R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Peak Limiter Pre or Post Virtual Fader??  (Read 1122 times)

analog

Peak Limiter Pre or Post Virtual Fader??
« on: February 08, 2006, 07:28:31 PM »

Here's how I master right now...  Mix is in Nuendo on stereo track 1, I eq it and de-ess it, it goes out to the SSL comp, back in to the workstation to be recorded on stereo track 2.  Now in Nuendo there are six pre fader inserts and two post fader inserts.  I had always put the peak limters in the two slots POST fader.  Should it be the other way around?  Do I want to put the peak limiter PRE FADER?  Or does it not matter since the fader stays at 0?
Chris Garcia
Slate Studios

jazzius

Re: Peak Limiter Pre or Post Virtual Fader??
« Reply #1 on: February 09, 2006, 02:32:21 AM »

It doesn't matter (but of course you'd want to check that the master fader wasn't clipping the overs before they get to your limiter! - easily checked with a null test - or by looking at the GR meter on your Elephant!)...........Darius

Pingu

« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 05:23:59 AM »

Hi dude. I am curious as to why you are Dessing in the mastering stage.
If I defend myself I am attacked. But in defenselessness I will be strong, and I will learn what my defenses hide.

TotalSonic

« Reply #3 on: February 09, 2006, 03:11:37 PM »

Pingu wrote on Thu, 09 February 2006 10:23

Hi dude. I am curious as to why you are Dessing in the mastering stage.

Because maybe the track has some places where it is overly sibilant??  In mastering de-essing actually happens with some frequency (and I used to do it a ton when I was cutting vinyl masters) - although it is usually always better if it is dealt with in mixing.

Best regards,
Steve Berson

TotalSonic

« Reply #4 on: February 09, 2006, 03:14:36 PM »

I usually always have my Peak Limiter placed post fader in my DAW.  This way you can have the option to automate the fader so that you can pull back in some sections so that the limiter isn't hit as hard.  Often having the ability to vary the threshold on the limiter per section can help a lot if you're trying for a maxed out level with as little amount of artifacts as possible.

Best regards,
Steve Berson
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.035 seconds with 19 queries.