R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Down

Author Topic: m-powered vs. LE  (Read 4847 times)

areo saf

m-powered vs. LE
« on: February 04, 2006, 03:09:19 PM »

Hello everybody. My name is Areo Saf, I currently own a Korg 16xd and I'm ready to jump to computer based recording, because of my frustrations with the 16xd. After about two years of saving a band fund, we plan on selling our korg and getting a 01v96 v2 for live uses but also as a controller for PT, or other recording platforms. I was going to get the ada8000 for extra channels with the yamaha. Anyway, I must decide between with platform to use. My band-mate is taking  a protools class at community college so that would be the preferred platform. I'm just trying to decide whether to go with M-powered or LE. I know that m-powered works with m-audio hardware and LE with digidesign, but I was wondering if there are any other significant differences that I should consider. Some questions in particular are the plug-in's cross compatible? At this point for the interface i'm considering m-audio's firewire 1814 and digi's 002 rack ( which is obviously more expensive). After we sell the Korg we have inbetween $4000-$5000 to spend. We need a mixer for live stuff(01v96) but we also need to record our album, were a five piece prog rock electronic jam band. (if that makes sense) I'm open for any suggestions? I'm not shure (ha ha) if this is the right place to post this, but i'm just trying to find "whatever works" best for me. By the way, thank you all for making this the best forum around. The lounge and REP has provided me with some of the most valuable I could have attained anywhere. So thank you.
Areo

compasspnt

Re: m-powered vs. LE
« Reply #1 on: February 04, 2006, 03:49:17 PM »

Hello Areo, and welcome.  Thanks for the nice Forum comments.

First question back is which computer platform do you have and use, or do you plan to get and use?

And the first little bit of advice from me would be, whichever soft/harware version you go with, to upgrade the A>D and, if possible monetarily, the D>A.

More comments and suggestions will follow, I'm sure.

Fibes

« Reply #2 on: February 04, 2006, 03:56:54 PM »

I have my preferences which don't fall into the PT paradigm.

That said an LE system works for some folks but I prefer the Midi power of other platforms.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

compasspnt

« Reply #3 on: February 04, 2006, 04:03:18 PM »

Understood.  Personally, I couldn't care LESS about midi capability of a recording program.

Area, is the midi important to your situation?

areo saf

« Reply #4 on: February 04, 2006, 04:55:30 PM »

Thank you for your responses. Other than the midi floorboard that I have for my cybertwin I'm not too familiar with midi nor do I plan to use it much now. However, I was under the impression that PT 7 has improved midi functionality anyway, however my experience is limited. The computer platform I currently have is a relatively new G4 powerbook, my roommate(in the pt class) is workin on building a PC with his student loan money, ( he made a post in the hardware forum looking for advice on a motherboard and such, advice here would also be great). We plan on using the PC for studio purposes and the laptop for live.
Compasspnt, when you said:
"And the first little bit of advice from me would be, whichever soft/harware version you go with, to upgrade the A>D and, if possible monetarily, the D>A."

I'm assuming your talking about the ada8000, and not the yamaha, 1814, or 002 correct? The reason I liked the ada8000 was for the 8in and 8outs, with adat lightpipe for the 01v96, we want to be able to get personal mixes using IEM's when we practice and for live uses. If you have suggestions for an upgrade a>d and/or d>a, I'm all ears. We have about $5000- about $6700 with the student loan for the computer- to spend here. I have the audix fusion drum mic kit, a d-6, two mxl-604 for overheads ( only $160 for the pair and they sound decent), a sm-58, two 57's( guitar amps), and an sm-81 for acoustic stuff, an a decent vocal condenser. Other than that I got $#!+, suggestions for studio monitors would be nice. I hope I'm not asking too much here, but I'd rather ask the experts who I trust then get lied to by some sales person. (this is the only place I know to go to for objective expert adivce) So I guess the question is what would you do if you where in my shoes?  If you got any other questions please ask, and thank you, thank you, thank you again.

blueboy

« Reply #5 on: February 04, 2006, 04:57:56 PM »

Check out this comparison chart for a detailed feature comparison between LE and M-Powered versons. There are also other DAWs compared, but don't worry about their overall scoring, just use the chart to see if the features that you need are supported by the app you are interested in. (*Make sure you click on the category headings for details.)

http://recforums.prosoundweb.com/index.php/m/115769/11771/?S Q=8ce61fbb9e18eb12f332c1ede0a89d6a

Also, this thread from the Marsh forum has some good advice from Digiengineer on entry level PT hardware options.

http://marsh.prosoundweb.com/index.php/t/10318/?SQ=0927b5066 3ca293ffad7ead2e94d61ca

Hope this helps.

