R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: Is this music/recording thing just a hobby?  (Read 14913 times)

Dave Martin

Is this music/recording thing just a hobby?
« on: February 05, 2006, 10:26:57 AM »

Here's another question for y'all; a bunch of you have said (on the artist threads) that you don't perform live (and don't want to perform live), but a lot of you also mentioned that you're still creating new songs and such; here's my question: Why?

Who (especially those of you who don't do live gigs) are still searching for success as a singer, singer/songwriter or as a  songwriter? And why are you doing so? How are you going about it? Do you have a plan?

Or has the music simply become a really fun hobbyto you? Your neighbor has a bass boat or an RV and you have a studio? (Not that there's anything wrong with that).

hargerst

Re: Is this music/recording thing just a hobby?
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 10:29:34 AM »

I have a deck boat AND an RV.  I'm gonna be using each of them a lot more.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

Tidewater

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 10:46:44 AM »

Hobby.. hmm.. not that I am aware of.

It's more of an obsessive/compulsive disorder. I always have, and I guess I always will.

momentary pirate action:
I lied before. I play some Saturdays for at least a li'l while with some bluegrass guys. I am not a blugrass player.. we get in some country blues for me. It's just a jam. I never use a capo. Quite a challenge following them.
piracy fended off

I get at least some personal satisfaction from doing my own thing.

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

Tim Halligan

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 11:15:29 AM »

OK, I might have mentioned before that I'm a post production AE...

Occasionally I write jingles for clients...

I also write instrumental music for the "creative outlet"...

...and occasionally - when I've got enough material that doesn't suck - have a tilt at the production music companies...but I've limited it to the Australian and UK "big" PM labels. No success so far BTW.

I have scored for the odd doco, and more than a few corporates in the past as well...it's possibly what I do best : write for picture.

I'm too damn old - early 40's - and too damn ugly to become an artist - either as a solo act or within a band - to even be considered by the mooks in the "real" music industry.

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

Consul

« Reply #4 on: February 05, 2006, 11:36:06 AM »

I'm 29 years old, and my primary hobby is that I collect hobbies.

In amongst homebrewing beer and mead, home cheese making, and my own brand of Iron Cheffery, I also do electronics projects, computer work, and play on some musical instruments, though nothing virtuosic. I used to draw my own webcomic, but stopped some time ago, although I've been thinking of restarting. Somewhere in there, I'm writing a script I plan to make into a low-budget offbeat indie movie (my first degree track was video production, which was a bad idea in hindsight).

Am I planning on getting rich, or even just making a living with any of these? No, they're just hobbies. This summer, I'm returning to school to study alternative energy engineering (a mech. engineering degree). That's what I plan to make my living in, since I know I don't want to do I.T. work anymore.

Can these hobbies supplement my income? Sure, why not? I have a plan I'm going to implement with my home creation of music, and if it gets me enough to pay for my homebrewing and cheesemaking hobbies, and maybe the occasional convention trip, I'll be happy.

This is why I'm using the electronics hobby to build up the home studio hobby. Paying for studio time is simply not worth it to me, for a hobby. I've heard plenty of great-sounding albums and demos from people you've never heard of recorded at home with less-then-ideal gear, and if they can do it, then so can I. Only I'll have better gear because I can build mine.

In short, I have more time than money. I use that to my advantage.

I hang out here because of the free exchange of information. Not in very many places are professionals in the recording field willing to share their knowledge with others, even hobbyists like me. I figure as long as I listen to people who know more than I do, then my recordings and experiments will start to improve. Will they be pro-level? Probably not, but I'm more concerned about writing good songs anyway. My only wish is that someday, I can return the favor and be the one providing the information in a free exchange like this one.

And now you know... The rest of the story.
Darren Landrum

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry

Consul

« Reply #5 on: February 05, 2006, 11:53:34 AM »

I'd like to add something to my rant.

