R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Ground Loop between Turntable and Big Knob.  (Read 2154 times)

Arturo

Ground Loop between Turntable and Big Knob.
« on: February 13, 2006, 07:55:15 PM »

I recently purchased a stylus cartridge for my technics SL-BD20, given to me by a friend, and connected it to the phono preamp on my mackie Big Knob only to find a very loud ground loop coming from the record player. I noticed that when I touch metal on the record player or the arm the noise changes. I disconnected the rca cables from the turntable to rule out the equipment and cabling downstream from it. On the Big Knob I noticed a lug that says "ground" on it and a strange looking output next to the phono outs on the record player that looks like a single pin. Do these mean that I'm missing a component here? Is there a cable that goes from the turntable to the phono preamp that I am not aware of? If so where can I get on of these, preferably from the web?

Teddy G.

Re: Ground Loop between Turntable and Big Knob.
« Reply #1 on: February 13, 2006, 09:55:44 PM »

If you can hook a turntable to it, instructions for the Big Knob, should tell you what to do. I hope you have the instructions for both pieces. Does the Big Knob include a turntable preamp, or just a place to plug one in?

For ground, try a piece of wire between the " TT ground lug"(If that's what Mackie says it is?) on the BK, and a ground "lug"(If it's there?) on the TT, itself.

TG

Arturo

Re: Ground Loop between Turntable and Big Knob.
« Reply #2 on: February 13, 2006, 10:12:19 PM »

Thanks Teddy. The Big Knob does have a phono preamp built-in and with a little searching online I found a ground wire that Technics sells specifically for this issue. I'm going to pick that piece up and hopefully I won't have to post another thread pertaining to this.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.056 seconds with 20 queries.