JL

"Only he who attempts the absurd can achieve the impossible." ~ Manuel Onamuno

henchman

« Reply #6 on: February 05, 2006, 02:00:24 PM »

I use PT's extensively at work and recently bought an M-Powered set-up usign a transit so I could cut SFX etc. at home.

However, PT's is NOT my DAW of choice for music. Especially LE or M-Powered. The limitations imposed on the user by Digi are a real pain int he ass, and I could NEVER doany serious  music with it, without wanting to rip my hair out.
The 2 main issues are no Plug-in delay compensation and the ridiculous track count limitation.

Do yourself a favour, and check out Cubase SX. I use Nuendo, and it is miles beyond PT's. Cubase uses the same engine, but deosn't have soem of the Audio post stuff encorporated.
I can find no logical reason to use a program  that ties your hands the way PT's does, when there are options that actually work better, available.

compasspnt

« Reply #7 on: February 05, 2006, 02:09:35 PM »

Here we go again.  I guess 90% plus of the industry is doing it wrong.

Many more Cubase posts here and I will move this to the "No Steenkin' Budget" section.

henchman

« Reply #8 on: February 05, 2006, 02:46:39 PM »

compasspnt wrote on Sun, 05 February 2006 11:09

Here we go again.  I guess 90% plus of the industry is doing it wrong.

Many more Cubase posts here and I will move this to the "No Steenkin' Budget" section.

Please point out what points are NOT factual in my post.

We ARE talking PT's LE are we not?

No PDC and limited track count. Both majour issues.

Tell me how many things you are workign on where 32 voices is enough?  And everytime you change a plug-in, you have to change the delay compensation.
Why woudl you even want these issues when tryign to be creative?

rnicklaus

« Reply #9 on: February 05, 2006, 03:48:45 PM »

Digi has just announced a musician's tool box that will increase LE's track count to 48 mono OR stereo voices (or any combination).

R.N.

henchman

« Reply #10 on: February 05, 2006, 03:57:23 PM »

rnicklaus wrote on Sun, 05 February 2006 12:48

Digi has just announced a musician's tool box that will increase LE's track count to 48 mono OR stereo voices (or any combination).

Yes. An additonal 16 tracks all for the low, low price of $495,- on top of what you already paid for the hardware and software.
And still no PDC.

What an insult.

henchman

« Reply #11 on: February 05, 2006, 04:38:09 PM »

I see that criticism of PT's is not allowed in the "whatever works" forum.

rnicklaus

« Reply #12 on: February 05, 2006, 04:39:37 PM »

henchman wrote on Sun, 05 February 2006 12:57

rnicklaus wrote on Sun, 05 February 2006 12:48

Yes. An additonal 16 tracks all for the low, low price of $495,- on top of what you already paid for the hardware and software.
And still no PDC.

What an insult.

It's much more than 16 additional tracks.  This will allow 48 stereo or mono tracks - which is 96 tracks if they were all stereo.

But still LE is not HD - no doubt.

R.N.

NoWo

« Reply #13 on: February 05, 2006, 04:40:20 PM »

Hi,

Digidesign has been money hungry from day one.

They could deliver another 32 tracks WITH PDC at ease for further 190,-. IF the plugs of HD or TDM are SO much better no one could feel fooled.
But they don

wwittman

« Reply #14 on: February 05, 2006, 05:26:14 PM »

henchman wrote on Sun, 05 February 2006 14:46

Please point out what points are NOT factual in my post.

We ARE talking PT's LE are we not?

No PDC and limited track count. Both majour issues.

Tell me how many things you are workign on where 32 voices is enough?  And everytime you change a plug-in, you have to change the delay compensation.
Why woudl you even want these issues when tryign to be creative?

I almost NEVER use more than 32 voices.

I also don't fiddle with delay compensation.

I also don't have any interest in working in an environment that 90% of the recording world does not use.

PLUS, and most important, the original question wasn't about alternatives to ProTools.

William Wittman
Producer/Engineer
(Cyndi Lauper, Joan Osborne, The Fixx, The Outfield, Hooters...)
Pages: [1] 2  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.102 seconds with 17 queries.