R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Music in school  (Read 1296 times)

Spiritwalkerpro

Music in school
« on: February 08, 2006, 01:24:05 PM »

I had a great experience yesterday.  I was asked to go to one of our K to grade 6 schools to play some drums and talk music with the kids.  It was wonderful.  Each class was around 25 min. and I was playing a jazz brush groove/solo as each class filed in.  I brought in my 48 WFL's with wide open tuning for them to hear.  After my initial solo we talked about the differences between the schools single headed Maxwin drums and the WFL's.  All of the classes liked the sound of the WFL's.  To wrap up I played the Maxwin's and all the kids played percussion instruments.  We played "Bo Diddley is a Gunslinger" for about ten minutes with the kids screaming out "Yah, Uh Huh"  It was great.  Bo would be proud.  At the end of one of the classes an aboriginal girl came up to me in a wide eyed state and asked, "Can you please teach me that Bo Diddley beat?"  Another disciple of the groove is born.  Days like yesterday make it all worthwhile.  I would reccommend it to all of you, go into the schools, it can be great.

Norm

John Ivan

Re: Music in school
« Reply #1 on: February 08, 2006, 01:44:23 PM »

That is a wonderful story!! Good for you. The kid's are great!! We should all make a point of doing this sort of thing..

Good work Bro..

Ivan.......................................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Dave Martin

Re: Music in school
« Reply #2 on: February 09, 2006, 10:20:36 AM »

Absolutely great!
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.188 seconds with 18 queries.