R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Seeking Suggestions for Mic Pre Compressor under $100  (Read 4085 times)

bigaudioblowhard

Seeking Suggestions for Mic Pre Compressor under $100
« on: February 02, 2006, 01:16:35 AM »

My neighbour is getting into home recording and bought one of those all in a box digital 8 tracks. He bought a $200'ish FET mic but complains he cant get a good vocal level going. I suggested he get an ouboard mic pre with a built in compressor. He cant afford more than like $100. Anybody know of or use something like this out there? Thanks in advance for the info.

bab

Nicolas

Re: Seeking Suggestions for Mic Pre Compressor under $100
« Reply #1 on: February 02, 2006, 07:34:50 AM »

Presonus
Behringer
M-Audio
ART MP
Studio Projects
SM "Pro" Audio

all offer some gear in that price range.

I don't know how they perform, however Smile

Nicolas

scottoliphant

« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 10:40:37 AM »

could even try a guitar comp pedal, for really cheap. although, a 50 dollar compression channel probably would be way worse than just uncompressed audio, if he's just getting into recording, he's about to learn really quick how expensive things are =)

scott volthause

« Reply #3 on: February 02, 2006, 12:17:31 PM »

When you say FET mic, are you talking condensor?

Does this "all in one box" even have phantom power? Does it have internal mic pres at all?

Mo info needed.

pg666

« Reply #4 on: February 02, 2006, 01:24:22 PM »

those recorders usually don't have phantom power. the input channels are usually just designed to take guitars and dynamic mics. i don't see where compression plays into this. a cheapo M-audio preamp would be just fine. besides, those recorders usually have built in compressor settings anyway.

i use my 16-bit 8 track box all the time for songwriting (and occasionally for 'real' records, haha).

[edited 'cuz i'm dyslexic]

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #5 on: February 02, 2006, 05:02:09 PM »

scott volthause wrote on Thu, 02 February 2006 10:17

When you say FET mic, are you talking condensor?

Does this "all in one box" even have phantom power? Does it have internal mic pres at all?

Mo info needed.

Yes, condensor. Yes, includes phantom power.

bab

Frob

« Reply #6 on: February 02, 2006, 08:24:49 PM »

tell him to save longer and get a groove tubes brick. its a tube mic pre amp, and it sounds verry good. it will also work as a DI and it has phantom power. it does not have a compressor however.

j.hall

« Reply #7 on: February 03, 2006, 04:11:22 PM »

bigaudioblowhard wrote on Thu, 02 February 2006 00:16

My neighbour is getting into home recording and bought one of those all in a box digital 8 tracks. He bought a $200'ish FET mic but complains he cant get a good vocal level going. I suggested he get an ouboard mic pre with a built in compressor. He cant afford more than like $100. Anybody know of or use something like this out there? Thanks in advance for the info.

bab

knowing who you are makes this post rather amusing.

NelsonL

« Reply #8 on: February 03, 2006, 04:24:15 PM »

So do you think the basic problem is really really bad mic technique? Possibly not projecting his/her voice at all? Or, really rough transitions to head voice, that sort of thing? Maybe just do separate passes?

It occurs to me that as a super secret squirrel ultra-pro, you might do more by stopping by and giving a few pointers than any $100 channel strip would do.

Not that I know who you are-- I'm still working on me.

compasspnt

« Reply #9 on: February 03, 2006, 11:59:59 PM »

Just get him this

http://www.sweetwater.com/store/detail/TubePac/

and send him on his way.

j.hall

« Reply #10 on: February 04, 2006, 01:26:25 AM »

why are we both posting on internet forums on a friday night

wait..........don't answer that!

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #11 on: February 06, 2006, 04:19:24 AM »

rattleyour wrote on Fri, 03 February 2006 14:24

So do you think the basic problem is really really bad mic technique? Possibly not projecting his/her voice at all? Or, really rough transitions to head voice, that sort of thing? Maybe just do separate passes?

It occurs to me that as a super secret squirrel ultra-pro, you might do more by stopping by and giving a few pointers than any $100 channel strip would do.

Oh I'm sure you're right but this person is a REAL technophobe. I'm not kidding when I say he had a hard time understanding why one might want to record something in stereo and wonders why it sounds all distorted when connecting his Casio electric piano stereo headphone output to the 8 track mic input with a MONO guitar cable. I tried to explain that one channel is getting through, kind of, while the other is being slammed to ground. I could not convince him to try to record the EP with a stereo cable into two channels. (the 8 track has two inputs with mic/line pre's, like an Mbox.) No... he's got to record the piano in MONO; So I loaned him a cable that at least sums the L&R more properly. It wont sound great but wont be all hum and distortion, if he can keep the level under control.  Well... he wouldn't try it. Why? Because my cable is too short, only 4 feet. The distance between his keyboard and recorder is like 8 feet, so even though the recorder sits on a table and the keyboard on one of those cheap ironing board type X stands that can be moved instantly, he wouldn't do it, its too much...for a fuckin wacko like him. Though he's actually a very nice person, helpful neighbour, honest, hardworking, good musician, songwriter, funny, etc. he's driving me nuts with this.

I asked him again two weeks after giving him the 2>1 cable and he still hadn't tried it. He claimed he'd found some level or some way to make the guitar cable work, so he wouldn't be needing my cable. Oh...and he wont let me listen to anything he's recorded, because its not "ready"! But I cant wait to hear that piano.

