R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: "Real Me" by The Who  (Read 13230 times)

Bryson

Re: "Real Me" by The Who
« Reply #30 on: February 18, 2006, 10:25:38 PM »

I wish the Stones would work out their harmonies.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #31 on: February 20, 2006, 05:12:05 PM »

I love the Stones' harmonies.  Mick and Keith harmonize beautifully.

Anyway, here's the demo of the song that started this whole thread.  

Pete's Real Me demo
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

J.J. Blair

« Reply #32 on: February 20, 2006, 05:23:43 PM »

Or if the Quadraphenia album version is too chaotic for Rick, perhaps he would like the alternate soundtrack version?

The Real Me (re-recorded version)
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

Bryson

« Reply #33 on: February 21, 2006, 06:28:26 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Mon, 20 February 2006 14:12

[/url]

I've always dug'em too. They're very hard to cop due to their uniqueness.

« Reply #34 on: February 21, 2006, 01:04:06 PM »

Hi everybody.  This is my first post here.  Great forum!

I wanted to comment on Moon's drumming.  If you're old like me, you may remember The Who's first performance on The Smothers Brothers... after they played, I think it was My Generation, the brothers talked to the band.  And Tommy Smothers asked Roger, "and who is this playing the sloppy drums?"

hurricaneE

« Reply #35 on: February 21, 2006, 10:59:56 PM »

Thanks for the demo!  And another vote for Mick and Keith's harmonies; I couldn't stand to listen to Mick on song after song without them.  -E

J.J. Blair wrote on Mon, 20 February 2006 22:12

Anyway, here's the demo of the song that started this whole thread.  

Pete's Real Me demo

Eric Tischler

Bryson

« Reply #36 on: February 22, 2006, 12:51:08 AM »

Jim Curtis wrote on Tue, 21 February 2006 10:04

I wanted to comment on Moon's drumming.  If you're old like me, you may remember The Who's first performance on The Smothers Brothers... after they played, I think it was My Generation, the brothers talked to the band.  And Tommy Smothers asked Roger, "and who is this playing the sloppy drums?"

I think that was because he kicked them all over the place.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #37 on: February 22, 2006, 01:38:52 AM »

Not to mention the explosive charges in the kick drum that singed Pete's hair and caused his tinnitus years down the road.
studio info

wwittman

« Reply #38 on: February 23, 2006, 01:10:20 AM »

I think the explosives were in the dummy Beatle cab actually (although I think the story was that it was Keith who over-packed it)...

but really that makes about the 30th explanation for Peter's tinnitus, which for all we know could just as easily be genetic.

you should hear Geoff Daking's story about handing Keith some M-80's in a motel on 4th of July, on tour, and saying "whatever you do, DON'T flush it down the toilet"

about an hour later the plumbing exited the building out a side wall.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)

J.J. Blair

« Reply #39 on: February 23, 2006, 03:29:34 AM »

"whatever you do, DON'T flush it down the toilet"

That's just begging for trouble!
studio info

David Ballenger

« Reply #40 on: February 23, 2006, 06:07:55 AM »

I saw the Who's Next Tour and I guess it was the Quadrophenia Tour??  Both were in San Francisco.  The first one had the great big Sunn PA with the big British flag across the back of the stage.  Pete & Keith came out on the stage and doing some tumbles as I recall.  Pete was amazing the way he would leap across the stage in giant steps.  About 3 steps it seemed to me across that big stage.  A friend of mine had taken a little to much Acid.  Anyway he kept screaming "drum solo" over and over through the show and Pete walked up to the mike and said "shut up' of course with that British accent.  lol.

At the second show I saw when they came through town.  They had a new opening act that was just fantastic called Lynyrd Skynyrd.  This was the show where Keith Moon passed out on the drums.  I always remember the fact that Keith played perfectly as far as I noticed, then suddenly a little sporadic and just came to a stop.  Pete came over and said something to him and they started the song over.  Again playing unnoticeably that he was so drugged(??).  He passed out again half way through the song.   Never to return again in the show.  

Then Pete stepped up to the mike and asked if there were any drummer's in the house and some people at the front near the stage pointed to their friend.  He got on stage, but he was just a straight drummer.  It just pointed out how much Keith's drumming was just a huge part of the Who sound for sure.   Smile

David Ballenger

« Reply #41 on: February 23, 2006, 06:14:55 AM »

I listened to Quadrophenia over and over.  I related to much with it really.  I ended up with a great big bout of depression.  I was an impressionable Teen.  "Why should I care?  Why should I care?"  Some of the most powerful albums I think are the ones that are musically so strong that they just hook you.  I really saw myself as that kid on the Moped.

Elton John's "Goodbye Yellow Brick Road" was like that for me too.

« Reply #42 on: February 23, 2006, 01:59:22 PM »

Bryson wrote on Tue, 21 February 2006 23:51

Jim Curtis wrote on Tue, 21 February 2006 10:04

I think that was because he kicked them all over the place.

Maybe so, but coming from Tommy, the silly Smothers, I figured it was sarcasm.  It got a laugh from the audience.  It was obvious from the beginning that Keith was no ordinary drummer.  

Between Keith and Mitch Mitchell, they re-wrote the "rule" that drummers are supposed to just keep a beat and support the other musicians.  Both of them were soloists in their own rights, and as talented as their guitar-playing cohorts, IMO.

OOF!

« Reply #43 on: February 24, 2006, 09:02:32 AM »

JJ- thanks for the who demos!  amazing to hear the difference between the real me demo and the version on the album.  although the demo is still incredible- especially about halfway thru, when it really kicks in- the album version is just insane.  the perfect example of what a rock and roll band should sound like.  total attitude.
any other demos would be more than mildly appreciated......
david lawrence

Duplex

« Reply #44 on: February 24, 2006, 10:51:02 AM »

keiths drumming is always a highpoint in the Who's sound. Tommy is one of my favourite all time records. the who's next is up there as well.
Ever heard the bassline to 'Armenia , City in the sky' ? What was he on?
does this thing really work?
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.115 seconds with 17 queries.