R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Sherman Filterbank and stuff  (Read 9172 times)

Fig

Re: Sherman Filterbank and stuff
« Reply #15 on: May 19, 2005, 08:36:30 AM »

Mu-Mao wrote on Wed, 18 May 2005 19:54

The Waldorf is my second favourite...it was called the 4 pole ( ie 24db/ Octave) but is now discontinued.

Ah, thank you for filling in my memory gap.  Do you have one of these devices?  And you prefer it over a Sherman?  I know what you mean about the Mutator - its sick!

Quote:

It's a pity Studio Electronics don't make one.

Indeed.

I just saw the Peavey (Spectrum Filter, I think) for $165, if anyone's interested.  Not *Bay, reputable seller.

Just a note, I find it curious that this thread appears in GM's forum instead of say, the "Keyboard" forum in the MARSH (where I think it WAS discussed like a year ago!)

No matter.  Repetition is a form of change.

Happy mixing,

Fig

The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

Tomas Danko

« Reply #16 on: May 19, 2005, 04:10:27 PM »

The Sherman Filterbank is an awesome piece, and truly one of a kind. Any older analogue synthesizer with audio input can give you some interesting options. For stereo, link two Sherman's (Shermen?) or get some vintage modular with stereo competence.

Like, for instance, the EMS VCS3 "The Putney". It's stereo, and I just can't get enough of it. (Been sitting here listening to a bass note repeating and evolving for the last twenty minutes or so, I'm nuts)

Actually, I'm seriously considering getting the Sherman Filterbank to go with my Putney.

Cheers,

Tomas Danko
http://www.danko.se/site-design/dankologo4s.gif
"T(Z)= (n1+n2*Z^-1+n2*Z^-2)/(1+d1*z^-1+d2*z^-2)" - Mr. Dan Lavry
"Shaw baa laa raaw, sidle' yaa doot in dee splaa" . Mr Shooby Taylor

Data Entry

« Reply #17 on: May 20, 2005, 03:46:25 AM »

Mu-Mao wrote on Wed, 18 May 2005 17:54

It's a pity Studio Electronics don't make one.

Just wanted to say that on the S.E. ATC-1, there is a external instrument input mode. You can plug a mono signal in and use the built in filters, as long as you have a gate to open it...ie midi notes.
Russell

Eccentric

« Reply #18 on: May 20, 2005, 06:44:09 PM »

bushwick wrote on Tue, 17 May 2005 22:13

what are some hi end analog filters?

http://earsnyc.com/FU2.htm
hardcore analog...

Bobro

« Reply #19 on: May 24, 2005, 12:33:48 PM »

Check out the Vermona DAF, dual analog filter, built like a tank and dirt cheap at least in Europe (I paid about 250 new a few years ago). It's a 19" unit but like a modular unit, with CV-in and heavy smooth knobs.

Very noble sounding but the resonance can really squeal if that's your trip. I've also put live acoustic stuff through it, quite nice.

But if you want to really get down with filters the new handmade analog modulars are where it's at, as the guys have been saying. Metasonix, MOTM, Wiard, etc etc.

-Bobro

20to20

« Reply #20 on: May 28, 2005, 04:56:53 PM »

Check out
the tiny, mighty Evolver:

http://davesmithinstruments.com/

Desktop stereo signal processor

Mono/Lead/Bass 4-oscillator synth

16-step x 4-osc sequencer

$500.00
Bob Phillips
20to20soundesign

bushwick

« Reply #21 on: May 31, 2005, 10:56:19 AM »

Awesome help, thanks to all.

Best,
joshua
Joshua Kessler
bushwick  studio
brooklyn, ny
www.bushwickstudio.com

chas.exit

« Reply #22 on: January 15, 2006, 10:43:41 AM »

"The Sherman is in a league of its own for certain"

it seems like you've used alot of these filters before. I wanted to ask you: I've had the Akai MFC for a coulple years and I like it quite a bit, it's seems to be a pretty competent filter for what I do. However, it doesn't Envelope Follow. It has an Envelope, but it only responds to MIDI and a little trigger button on the front. As far as Envelope followers go, I really like the Mutron III (of course), and I'm pretty impressed with the Moogerfooger 101 also and I was wondering if the Sherman Filterbank's envelope follower would be comparable (for bass, electric piano) to those other two (Moog and Mutron)??? I basically wish the MFC had Env. following and Control Voltage. Would the Sherman Filterbank fit this description. I read a lot of wonderful reviews about it, but everyone always talks about how noisey and distorted it is. Which is fine for somethings, but I don't think distortion makes for a very good bass processor. Also the samples I've heard of sherman (on there site: http://www.sherman.be/sounds.htm) are very shrill as if they're going through a fuzz box. I want this filterbank to work for m,e because I'm very imressed with the control/input options it presents. But do you think it will offer the sonic palate i'm after? If you can help me out on this it would be great...

AndreasN

« Reply #23 on: January 15, 2006, 11:53:34 AM »

DIY! The SSM2044 chips sounds fabelous! As used in the Korg Polysix and a couple of other synths. Very easy to hook up as a stand alone filter.

Regarding the Peavey filter, it's lame, IMO. Not worth looking into.

Have two of the TB303 rack clones that goes by several names; FAT FB383 in UK, MAM MB33 in Germany and something like Next Space Bass in the US version. Dirt cheap! They have an external filter input and can sound extremely nice, if squelchy filtering is what you're after. Needs midi sequencing though.

SingSing

« Reply #24 on: January 17, 2006, 05:13:25 AM »

The Sherman Filterbank isn't your average FX box. It's as if that mean thingie has a life on its own, and that the labels on the pots and switches merely are estimations on what they actually mean...if you know what I mean.  Twisted Evil

In my experience you never really learn how to master it. Twist one knob a couple of mm one way and another a couple of mm another way and the difference in sound is night and day. This is the main difference between this beast and the other filters I have tried (various synths + Mutator...so my experience is limited). It's simply really fun to mess with. You never know what you'll end up with, and the sound you put could be obliterated (is that the correct word?)

It's a piece you wouldn't primarily use to enhance a regular instrument...though it can also be 'less' aggressive if you go easy with it. It's a tweak and twist machine. It's actually a bit like a wild animal, you have to work with it and earn its trust, and when you've done that you can make it spin, roll around, jump through rings of fire...and of course the standard ball juggling.

I've got a zoo...

index.php/fa/2222/0/

Fig

« Reply #25 on: January 25, 2006, 05:58:40 PM »

NICE!!!
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

Dave Peck

« Reply #26 on: February 09, 2006, 08:05:11 PM »

Just wanted to mention that Sherman is now offering a DUAL rackmount filterbank, essentially two FB II's in one chassis with a lot of patchpoints across the bottom. I got a good look at one at NAMM a couple of weeks ago. (But why did the use a wall wart power supply, and why oh why is the jack for it on the FRONT??)

Dave
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.038 seconds with 21 queries.