He's actually recorded something like 25 songs already, so I know he's been busy. I wonder what he'll do when the hard drive fills up? You have to go into mix mode on the recorder to get something out of the box, this should be good..maybe I'll letcha all know how it goes.

So sorry to go on about this, but I cant teach this guy anything...he can't handle it. Hence the mic pre/compressor suggestion. The ONLY suggestion of mine he seems able to take. As I said he only wants to spend around $100. I checked online and it seems that more like $200 would get him something decent, that he wouldn't have to upgrade for awhile. "NO! Thats too much money, this is for demo quality only." Whatever that means.

Thanks guys for your suggestions, and J, I'll check that box at Sweetwater. Oh BTW, that track you sent me was AWESOME, fucking HUGE bass. Did you send it to Brad B. for mastering? How'd it turn out?

Oh, and sorry to all for being anonymous, I just work for one of those big music corporations and...well... this way I can talk a little more freely about my job without some 'suit' calling me up tomorrow and bitching me out about what I said about them last night on the forum, which is why I hang out here in the first place.

sincerly, bab

NelsonL

« Reply #12 on: February 06, 2006, 11:58:27 AM »

bigaudioblowhard wrote on Mon, 06 February 2006 01:19

rattleyour wrote on Fri, 03 February 2006 14:24

Oh I'm sure you're right but this person is a REAL technophobe. I'm not kidding when I say he had a hard time understanding why one might want to record something in stereo and wonders why it sounds all distorted when connecting his Casio electric piano stereo headphone output to the 8 track mic input with a MONO guitar cable. I tried to explain that one channel is getting through, kind of, while the other is being slammed to ground. I could not convince him to try to record the EP with a stereo cable into two channels. (the 8 track has two inputs with mic/line pre's, like an Mbox.) No... he's got to record the piano in MONO; So I loaned him a cable that at least sums the L&R more properly. It wont sound great but wont be all hum and distortion, if he can keep the level under control.  Well... he wouldn't try it. Why? Because my cable is too short, only 4 feet. The distance between his keyboard and recorder is like 8 feet, so even though the recorder sits on a table and the keyboard on one of those cheap ironing board type X stands that can be moved instantly, he wouldn't do it, its too much...for a fuckin wacko like him. Though he's actually a very nice person, helpful neighbour, honest, hardworking, good musician, songwriter, funny, etc. he's driving me nuts with this.

I asked him again two weeks after giving him the 2>1 cable and he still hadn't tried it. He claimed he'd found some level or some way to make the guitar cable work, so he wouldn't be needing my cable. Oh...and he wont let me listen to anything he's recorded, because its not "ready"! But I cant wait to hear that piano.

He's actually recorded something like 25 songs already, so I know he's been busy. I wonder what he'll do when the hard drive fills up? You have to go into mix mode on the recorder to get something out of the box, this should be good..maybe I'll letcha all know how it goes.

So sorry to go on about this, but I cant teach this guy anything...he can't handle it. Hence the mic pre/compressor suggestion. The ONLY suggestion of mine he seems able to take. As I said he only wants to spend around $100. I checked online and it seems that more like $200 would get him something decent, that he wouldn't have to upgrade for awhile. "NO! Thats too much money, this is for demo quality only." Whatever that means.

Thanks guys for your suggestions, and J, I'll check that box at Sweetwater. Oh BTW, that track you sent me was AWESOME, fucking HUGE bass. Did you send it to Brad B. for mastering? How'd it turn out?

Oh, and sorry to all for being anonymous, I just work for one of those big music corporations and...well... this way I can talk a little more freely about my job without some 'suit' calling me up tomorrow and bitching me out about what I said about them last night on the forum, which is why I hang out here in the first place.

sincerly, bab

The way you describe this guy, I'm now convinced that he's an eccentric song writing genius.

Where do I pre-order?

Best,

Liam

PS-- I just wanted to work in the phrase secret squirrel... get down with your anonymous self.

PPS-- I just wanted to work in that last bit too.

bigaudioblowhard

« Reply #13 on: February 06, 2006, 08:17:56 PM »

rattleyour wrote on Mon, 06 February 2006 09:58

[
The way you describe this guy, I'm now convinced that he's an eccentric song writing genius.

Where do I pre-order?

Best,

Liam

PS-- I just wanted to work in the phrase secret squirrel... get down with your anonymous self.

Eccentric yes! Genius ? Well if you consider someone who writes songs in 2,5,#1 or 1,4,6 and the modulation follows the cycle of ninths! Yet somehow it kind of works.

I love the cartoon squirrels, Secret Squirrel, Rocky...are there any others?

bab

NelsonL

« Reply #14 on: February 06, 2006, 08:36:11 PM »

bigaudioblowhard wrote on Mon, 06 February 2006 17:17

rattleyour wrote on Mon, 06 February 2006 09:58

[

Where do I pre-order?

Best,

Liam

Eccentric yes! Genius ? Well if you consider someone who writes songs in 2,5,#1 or 1,4,6 and the modulation follows the cycle of ninths! Yet somehow it kind of works.

I love the cartoon squirrels, Secret Squirrel, Rocky...are there any others?

bab

Wait, you live next door to Lyle Workman?

No hold that, Lyle knows how to engineer.

I can't find anymore cartoon squirels, unless you count the chipmunks-- but let's not.
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.068 seconds with 19 queries.