I'm a hobbyist who plans to make his progressive rock/pop stuff available to the world. If just one person comes along and says he/she likes it, it'll be worth it to me.

But that's not really what I want to add, only the lead-up to it. You see, I find new music by searching around on the web and downloading from band websites I stumble across, as well as places like Ampcast.com and others like it. The vast majority of what I find is not interesting to me, or even in any way likable, but occasionally I stumble across a real diamond, like Shapiro. These discoveries make it all worthwhile. Then I buy their CDs or otherwise show my support if no CDs are available.

Why do I go through all this trouble to filter my own unsigned bands? Because I have zero confidence in the ability of any label, large or small, to deliver to me the kind of music I like to listen to. It's worth it to me in order to find those diamonds that I know the executive mooks would pass up in exchange for some pretty young thing who can barely sing but looks great in Spandex. It is unlikely that any labels could ever win me back now, because I've had such success in sifting through the coal myself.

I support other hobbyists, and I can only hope that my stuff will be good enough for someone else to show their support for me.
Darren Landrum

"Never be afraid to try something new. Remember that a lone amateur built the Ark. A large group of professionals built the Titanic." - Dave Barry

floodstage

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 12:12:26 PM »

Music is not a hobby but it's not my sole source of income either.I have 2 jobs

I remodel and flip houses - about 60% of my income
I also record others - about 40% of my income

Trumpetman2

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 02:33:38 PM »

Dave Martin wrote on Sun, 05 February 2006 10:26

Here's another question for y'all; a bunch of you have said (on the artist threads) that you don't perform live (and don't want to perform live), but a lot of you also mentioned that you're still creating new songs and such; here's my question: Why?

Who (especially those of you who don't do live gigs) are still searching for success as a singer, singer/songwriter or as a  songwriter? And why are you doing so? How are you going about it? Do you have a plan?

Or has the music simply become a really fun hobbyto you? Your neighbor has a bass boat or an RV and you have a studio? (Not that there's anything wrong with that).

Well, since you seem to be really interested in this I'll give you my side of the story - I put myself through law school (1975) by being a professional musician.  In those days I had to put up w/a lot of crap and disrespect BECAUSE I was "only a musician," Well, I have been a lawyer since 1978 and I make A LOT of money now and have "standing" in my community...so, do you think I'm going to go back to being a performing musician?  I don't think so...

Now, I own my own studio, I play the music I want and how and when I want, and let me tell you, I can still blow a better horn than probably 80% of the "professional" cats that are out there - I know, I have been lead trumpet player for some pretty good bands in DC, the Thad Wilson Big Band for one.  Additionally, I will also tell you that the "vanity CDs" I make are quite liked and sought after by some fans....I have one guy who has collected all of my "productions,"  hell, even I dont have all...(I've erased a few I'd like to forget), so, is it a hobby?  Maybe.  Do people get to hear what I paly?  You bet! Very Happy  dowe  

Mark Gensman

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 05:35:16 PM »

Trumpetman2 wrote on Sun, 05 February 2006 19:33

Dave Martin wrote on Sun, 05 February 2006 10:26

Well, since you seem to be really interested in this I'll give you my side of the story - I put myself through law school (1975) by being a professional musician.  In those days I had to put up w/a lot of crap and disrespect BECAUSE I was "only a musician," Well, I have been a lawyer since 1978 and I make A LOT of money now and have "standing" in my community...so, do you think I'm going to go back to being a performing musician?  I don't think so...

Now, I own my own studio, I play the music I want and how and when I want, and let me tell you, I can still blow a better horn than probably 80% of the "professional" cats that are out there - I know, I have been lead trumpet player for some pretty good bands in DC, the Thad Wilson Big Band for one.  Additionally, I will also tell you that the "vanity CDs" I make are quite liked and sought after by some fans....I have one guy who has collected all of my "productions,"  hell, even I dont have all...(I've erased a few I'd like to forget), so, is it a hobby?  Maybe.  Do people get to hear what I paly?  You bet! Very Happy  dowe  

Do you think it is impossible to be a successful attorney and still play music?

