R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Down

Author Topic: I.M.P 4 discusion.  (Read 33520 times)

j.hall

Re: I.M.P 4 discusion.
« Reply #210 on: July 10, 2006, 12:06:42 PM »

according to the government, drums are not a melody producing instrument, thus not able to claim song writing copyrights, as they define song writing as the distinct melody of a song.  or something like that.

therefore, and considering if i'm 100% right, no matter what capacity the drummer has in the writing process he is only able to claim copyright if the band has "signed him on" as such.

Juergen

« Reply #211 on: July 11, 2006, 12:43:48 AM »

Well that's Interesting.

What does this mean? I know the courts decide on what it ultimately means, but...would this mean people can't get sued over rythmic arrangments, as long as they're not sampled off of the original?

As in...i release my song on a recording, with these drum tracks and there's no paperwork for licensing?

I see a permission to using the tracks for a public release fitting somewhere really obvious into this (don't know where though...)

juergen
Signature: The fakultative signature, which will appear with the soil of your reports

j.hall

« Reply #212 on: July 11, 2006, 10:31:21 AM »

i'd say that technically, viking gained permission from the artist (who he and i both know) for this whole thing to happen.  if you were to release the track ona  commercial release, i'm not sure anything would happen as you had permission to use the tracks.  would you be a super big A-hole for doing such a thing........YES.

i think it comes down to how you choose to treat people.

in this particular case, i would not only credit the original source and people who worked on it, i would contact them and ask how they wanted to handle it.

aside from paying the drummer a small "session" fee, i'm not entirely sure i'd offer anything else.

i tend to agree with the government, honestly......it's not a decernable melody that you've "stolen".  it's just drums.....you could rebuild that entire song using samples and a drum machine......

Juergen

« Reply #213 on: July 11, 2006, 05:04:34 PM »

j.hall wrote on Tue, 11 July 2006 10:31

i'd say that technically, viking gained permission from the artist (who he and i both know) for this whole thing to happen.  if you were to release the track ona  commercial release, i'm not sure anything would happen as you had permission to use the tracks.  would you be a super big A-hole for doing such a thing........YES.

i think it comes down to how you choose to treat people.

It does indeed. I agree that a person doing something like this would be an a-hole. And I am sure there would be a difference between having gotten permission to do this creative experiment, and permission to put the song with these drums on a commercial release.

So I'd imagine the whole thing being different if i got myself another drummer who'd play this whole thing over again, with arrangements. This would prob fall into what was mentioned earlier in regards to drums not receiving songwriter credit.
Signature: The fakultative signature, which will appear with the soil of your reports
Pages: 1 ... 13 14 [15]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 21 queries.