R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: "Real Me" by The Who  (Read 13308 times)

Kendrix

Re: "Real Me" by The Who
« Reply #45 on: February 24, 2006, 12:39:04 PM »

JJ,

Thanks for posting those demos. I find it interesting how this most organic of bands just loved using the earlist sequencers.

As for Keiths drumming- isnt it amazing how no one has ever come even close to matching his "high entropy"/chaotic style.

The young Starkey did a very fine job playing with them ( on the Quad tour I saw).  However, only Keith is Keith - by a wide margin.  

The one time I got to see Moon live was at "the final" live performance of Tommy at the Lincoln Center in NYC- Musta been 1970.  They absolutely killed.  Moon appeared to be not too impaired and played really well.  This was such a special event that after the encore the crowd just appauded and cheered for about 30 minutes without stopping.  It was breathtaking.  Unfortunately, Pete took it the wrong way and ended up coming back on stage to berate the crowd for not being satisfied with the lenght of the performace.  
Man did he ever blow a really special moment.

Ken Favata

J.J. Blair

« Reply #46 on: February 24, 2006, 01:49:14 PM »

Check out the Frank Black tune "Freedom Rock" on Teenager of the Year.  I can't remember the drummer's name, but he does the absolutely best Moon impression I've ever heard on that track.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

minister

« Reply #47 on: February 24, 2006, 07:42:26 PM »

just came across this thread...

to me, THE WHO is best "ROCK 'N ROLL" band EVER!!  just my tastes.  i am not talking best musicians, etc, i am talking the SPIRIT of rock 'n roll!  incredible playing and creativity within in really limited abilities.  who cares if they weren't technically "fast" or falshy, what they played rocked and this track is an example of it.  it is on the verge of out of control and keith moon was one of the best drummers for ROCK!  i remember being REALLY impressed with a bass player in college who just DO that line, when my whacky college bands "Yardapes" & "Imperial Tout Farm" would play them.  (i was just into rock at the time)

of COURSE keith's playing doesn't make sense if you are expecing a metronome or a "pattern" player.  put steve gadd on that, and you have a completely different tune, all other things being equal!!!  i just love how you felt like the drums would just bust off the riser at any second.

the album was weird, so inconsistent, and the sound is crappy.  and the movie, well...i was a WHO fan so i had to see it.

sorry, if what i said has been coverd, i didn't wade through all posts, just wanted to bark at the moon with the rest of you dogs!

long live rock!
tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

Reitzas

« Reply #48 on: February 25, 2006, 02:36:20 AM »

J.J. Blair

« Reply #49 on: February 27, 2006, 05:22:25 PM »

OOF! wrote on Fri, 24 February 2006 06:02

any other demos would be more than mildly appreciated......
david lawrence

OK.  I went and did it.  I've archived all my Lifehouse demos (the groundwork for Who's Next).  It's uploading to my homepage and could take a while.  It's 2PM PST on Monday and I would wait at least an hour before I try to download the file.  BTW, it's 100mb worth of MP3s.

ENJOY!

LifehouseDemos.zip
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

OOF!

« Reply #50 on: February 27, 2006, 08:14:44 PM »

JJ-- you are a god among men.  thanks for posting these mp3s- can't get enough of these guys.
david lawrence

minister

« Reply #51 on: February 27, 2006, 08:29:25 PM »

damn!  JJ, yer a pimp!  where did you get that??

thanks man!

being a richard thompson fan,. i really like his version of SUBSTITUTE!   ...and his cover of the britney hit makes it a pretty cool song!
tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

J.J. Blair

« Reply #52 on: February 27, 2006, 10:50:08 PM »

I've got the Tommy demos, tooo.  Maybe after a while, I'll put those up.  I need the space right now though.
studio info

Fulcrum

« Reply #53 on: March 01, 2006, 09:40:34 AM »

Jim Curtis wrote on Tue, 21 February 2006 13:04

Hi everybody.  This is my first post here.  Great forum!

I wanted to comment on Moon's drumming.  If you're old like me, you may remember The Who's first performance on The Smothers Brothers... after they played, I think it was My Generation, the brothers talked to the band.  And Tommy Smothers asked Roger, "and who is this playing the sloppy drums?"

"Well, my friends call me Keith, but you can call me John."

Moon knew exactly what he was doing, even while he was loaded up on booze and pills. Sometimes he paid homage to the one, sometimes he scribbled all over it, but he was alwys in control-- albeit (as someone said above) loosely.

One of my two or three favorite drummers, period.
http://home.no.net/nightguy/images/TEAM-GALACTIC.gif

David Ballenger

« Reply #54 on: March 07, 2006, 06:53:55 AM »

Dave Reitzas, great little Video, a picture tells so much.  Answers a lot of questions.

JJ.  Love the Lifehouse demos.  So interesting to see what Pete Townsend demoed up himself versus how they turned out with the full band later.  They seem to all be longer and quite complete.  Clean, tight, clinical, well organized.  Seems to me he based his production around the synthesizers???  

J.J. Blair

« Reply #55 on: March 07, 2006, 11:30:34 AM »

Yeah, David.  If you notice, the synth tracks all made it onto the record.  This seemed to be the case for all subsequent Who records.  The demo synth tracks wound up staying for the final record.
studio info

minister

« Reply #56 on: March 07, 2006, 11:04:36 PM »

Reitzas wrote on Sat, 25 February 2006 01:36

Classic video!!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=lvtYVqxopZE&search=The%20 who

Dave Reitzas
http://www.reitzas.com
i saw that once on a PBS thing late at night.  what is that from?????

MAN!  why aren't hip hoppers sampling THAT!

frikkin' moooooooon!  i love the "fill face"  Mad
Twisted Evil  Shocked  Surprised

not only that :: I WANT ONE OF THOS HEADPHONE HELMUTS

H E A D P H O N E   H E L M U T!
tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

J.J. Blair

« Reply #57 on: March 08, 2006, 02:40:12 PM »

That footage was shot specifically for the movie "The Kids Are Alright".  I highly recommend the DVD.  I first saw this movie when I was ten, I think.  Wow.  Long live rock, indeed.
studio info

idiophone

« Reply #58 on: March 09, 2006, 12:41:38 AM »

"The Kids Are Alright" was just restored, and it looks like it was shot yesterday. If you haven't seen it, stop reading my stupid post and buy it.

The performance at the end where they do "Won't Get Fooled Again" has that famous moment where Daltrey does the scream, and Pete slides the length of the stage in slow motion on his knees.

It is the most rock-and-roll moment in rock n' roll, BAR FUCKING NONE.

~id
West and Wewaxation

wwittman

« Reply #59 on: March 09, 2006, 02:03:37 AM »

Well, I have a SLIGHTLY different take on it...

After having seen them many, many times live, and especially back before they became huge... there was a real rock and roll DANGEROUSNESS to them live.

By the time they did that tour with the lasers and the tapes and all, it was routine... the little Baba O'Reilly dance, flinging the tambourine into the audience, the Won't Get Fooled Again laser moment with the drum fills and then the lights come on, Pete slides cross stage and Roger screams... I saw it exactly the same way multiple times!
and while I can sympathise and relate, that repeatability makes it much LESS the definitive R&R moment and instead an iconic SHOWBIZ moment... just the sort of thing they would have hated only a few years before.

They were still capable of greatness but it had become such an extravaganza by then that they were only barely still the real Who.

The Tommy tour was The Who at their peak as a LIVE band, even though Who's Next is arguably their peak in the studio.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.03 seconds with 16 queries.