I have been playing for 47 years nearly constantly. Through college, through the service, through a twenty five year career as a commercial real estate broker, through fifteen years owning my own mortgage company, member of my local chamber of commerce, etc. and I STILL play every weekend I can.

I don't seem to notice a lack of respect when I tell folks I am in a band and am also a professional businessman.

I never looked at being a performing musician as "going back".. It's what I am. I could close a million dollar deal and not get the same joy I feel from a standing ovation after a killer sax lead.. The job pays the bills, the music pays the soul.
Mark G.

Tidewater

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 06:17:32 PM »

He's a music attorney..

GET HIM!  Mad

Smile

M

Tim Halligan

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 07:23:05 PM »

DivideByZero wrote on Mon, 06 February 2006 07:17

He's a music attorney..

GET HIM!  Mad

Smile

M

LMFBO!

Very Happy Laughing Very Happy
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

Trumpetman2

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 08:48:22 AM »

I have been playing for 47 years nearly constantly. Through college, through the service, through a twenty five year career as a commercial real estate broker, through fifteen years owning my own mortgage company, member of my local chamber of commerce, etc. and I STILL play every weekend I can.

I don't seem to notice a lack of respect when I tell folks I am in a band and am also a professional businessman.

I never looked at being a performing musician as "going back".. It's what I am. I could close a million dollar deal and not get the same joy I feel from a standing ovation after a killer sax lead.. The job pays the bills, the music pays the soul.

In 1978 I was fresh out of law school and still a working musician.  I got my first job w/a pretty major law firm a short time after...one morning the senior partner walked into my office and told me that one of their big clients was at the Hilton last night and saw me, the young hot-shot lawyer who was handling his case, on a bandstand "blowin a horn" until 2 AM.  I was told to pick what I wanted to do - play the trumpet, or be a lawyer!  So, as you can see society does have certain perceptions and "expectations" of certain professions, and certain activities are not deemed "compatible" with these professions.  If you think that is far fetched, let me give you this example - you are having delicate eye surgery tommorrow morning; you have the choice of two doctors; one went to bed early; the other, is a musician and was playing untill 2-3 am...which would you have perform the surgery?

Being a musician is not a bad thing, but unfortunately, society IS generally biased...I see this every day in the cases that come to me.  And you think corporations aren't the same?  I remember in about 1975 having bought my first new car, the insurance company denied me coverage "because I was a musician."

In any event, I get great satisfaction when people enjoy my CDs and ask for more...I also get great satisfaction (and money) when I win some case, issue or whatever, so, I guess I have the best of both worlds....hey, don't hate me cause I'm successful..after all, isn't that what we all want? Very Happy

Tim Halligan

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 09:36:26 AM »

Trumpetman2 wrote on Mon, 06 February 2006 21:48

<snip>
....hey, don't hate me cause I'm successful..after all, isn't that what we all want? Very Happy

I don't think it's impossible, nor do I hate you.

And, as a musician and a lawyer, I imagine you're actually a pretty handy guy to know.

But let's face it...as a musician and a lawyer, you gotta expect the jokes...  

Very Happy Very Happy Very Happy

Cheers,
Tim

Trumpetman2

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 09:48:07 AM »

Smile Tim:  Of course...and I know ALL the lawyer jokes in the book.  I also was a bit tongue-in-cheek when I mentioned the "hating" part.....plus I AM having a ball in my studio, particularly for the freedom it gives me.  At times. if the guys don't show, I'll record trumpet and percussion myself and create something a bit off-beat....(pun intended!).

Take care and hope you also are getting what you want from music!!! Very Happy  

Tidewater

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 10:47:11 AM »

Laughing

Takes a dynamic kind of person to do many things well. No problem with that.

I enjoy doing as much as I can. I like learning as much as possible, and you can't just sit around.

M
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.07 seconds with 21 queries.