R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: another newby quetions (monitors)  (Read 1882 times)

core

another newby quetions (monitors)
« on: February 07, 2006, 01:21:56 PM »

hey, as a lot of you have probably read,i'm just starting out with recording and asking a lot of questions.i'mtrying to get some stuff together with a realy low budget.so...
is it possible to use normal standard hi fi speakers for monitors?(i know it may be a dumb question or they may not be ideal but I don't have much choice,unless anyone knows some real cheap monitors!)
::kiteline::

compasspnt

Re: another newby quetions (monitors)
« Reply #1 on: February 07, 2006, 01:42:32 PM »

Hi again Christian.

All good questions.

For your benefit, I am going to move this particular topic to the "Budget, Budget..." Forum.

I think you will probably get more answers there!

Good luck in your endeavours!

core

« Reply #2 on: February 07, 2006, 01:44:49 PM »

ok thankyou
::kiteline::

Barry Hufker

« Reply #3 on: February 07, 2006, 01:44:59 PM »

Others may not agree with me but I have used hi-fi monitors for years -- even now.  Good speakers are good speakers.  Some will say you don't need or maybe even want good speakers to know how your mix will translate.  I have no argument with that.

Good speakers or bad speakers, you just need speakers that help you mix so your recordings will play well on a variety of other systems.

Barry

Fibes

« Reply #4 on: February 07, 2006, 02:24:54 PM »

It's not uncommon.

Accurate monitoring is a personal decision.

It's not what they sound like that is most important it is how they make you work. "What they make you do."

I mixed on NS-10s for years with various Hi-Fi style speakers as a check system. I learned them and knew where to go just by looking at them (sometimes).

Two years ago i switched to Adam S3as and they work for me in my room with the way I like to hear. So at the risk of telling you what your favorite color is try some stuff out for YOU.

Just keep in mind that "reproduction" style speakers can hype certain things that will fool you initially. Learn 'em and learn 'em good. The short path in this case is a very long path of trial and experience (error).

Whadda ya' lookin at?
Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

cdr-1

« Reply #5 on: February 08, 2006, 04:35:29 PM »

I mixed on a very nice set of home theatear speakers for quite some time.

Retail, they were the sort of thing that cost about $1,000 a piece, but my roomate bought them out of the back of a van in a bank parking lot for $200.

They worked pretty well at first, but they didn't hold up well in a small commercial studio enviroment and eventually Mike Rep blew them up.

So,in my experience, hi fi speakers are pretty workable but aren't quite durable enough.

anyway, fibes is right, you really have to spend some time with hi fi speakers to figure out how to mix on them. Your mixes will be very "poop-mud" until you learn them.

hope this helps,
Adam
CDR
"Henceforth I shall suck the teat of the musical welfare state. I have become a DJ."
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.089 seconds with 20 queries.