R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: "Real Me" by The Who  (Read 13225 times)

ricknroll

"Real Me" by The Who
« on: February 14, 2006, 01:36:34 PM »

First off, I like The Who and I like this song, so the following criticism is not Who bashing.  However, what the hell is up with the drumming on this track?  It sounds like Keith Moon had only played the song once or twice before recording it, based on his random selection and placement of fills.  There's also a sort of hesitancy to his playing I don't typically hear in Who songs.  The bass playing drives me crazy too - besides the fact that it sounds like John Entwistle is ad-libbing the entire song, he also seems to think there's something wrong with playing anything below the 12th fret.  Does anyone know any stories behind this recording, like why they didn't practice a couple more times before rolling tape?

-Rick

rankus

Re: "Real Me" by The Who
« Reply #1 on: February 14, 2006, 02:01:56 PM »

The band was none too happy with Keith towards the end... to much booze and dope... this recording could be an example of this?  I dunno.. just speculating
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

the brill bedroom

« Reply #2 on: February 14, 2006, 06:18:57 PM »

Entwistle always claimed that was a first take- that he was just messing around over the track and they ended up keeping it. If anything, though, the Who were always masters at creating their own mythology, so take that with a grain of salt. I have to say, i think "Quadrophenia" is Keith moon's best album- incredibly powerful, melodic drumming. It was a bit later that things all went to shit (one can actually pinpoint it to the moment he moved to Malibu- all taht sunshine is no good for one's drumming).

I'm not one for messing with classics, but that is one album that could use a re-mix. the lead vocal is buried throughout. Not that I'd want to get rid of the original mix, but it would be interesting to hear what's going on on some of those tracks.
I have an Otari 8 track and a dream.   http://www.myspace.com/brillbedroom

J.J. Blair

« Reply #3 on: February 14, 2006, 09:45:23 PM »

This track is classic Who.  If you are complaining about the playing on this track, then you've never really heard the Who.  That was their style.  That's what made them the Who and made them better than any live band of that era.  They were a caged animal that you let out every time they played.  

The amazing thing to me is the way that Keith does his patented fills, and then picks back up the groove and is rock fucking solid the second he lays back into the beat.  They were parhaps the greatest rock and roll band ever, and this track translates all the raw aggression that the lyrics entail.  I don't think there is a record that has ever better captured teen angst and alienation than Quadraphenia.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

J.J. Blair

« Reply #4 on: February 14, 2006, 09:53:24 PM »

the brill bedroom wrote on Tue, 14 February 2006 15:18

I'm not one for messing with classics, but that is one album that could use a re-mix. the lead vocal is buried throughout. Not that I'd want to get rid of the original mix, but it would be interesting to hear what's going on on some of those tracks.

Brill, they DID remix that record back in I think it was 1996 or so.  When they were touring and performing the record live, that was the year.  I had always had a hard time with the record before then, because it never quite rocked hard enough for me.  The keys were too prominent and the drums were too far back, etc.

Do you have the version that was the remix?  It is a fucking masterpiece.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Jeff Sayers

« Reply #5 on: February 14, 2006, 10:43:33 PM »

wwittman

« Reply #6 on: February 14, 2006, 11:16:26 PM »

Quadraphenia is not my most favourite Who RECORDING... too much direct crappy sounding guitar for one thing, but it's certainly some terrific playing from all.

Later on, Townshend allegedly became annoyed at Moon's inability to play well to a click (or pre-existing track) but I'd take that with many grains of salt.
People get cranky with each other after so many years together... but that doesn't mean they were "unhappy" with his playing.

Moon was a one off.
Certainly a LARGE part of what made The Who, The Who.

I prefer Who's Next on ALL counts and ESPECIALLY the recording which is nothing short of brilliant (well, Glyn Johns vs Ron Nevison? not much contest there...)
but I'd hardly say that The Real Me isn't terrific for what it is.

and that bass playing is fairly incredible.
Try to write a bass line like that that ends up as MEMORABLE as that.

