R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Afternoon in Chicago coming up  (Read 3247 times)

ssltech

Afternoon in Chicago coming up
« on: February 04, 2006, 10:32:54 PM »

I have an afternoon in Chicago with NOTHING to do coming up on Monday. I'm flying into O'Hare in the morning and flying on to Britain in the evening, but in between, there's 7 or 8 hours of nuthin' but waiting.

Previously when this has happened, I've taken the train from the aiport downtown and eaten at Smith & Wollensky's or a couple of other nice places (Beats the hell out of airport food, and it's usually not even that much more expensive!).

-I was wondering if there's anything worth looking at in visiting distance, and would anyone mind a visit from a genuinely interested and moderately experienced engineer/tech-head...?

Cheers!

Keith
MDM (maxdimario) wrote on Fri, 16 November 2007 21:36

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

Sahib

Re: Afternoon in Chicago coming up
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 05:39:04 AM »

Hi Keith,

If nobody can accommodate you then I highly recommend you to go and see the German U-Boat at the Museum of Science and Industry. It is just one technological marvel. You will not be disappointed.  

Regards,

Cemal

electrical

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 01:47:09 PM »

The U-Boat is totally cool. You should be sure to pronounce it "oooh-boat," in a voice loud enough to irritate everyone around you. If it's still up, check out the slice-o-people exhibit there too. Lateral and vertical sections  (about 1 cm thick) of prepared human cadavers that you walk past down a hallway. Really neat, and good first-date stuff.

You are limited to the Blue line, which will get you pretty close to Electrical. Feel free to drop in. The phone number's in the book. You should see Mark Greenberg's collection of unusual and difficult-to-play instruments. You should have a hamburger at Boston Blackies. You should check out the A Finkl foundry. You should not get a Cubs hat. You should ask someone what the Frank Thomas deal means. You should go to the Museum of Contemporary Art. You should stop-in at the Second City and say hi to my girlfriend Heather for me, because I'll be busy working, but she likes to know I'm thinking about her.

Or just give me a call and we'll figure something out.l
best,

steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
www.electrical.com

ssltech

« Reply #3 on: February 05, 2006, 09:26:34 PM »

Right. I'm packing right now, and then I'm off to bed, but I'll ask at the airport about The U-Boat, or more directly how to get to the museam of Science and Industry.

Depending on how it goes after that, I might call, -you never know!

Cheers!

Keith

I have the feeling that I have more experience in my little finger than you do in your whole body about audio electronics..

electrical

« Reply #4 on: February 06, 2006, 02:42:21 AM »

Don't know how I forgot this. Go to Jim's for a polish. Just ask around. Get the peppers on the side.
best,

steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
www.electrical.com

Fenris Wulf

« Reply #5 on: February 06, 2006, 06:13:24 PM »

The U-Boat and the slice-o-people are fond memories of my childhood ... oddly enough I found the slice-o-people WAY more disturbing as an adult.
RESIST THE CYBERNETIC OVERLORDS
KDVS Studio A

Adam P

« Reply #6 on: February 06, 2006, 06:23:52 PM »

Fenris Wulf. wrote on Mon, 06 February 2006 18:13

oddly enough I found the slice-o-people WAY more disturbing as an adult.

I agree...seeing the people slices when I was in junior high school was really cool.  Seeing them as an adult a couple years ago sort of bugged me.  I think its because I got to thinking about how long those people have been in those little display things, all sliced up.

I will throw my wholehearted support behind the museum though. I also like looking at fish, so I go to the Shedd Aquarium when I visit Chicago.

ssltech

« Reply #7 on: February 07, 2006, 03:23:17 PM »

Cool, -Thanks all!

I got a little crossed up with changing to buses heading south out of the city, but I enjoyed the exhibits! -On the way back to the airport I called the studio, but the chap who answered the phone said both rooms were busy, and you were short-staffed on the day. -I figured that the last thing that you needed was a tourist getting in the way, so I skipped the Electrical part of the visit!

-I'm back in England now, so I'm catching up with some "bad weather, worse food, Mary F**king Poppins...-you know, -England!" (name the movie!)

Keith Andrews
-unt-Tech" to those unlucky enough to not know any better techs

Curve Dominant

« Reply #8 on: February 08, 2006, 10:12:07 PM »

ssltech wrote on Tue, 07 February 2006 20:23

"bad weather, worse food, Mary F**king Poppins...-you know, -England!" (name the movie!)[/i]

Snatch - one of my all-time favorite films.

ssltech

« Reply #9 on: February 09, 2006, 07:33:21 PM »

Dingdingding! -Gib dat manna seegar!

-By coincidenge I just spent the afternoon with Dave hughes, who wrote (with John murphy) the music for both 'Snatch' and 'Lock, stock and 2 smoking...'

-Small world...

Keef

Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.051 seconds with 21 queries.