R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: 48 Hz and 96 Hz  (Read 4590 times)

lagerfeldt

48 Hz and 96 Hz
« on: February 10, 2006, 08:57:00 PM »

Okay, I know this sounds like a noob idiotic statement, but I just can't help noticing how many of my favourite tracks have a clear bump at exactly 48 and 96 Hz  +/- 1 Hz.

Pingu

Re: 48 Hz and 96 Hz
« Reply #1 on: February 10, 2006, 09:00:02 PM »

Im thinking kick drum harmonics

what do ya rekon
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

lagerfeldt

« Reply #2 on: February 10, 2006, 09:58:20 PM »

Yes, certainly.

But I was wondering why exactly 48 and 96? They are harmonic/doubled but it seems funny that it's these exact frequencies in so many tracks, and in genres as different as pop, dance and rock music (I have a broad taste in music).

Maybe it's like that myth about 326 Hz being the universal muddy frequency, or something.  Razz

Pingu

« Reply #3 on: February 10, 2006, 10:24:19 PM »

Im sure someone with years more experience than i will put an end to the mystery.
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

compasspnt

« Reply #4 on: February 10, 2006, 11:02:51 PM »

Hmmm...

48 and 96...

...just add a  "k"  on the end, and...

...hmmm...something strange here...

Where is JohnnyB when we need him?

OTR-jkl

« Reply #5 on: February 10, 2006, 11:04:10 PM »

Really? Almost every track I see has the peak at either 65Hz or 86Hz...
J Lowes ยท OTR Mastering
Professional Audio Production for Life
www.ShoutLife.com/OTRMastering

Pingu

« Reply #6 on: February 10, 2006, 11:09:44 PM »

lagerfeldt wrote on Sat, 11 February 2006 09:57

Okay, I know this sounds like a noob idiotic statement, but I just can't help noticing how many of my favourite tracks have a clear bump at exactly 48 and 96 Hz  +/- 1 Hz.

How much of a bump are we talking?

Fenris Wulf

« Reply #7 on: February 10, 2006, 11:35:05 PM »

You might be seeing Apogee UV22 dithering, which uses a tone at exactly half the sample rate.
RESIST THE CYBERNETIC OVERLORDS
KDVS Studio A

Teddy G.

« Reply #8 on: February 10, 2006, 11:36:08 PM »

+/- 4hz???

Is your AC(Wall) power at 50hz? 48(or so) would be the "main" and 96(Or thereabouts) would be the "first harmonic" of such "transmitted AC signal", no matter voltage. Are you using a UPS on your computer and everything connected to it(Might help)? In the US it's 60hz, 120hz, 240hz, etc.(Each harmonic MUCH weaker than the main frequency.), that have to be dealt with. As my work is non-critical in this region I have the luxury of being able to just notch/shelf below 75hz(My Mackie mixer and audio software has buttons/settings for this common problem.), which takes care of most of it. If it IS critical it may take some knowledgeable electrical work..? Your friendly, neighborhood electrician may be able to help with this? Particularly one with experience supplying "clean power" to computers. At least one of our local electrical companies deals alot in "professional computer installations". Even your AC power provider may have suggestions - or even come out and do tests - at least to make sure all is as good as they are required to provide? Advice, at least, should be affordable to free. Correcting the "problem", to your satisfaction..? That may cost...

TG

Jerry Tubb

« Reply #9 on: February 11, 2006, 12:35:01 AM »

lagerfeldt wrote on Fri, 10 February 2006 19:57

Equivalent to a low and middle G on Fender Bass... 49Hz & 98Hz.
Terra Nova Mastering
Celebrating 20 years of Mastering!

Pingu

« Reply #10 on: February 11, 2006, 01:18:18 AM »

now we are getting somewhere

mikepecchio

« Reply #11 on: February 11, 2006, 01:50:15 AM »

are you using an analyzer to spot those frequencies?  could be the resolution of your analyzer.  FFT is most coarse at low freqs. try creating a tone sweep of constant amplitude (a bass drop) and see if it apears to peak at those frequencies.

Ronny

« Reply #12 on: February 11, 2006, 03:24:05 AM »

compasspnt wrote on Fri, 10 February 2006 23:02

Hmmm...

48 and 96...

...just add a  "k"  on the end, and...

...hmmm...something strange here...

Where is JohnnyB when we need him?

It's embedded in the software and allows 48k and 96k sample rates to have the same harmonic structure.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------