Try to imagine covering that song WITHOUT covering the bass line.

the entire POINT of The Who was inspired overplaying... that relentless CONTEST for the spotlight that's always going on both sonically and visually.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

hurricaneE

« Reply #7 on: February 14, 2006, 11:18:47 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 15 February 2006 02:45

This track is classic Who.  If you are complaining about the playing on this track, then you've never really heard the Who.  That was their style.  That's what made them the Who and made them better than any live band of that era.  They were a caged animal that you let out every time they played.  

The amazing thing to me is the way that Keith does his patented fills, and then picks back up the groove and is rock fucking solid the second he lays back into the beat.  They were parhaps the greatest rock and roll band ever, and this track translates all the raw aggression that the lyrics entail.  I don't think there is a record that has ever better captured teen angst and alienation than Quadraphenia.

Yup.  I think Quad is the greatest record ever made, due largely to the substance of the material, but not least of all because it fucking rocks.  (I do love the sound of that record, both pre- and post-remix, too.)   -E
Eric Tischler

patrick_wilson

« Reply #8 on: February 14, 2006, 11:42:27 PM »

That's interesting it strikes you as sloppy!

For me, that song is an instant stoker whenever it comes on.  Everyone is totally on fire, then the horns kick in with the chorus.  Total stoker, everyone is soloing all the time and I love it!!!
It's the sound of humans playing and I'm glad the click didn't work out for them.

Tidewater

« Reply #9 on: February 15, 2006, 01:58:28 AM »

It's my favorite Who song. It's completely ballistic, and so was he.

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

PaulyD

« Reply #10 on: February 15, 2006, 02:21:02 AM »

I love everything about Quadrophenia, including the sound. I remember it being called a "Rock Opera" and that's what the sound reminded me of: Like you were sitting in the balcony seats of a nice concert hall watching all this unfold. Yet at times, that album is so visual it takes you somewhere else...

Y'know, when people talk about great rock/pop song writers, you always hear everyone talk about John Lennon, Bob Dylan, Joni Mitchell, etc. You never hear Pete Townshend mentioned. As far as I'm concerned, Pete Townshend easily belongs in that group.

Paul

floodstage

« Reply #11 on: February 15, 2006, 07:03:52 AM »

29 years ago, when I was just starting to listen to music, I was ragging to a friend about the worthlessness of bass guitar in general.

He put on "The Real Me" and once I heard Entwistle's playing on that song, I understood how powerful the bass can be and ate every word.

That's one of my favorite songs on one of my favorite records ever.  

Different strokes I guess.

Hud Hudson

« Reply #12 on: February 15, 2006, 08:55:42 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Tue, 14 February 2006 20:53

Brill, they DID remix that record back in I think it was 1996 or so.  When they were touring and performing the record live, that was the year.  I had always had a hard time with the record before then, because it never quite rocked hard enough for me.  The keys were too prominent and the drums were too far back, etc.

Do you have the version that was the remix?  It is a fucking masterpiece.

Hey JJ, can you PM me the product number for the remixed version? I know I bought my copy of Quadrophenia on CD well before 1996 and would love to check out the new mix.

Thanks,

Hud
"The music business is a cruel and shallow money trench, a long plastic hallway where thieves and pimps run free, and good men die like dogs.  There's also a negative side."

- Hunter S. Thompson

mikemcdonald

« Reply #13 on: February 15, 2006, 10:16:44 AM »

wow- one of my faves as well.  listening to it always reminds me of the story/rumor that moon learned to play drums while playing along to an auto engine at his pop's shop. great sound/ great take.

maxdimario

« Reply #14 on: February 15, 2006, 11:05:57 AM »

The reason moon always came back on time is because that looseness in his playing was controlled looseness.

what people consider sloppy playing is often the result of playing with a specific feel in mind.

take away the swing and sway and it loses it.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.069 seconds with 22 queries.