R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: "Real Me" by The Who  (Read 13288 times)

greezyc

Re: "Real Me" by The Who
« Reply #15 on: February 15, 2006, 11:53:21 AM »

Surprised  I can't believe someone is complaining about this song?!!! This song rocks! It's so spontaneous... Like the first time you try and work out a song with your band at rehearsal and your just jamming, and it never sounds as good as that first time, ever again...

J.J. Blair

« Reply #16 on: February 15, 2006, 02:02:11 PM »

I'm wearing my Quadraphenia shirt today.  

Here's a treat for you fans:

Pete's Bell Boy Demo (zip file)

I love the way he sings what became Moonie's part.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

ricknroll

« Reply #17 on: February 15, 2006, 03:57:50 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Tue, 14 February 2006 18:45

This track is classic Who.  If you are complaining about the playing on this track, then you've never really heard the Who.  That was their style.

Different strokes indeed. I actually have heard the Who before, and this song stands out to me as having particularly wanky and self-indulgent rhythm parts.  Keith Moon's filling is totally nonsensical to me, like he didn't know the structure of the song when they recorded it.  Although he does play the same ridiculous 16th note fills in the choruses, so I guess he had some idea where he was, unless there was someone in the studio motioning to him whenever it was time for him to start that fill.  I guess this is just another example of what a boring place the world would be if we all agreed.

-Rick

ricknroll

« Reply #18 on: February 15, 2006, 04:54:22 PM »

One other thought...I think the song "Going Mobile" is a good example of a busy drum part that still makes sense in the context of the song.  Of course Keith Moon's drumming sounds bombastic compared to someone more restrained like Charlie Watts, but comparing the drumming on "Going Mobile" to "Real Me", I think the performance on the former works well with the song instead of detracting from it like in the latter.  And incidentally, disliking specific aspects of a recording doesn't equate to an en masse dismissal of the song or the band.

-Rick

hurricaneE

« Reply #19 on: February 16, 2006, 12:54:21 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Wed, 15 February 2006 19:02

I'm wearing my Quadraphenia shirt today.  

Here's a treat for you fans:

Pete's Bell Boy Demo (zip file)

I love the way he sings what became Moonie's part.

Thanks for that!  I came across a boot of the Quad demos 10 years ago, but was $63 short. >sigh<  -E
Eric Tischler

J.J. Blair

« Reply #20 on: February 16, 2006, 08:36:27 PM »

Hurricane, if you are in LA, I have a lot of them.  Also the Tommy demos.
studio info

They say the heart of Rock & Roll is still beating, which is amazing if you consider all the blow it's done over the years.

"The Internet enables pompous blowhards to interact with other pompous blowhards in a big circle jerk of pomposity." - Bill Maher

"The negative aspects of this business, not only will continue to prevail, but will continue to accelerate in madness. Conditions aren't going to get better, because the economics of rock and roll are getting closer and closer to the economics of Big Business America." - Bill Graham

drumsound

« Reply #21 on: February 17, 2006, 12:01:31 AM »

You gotta love a thread mostly about a great rock drummer (Keith Moon) where another great rock drummer (Patrick Wilson) pops in to add his oppiion.  
Very Happy

Moon kills on the Real me and Goin' Mobile, and the rest of the catalog for that matter.  Take away Moonie and the Who is just not quite right.  Ever heard Kenny Jones play Baba O'Riely?

hurricaneE

« Reply #22 on: February 17, 2006, 12:39:32 AM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Fri, 17 February 2006 01:36

Hurricane, if you are in LA, I have a lot of them.  Also the Tommy demos.

JJ, thanks VERY much for that offer!  Sadly (for my wife, who'd rather be in LA), I'm in DC.  -E
Eric Tischler

Tidewater

« Reply #23 on: February 17, 2006, 03:16:59 AM »

In between writing country tunes, that would stuff a fleet of Hummer limos, with million dollar bills, I have been beat boxing Real Me for what... 3-4 days.. MAKE IT STOP!

Baaaww newww newww! dat do do dat  BRAAW! BRAWWW! dat do do dat un dat dat!

I love the orchestral.. but it hurts my throat.

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

maxdimario

« Reply #24 on: February 17, 2006, 10:16:27 AM »

I like the way kenney jones played in the early small faces.

he'd wack the rims sometimes instead of the skins, but who cares.

when drummers become 'better' and more regular they lose it sometimes.

the only exception I can think of in the rock world would be Bonham, who could play like a swinging clock, or sound like a thunderstorm all in the same song.

rock musicians shouldn't get caught up with being 'technically perfect'. The right feel is what gives real perfection to a style.

J.J. Blair

« Reply #25 on: February 17, 2006, 12:23:28 PM »

drumsound wrote on Thu, 16 February 2006 21:01

You gotta love a thread mostly about a great rock drummer (Keith Moon) where another great rock drummer (Patrick Wilson) pops in to add his oppiion.  

I'll add that Pat is a great all around musician.  On the demos I did with them, it was before Scott joined the band and Pat played bass.  He killed it.
studio info

ricknroll

« Reply #26 on: February 17, 2006, 12:41:57 PM »

patrick_wilson wrote on Tue, 14 February 2006 20:42

That's interesting it strikes you as sloppy!

It's the sound of humans playing and I'm glad the click didn't work out for them.

I didn't say it was sloppy - it just sounds like they didn't know the song very well when it was recorded.  It's not that the technical performance is bad...I'm saying I don't think it's particularly musical or approprate in the context of the song.  Clearly my opinion is in the minority, at least in terms of people posting on this thread.  Incidentally, I really like your drumming on the opening of "American Gigolo" - a cool, kinda quirky beat.

-Rick

Tidewater

« Reply #27 on: February 17, 2006, 04:43:42 PM »

Songs are alot like the women I have known. As soon as I know them, I start working on a new one.

I don't anymore, but in a previous life, I was a songanizer.

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

drumsound

« Reply #28 on: February 18, 2006, 04:48:10 PM »

maxdimario wrote on Fri, 17 February 2006 09:16

I like the way kenney jones played in the early small faces.

he'd wack the rims sometimes instead of the skins, but who cares.

when drummers become 'better' and more regular they lose it sometimes.

the only exception I can think of in the rock world would be Bonham, who could play like a swinging clock, or sound like a thunderstorm all in the same song.

rock musicians shouldn't get caught up with being 'technically perfect'. The right feel is what gives real perfection to a style.

Kenny did sound good with the Small faces.  He even sounbded pretty good on Who tunes written and recorded after he joined the band.  I still really like "you Better, You Bet."  He sucked out loud on tunes the Moonie played, and the band sounded quite different after he joined the band.

drumsound

« Reply #29 on: February 18, 2006, 04:50:02 PM »

J.J. Blair wrote on Fri, 17 February 2006 11:23

drumsound wrote on Thu, 16 February 2006 21:01

I'll add that Pat is a great all around musician.  On the demos I did with them, it was before Scott joined the band and Pat played bass.  He killed it.

He played guitar and sang one of the Green album songs when I saw them recently. He sounded good.  Let's just say he's a much better guitarist and singer than Rivers is a drummer...
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.029 seconds with 19 queries.