R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Tracking Vocs, why or why not to eq on the way in  (Read 5646 times)

bloodstone

Re: Tracking Vocs, why or why not to eq on the way in
« Reply #15 on: April 18, 2006, 01:22:40 AM »

I tend to track things flat, but if I'm going to do any eq on vox tracking, it's normally going to be to add a little sweetness to the top end.  I like the 8k or 12k option on the Langevein DVC for that.  It's very forgiving.  Even maxed out in some cases.  

Vertigo

« Reply #16 on: April 18, 2006, 10:32:07 AM »

Quote:

For vocals I use EQs but they come in the form of mics, mic placement, room treatment and as mentioned in the compression thread the almighty eq called the compressor.

Quote:

Man, Just listen to stuff. Plug the shit in. Listen to what is coming out of the speaker's. Start turning knobs until you dig it. Or, don't turn any knobs because you already dig it. There are no rules that say to use or not use an EQ. As Mr. Wittman has pointed out. If you think EQ will sound good use it.

My sentiments exactly! You just keep trying things until you hear the sound that you WANT to hear. Start with the mic - find what sounds closest to the sound you're looking for. If you're 95% of the way there but there's a little too much or too little of something and you think it will be a problem at mixdown, reach for the EQ.

-Lance

Fibes

« Reply #17 on: April 18, 2006, 10:48:37 AM »

I'm gonna go out on a limb and say that William does not get the torque wrench out immediately on vocals before trying a different mic or mic placement.

It's all relative and 95% of the way there could be 100% at mix time.

Since the vocals are usually the most important piece in the ensemble I try not to neuter them just because i can. Get them right without getting into eq phase issues at the start and you'll be better off. If you have limited mic choices and no placement is working try some eq but usually if i'm not happy the vocalist isn't happy.

BTW sometimes it's best to just throw a mic up there and get the performance. Yep, that damn performance.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

hargerst

« Reply #18 on: April 18, 2006, 11:48:35 AM »

The main reason I don't use eq while tracking vocals is that as soon as I do, it's 100% certain the singer is gonna wanna punch-in one line two weeks later, and by that time, I'll have forgotten what eq I used on the basic track.  That eliminates one big variable, and just leaves previous mic selection and placement.

Of course after two weeks have gone by, the singer has probably changed the emotion they bring to the song, so the punch-in never works, and I end up retracking the whole damn vocal anyway.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

wwittman

« Reply #19 on: April 21, 2006, 12:32:01 AM »

IF two weeks later the singer AGAIN sounds a little dull, I'll probably end up wiht the same +1 at 10k that i did two weeks before... and if not, it won't worry me.

I suppose I tend to do a QUICK little bit of fishing around for the right vocal mic (from a small group of contenders that repeatedly work well for me) and then unless it sounds "wrong" I'm not at all shy to put a bit of top in it or a bit of bottom or whatever.

That of course, doesn't mean i don't change mics, or more often ask the singer to move in or out, or go out and adjust the height to look right to me, and so on.

But if it needs some EQ I never worry about it, I just do it.

I don't have any preconception that EQ is "bad".

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.05 seconds with 18 queries.