R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: NAME the best rock songs recorded in/with/to DIGITAL  (Read 2454 times)

ALLEN WRENCH

NAME the best rock songs recorded in/with/to DIGITAL
« on: February 03, 2006, 11:40:18 PM »

OK, I’m starting a NEW thread that is a bit more clear.  Name the best song you are aware of, in the category of rock, that’s been recorded in the digital format.  

The only thing I'd like to exclude is anything tracked to tape and then dumped down to digital.  
In-the-box, on a desk, plug ins or outboard gear, any digital format is fine as long as converters were used.  And yes, I mean during tracking.  Mastering to digital doesn’t count… if the tracking was done on tape.

I’m MOSTLY interested in the category of ROCK, but other geners are fine.  This is for my own personal research purposes.  I’m interested in hearing what’s POSSIBLE with the digital medium.  Even if your suggestion isn’t absolutely the best… lets get some titles and then thin it out.

If possible, please name the song TITLE, ARTIST and RECORD.  If you also know the producer and/or engineer, great!  Please leave out the debate of WHY or HOW!  Lets just find out what’s been done!

Thanks for everyone’s help!

Here’s a list from the other thread (The BEST rock recorded on ANY workstation )…
the thread which I am considered dumb and evil… both of which are true!

Now I’m just naming what ever’s coming to mind to get started

From me…
Green Day  / record:  American Idiot
Gay Bar – Electric Six  / record:  Fire
Danger! High Voltage – Electric Six  / record:  Fire
Dance Commander – Electric Six  / record:  Fire
Foo Fighters – pic a record
Queens of the Stone Age / record:  Lullabies to Paralyze
Lamb of God  / record:  Ashes of the Wake
Smooth Criminal – Alien Ant Farm (OK… they’re friends of mine)
The ENTIRE transplants album

All I Really Want - Alanis Morissette – Jagged Little Pill
You Oughta Know - Alanis Morissette – Jagged Little Pill
Hand In My Pocket - Alanis Morissette – Jagged Little Pill

Some of the COAL CHAMBER works… I can’t remember the songs or records, just heard some real clean stuff.
Beautiful People – Marylin Manson

FUCK, I’ve got to think about this myself!

- from Pingu:

Symphony X

- from Greg Youngman:

Little Feat - "Let It Roll"
Aerosmith

- from Ronny:
"Stars And Stripes Forever", recorded and mixed in Pro Tools at 16 bit, by John Sousa in 1906.

- from the mysterious Invisible Member:
Slipknot's - "Subliminal Verses 3"
Racer-X's last three albums  /  Otari console tracked into RADAR
Steve Vai's "Alive in a Ultra World"  /   tracked to ProTools on a G3 Mac, edited/mixed/overdubbed on ProTools, API legacy console

- from Etch-A-Sketch (Derek Jones)
anything done by Richard Mouser

and from Derek’s Digidesign/Billboard list we might have to consider:

Faint by Linkin Park
Like A Stone by Audioslave
When I'm Gone by 3 Doors Down
Kryptonite 3 Doors Down

You may not be interested in Dr. Wrench,  but Dr. Wrench is interested in you.

Extreme Mixing

Re: NAME the best rock songs recorded in/with/to DIGITAL
« Reply #1 on: February 05, 2006, 04:04:30 AM »

I think you're confusing liking the music with liking the recording.  I always try to listen to the music, and not the recording.  That's what is most important.  What it's recorded, or mixed to is way down the list for me.  To be honest, I never even check.

Steve

maxdimario

« Reply #2 on: February 05, 2006, 10:28:43 AM »

The way to understand the difference between analog and digital recordings is NOT by listening to it and judging there and then... but the MEMORY of having listened to it.

I can remember 100% analog recordings (especially from the discrete/tube era) for a LOT longer and with a higher clarity regarding the INTENTION of the music, than I can with digital.

for instance I can remember the effect of 8-tracks in the early 80's more than I can remember the effect of cassetes of the same era.

Digital recordings seem to dissapear in my memory very quickly compared to analog ones, this includes the CD re-issues compared to the vinyl.

Ronny

« Reply #3 on: February 06, 2006, 08:36:24 AM »

maxdimario wrote on Sun, 05 February 2006 10:28

The way to understand the difference between analog and digital recordings is NOT by listening to it and judging there and then... but the MEMORY of having listened to it.

I can remember 100% analog recordings (especially from the discrete/tube era) for a LOT longer and with a higher clarity regarding the INTENTION of the music, than I can with digital.

for instance I can remember the effect of 8-tracks in the early 80's more than I can remember the effect of cassetes of the same era.

Digital recordings seem to dissapear in my memory very quickly compared to analog ones, this includes the CD re-issues compared to the vinyl.

Don't want to hijack Allens new thread but I have to speak up Max. Besides the design of the knee joint, the memory of humans is the worst part about them. It is the least credible and the main thing that I remember about music on 8 track cassettes is that I didn't get to listen long before the tape started squeeking or broke from getting too loose on the spindles.  Very Happy

Also, music has a way of associating the time with the song. It can make you remember good or bad times, it's not an analog or digital thing. Typically people remember the songs from their prime, in their late teens and early 20's, than they do when they are younger or older. The impression years. That's why there is still a market for oldies.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------