics with the 3M and she still sounds great (It possibly belonged to McSnare). Mine has been modded and rebuilt and it still has its quirks. So I got the JH24 and though it sounds different, I believe it sounds quite nice. Fixing its recent problem was a lot simpler and cheaper then when the M79 goes down...

What broke on your machine? I love 3M and Ive always wanted one. Im gonna be in the Portland area soon.... may I stop by?

mcsnare

« Reply #8 on: February 17, 2006, 08:27:10 PM »

Also Otho Wilburn in Athens Ga. I think his company is called Intense Audio. He know 3M's inside and out. Kinda like you will, if you get one....
Dave McNair

Jolly Ted

« Reply #9 on: February 18, 2006, 01:55:59 AM »

J. Powers,

We've been doing 3M M79 retorations, upgrades and service in California for some 25 years plus. We've got 3 M79's in the shop now for restoration work.

I love the sound of the M79's, but buying an "inexpensive" used machine usually means some required maintenance, unless the previous owner has kept it up. I Like the Studer's: A800's and A827's sound great with excellent reliability. I like the MCI's, but they sound less dynamic to me. The Otari's are OK, but the one's I've heard sound flat / thin to me compared to the Studers & M79's.

ALL machines will require regular maintenance, what ever you buy. Be sure that the heads, rollers & tape guides are in good condition on the machine. A new set of heads can cost much more than the price of the used machine! Plan $300 or more for a set of new rollers on the 2" M79. not including bearings.

Regarding used analog multi-tracks, expect to pay at least the price you paid for an inexpensive used machine in repairs and maintenence to bring it up to snuff. Some less or more than others.

PM me and I can give you some pointers and advice on the M79's.

Regards,

Ted Jolly
GRS Systems

drumsound

« Reply #10 on: February 18, 2006, 04:20:28 PM »

meverylame wrote on Fri, 17 February 2006 15:50

If you get it, learn the name Doug Weeks...

Yes, Yes and Yes.  Doug rebuilt mine and I consider him her Daddy!

drumsound

« Reply #11 on: February 18, 2006, 04:23:05 PM »

J.Powers wrote on Fri, 17 February 2006 16:33

drumsound wrote:

J. My room sounds a lot like the room you described. I still have the M79 and when the JH24 went down recently I tracked basics with the 3M and she still sounds great (It possibly belonged to McSnare). Mine has been modded and rebuilt and it still has its quirks. So I got the JH24 and though it sounds different, I believe it sounds quite nice. Fixing its recent problem was a lot simpler and cheaper then when the M79 goes down...

What broke on your machine? I love 3M and Ive always wanted one. Im gonna be in the Portland area soon.... may I stop by?

I had a bridge rectifier go bad on the MCI power supply.  The 3M Selectake II is not working right now.

You are welcome to come by my room, but it's nowhere near Portland.  I'm in Bloomington IL.

drumsound

« Reply #12 on: February 18, 2006, 04:28:21 PM »

mcsnare wrote on Fri, 17 February 2006 19:27

Also Otho Wilburn in Athens Ga. I think his company is called Intense Audio. He know 3M's inside and out. Kinda like you will, if you get one....
Dave McNair

I believe Otho Wilburn is doing high-end stereo stuff in Atlanta.  Intense Audio is long fucked (closed, no surprise there...).  Doug Weeks of Studio Tech 1 used to work with Otho and is still doing pro audio repairs and mods.

« Reply #13 on: February 21, 2006, 08:38:21 AM »

I wonder why I thought that you were in Portland, Tony. Huh.... on a side note, Bloomington is *lots* closer to me. Huh....?!

j.hall

« Reply #14 on: February 22, 2006, 05:59:55 PM »

my M79 is rocking.  i've only had one problem.  the capstan motor was running a bit slow.  a quick tweak to that and i've been rock solid ever since.

the transport design on these things is a bit screwy and they high wind faster then a jet engine.  although my deck packs tape like brand new reels.
Pages: [1] 2 3  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.081 seconds with 21 queries.