R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: DC Blocking, HPFs and their position in your chain  (Read 10266 times)

SafeandSoundMastering

• Real Full Name: Barry Gardner
  • My analogue rack
Re: DC Blocking, HPFs and their position in your chain
« Reply #15 on: April 03, 2011, 09:15:01 AM »

I hasten to add that this is largely because it is usually incorporated within the
limiter in use. I could do DC offset removal in Nuendo but I no longer trust it does what it is meant to be doing.
Barry Gardner
SafeandSound Mastering UK based online mastering studio.

phonon

• Real Full Name: Andrew Hamilton
« Reply #16 on: April 03, 2011, 10:52:16 AM »

今晩は, Gregg-san,

@phonon: Thanks! I do experiment a lot with the DC Filter with every track. I don't currently have the best monitoring in the world by a long shot, but I do hear "more effect" or "less effect" or "better sound" or "worse sound" when playing with the various options Elephant has to offer. It's very subtle though, but sometimes I can seemingly get the mix to "open up" a little without affecting any of the bass that I can actually hear. Will probably be a lot easier to work out once I get the ATCs!
  The monitoring chain (...from preamp to acoustics) should be your principal investment and instrument.   Without certainty there, all is speculation and anecdote.   
And re: putting the SRC after the limiting, in an ideal world that's exactly what I'd do, but the SRC I use (Voxengo R8Brain Pro Full) often creates peaks 6dB or higher than the source file, sometimes going over 0dBfs, and so I have found it easier/less time consuming to put it before the limiting stage.
If what you put right after the ADC is SRC, (I suppose) ...don't.   Just capture at 1x and shave one unnecessary layer of (theoretical) distortion from the chain in the "process."  :'(   

But if you can set your levels to limit while still at 2x, your SRC will have a purpose -  to share the beautifully-limited signal with the 1x clocks in your incus.  (:      The Lavry and Weiss real-time SRC's have the built-in feature of lowering the input signal's level so that the SRC output is less apt to clip.   However, I don't think there's more than 3dB of attenuation, plus proprietary "brute-force cybernetics" that the designers won't share.   

有り難う,
     Andrew
Serif Sound Mastering / Dingbat Lacquer Sound Disk
www.serifsound.com
www.dingbatlsd.com
1 (513) 542-3555

Hermetech Mastering

• Real Full Name: Gregg Janman
« Reply #17 on: April 05, 2011, 06:17:35 AM »

Thanks for all the interesting info!

I know about the monitoring chain, which is why I am soon looking to upgrade. I've found a place in Milan which will let me try out some ATC SCM50 ASL Pros and SCM20 ASL Pros, so I should get to hear them soon. Really looking forward to the upgrade and hoping it will allow me to hear things in much more detail, especially "down there". ;)

Can't see any way to realistically put the SRC after the limiting, unfortunately. It won't clip on certain tracks, but on MOST it will...
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.073 seconds with 21 queries.