R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New monitors, budget limited to $6.500 + VAT  (Read 23854 times)

Riccardo

Re: New monitors, budget limited to $6.500 + VAT
« Reply #15 on: February 03, 2006, 04:21:08 AM »

jfrigo wrote on Fri, 03 February 2006 02:56

I 'd look at the PMCs as suggested, and the Quested 3208, but the Dynaudio AIR would concern me. I don't want a speaker that applies digital signal processing and uses internal AD/DA conversion in a mastering studio. I bet these are great in a 5.1 post room, but they're off my list for mastering. Unfortunately, the budget doesn't quite allow you to get into 3-way ATCs like the SC50. That would be sweet.

I totally agree with Jay. I am biased as I have been using use PMC's for quite a while but if I had to pick a different brand I would go with ATC's.

The SCM50a PRO is unfortunately very expensive unless you can find a used pair.
The SCM 20a PRO would be within budget but wouldn't go as low (6" bass driver)as the 50's.

Have you considered K&H 300 as an alternative?

Happy hunting!

Nicolas

« Reply #16 on: February 03, 2006, 05:16:36 AM »

If you like the AIR 25s, you might want to have a listen to some of the ADAM Audio monitors as well.
www.adam-audio.com/professional/

Nicolas

lagerfeldt

« Reply #17 on: February 03, 2006, 06:43:44 AM »

Thanks for the many suggestions.

The Air 25 does not necessarily use any D/A or digital processing, I would use them strictly analog. However, I'm not sure that's the monitor I want. Bob, I too found them pretty "linear" though.

I currently have ADAM, which I rather like, especially for mixing.

I really love the Klein+Hummel O300D but they are somewhat small. I was thinking of the O500 but I have no idea of the price or the sound (looks cool in white though, heh).

PMC, the iB1s are not active but what about the MB2-A?

The Quested VS3208 looks interesting maybe with the sub, I hope they have a Danish distributor.

I'll also check ou the PSI Audio 25-3.

ammitsboel

« Reply #18 on: February 03, 2006, 06:55:33 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Fri, 03 February 2006 02:10

ammitsboel wrote on Thu, 02 February 2006 18:13

Choosing a stand speaker will probably not give you a dependable bass response.

Don't your Audio Note speakers need stands?

Yes they do, small stands.
They are the best bass reflex speakers I've heard so far.
After reading what Holger wrote I got an image in my head of a typical "small" stand speaker, and that's why I was concerned about the bass response. Sorry, my bad.

Brad, do you think that some engineers like mastering on bass reflex speakers? or
do you think it's an issue of getting used to it?
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

ammitsboel

« Reply #19 on: February 03, 2006, 07:01:49 AM »

lagerfeldt wrote on Fri, 03 February 2006 02:20

I listened to the Dynaudio Air 25's today, I rather liked them but couldn't make up my mind, I need to have them on trial. They're exactly $6.500 BTW.

Amazing low end response no need for sub I can tell you. Unfortunately they are rather wide and exceed my preferred horizontal dimensions.  http://www.dynaudioacoustics.com/Default.asp?Id=2846&Ajr Nws=602&AjrNwsPg=1

Why not give Barefoot speakers a try while you are at it? who knows, might be it for you.
http://barefootsound.com/

zetterstroem

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2006, 07:54:58 AM »

holger.... the speakers i was talking about were of course my speakers  Very Happy

come have some coffee and give them a listen..... you'll be suprised..... even henrik (almost) likes them...  Shocked

but stay away from something (dyn) that applies more dsp than an average mastering session  Very Happy

good speakers placed properly don't even need a tone control imo.
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

bblackwood

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2006, 08:04:22 AM »

ammitsboel wrote on Fri, 03 February 2006 05:55

Brad, do you think that some engineers like mastering on bass reflex speakers? or
do you think it's an issue of getting used to it?

In all honesty, I think one could master on just about anything if given enough time to get used to it. Great monitoring certainly makes my job easier, but I don't think having a particular type of speaker has much to do with it.

And of course some like bass reflex speakers - I'm one of them! IME, when listening to a well designed speaker you won't know what the design is...
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

ammitsboel

« Reply #22 on: February 03, 2006, 08:27:03 AM »

bblackwood wrote on Fri, 03 February 2006 14:04

And of course some like bass reflex speakers - I'm one of them! IME, when listening to a well designed speaker you won't know what the design is...

I wish I could say the same... but then I wouldn't be doing what I do.
Personally I'm a little tired of the box sound, no matter if it's damped with sheep wool or fancy matrix.

nmw

« Reply #23 on: February 03, 2006, 08:57:34 AM »

the PMC IB1S are active...they have bryston amps on the back end.
perhaps they offer them in a passive version too and thats what you saw however ive only ever physically seen/heard actives.

you may also be able to squeeze IB2S into your budget, they are a bit outside but you may be able to haggle the dealer down or find somewhere with them within your range.

atlas pro audio do PMC IB1S actives for $6550 for example but theres plenty of others about that are closer to home.

the questeds with the sub will be outside your budget by a mile unless you look into the second hand sale on gear online. they come in at around $6000 each for the speakers and the sub putting them over your budget at around $12,000 or so.

mikepecchio

« Reply #24 on: February 03, 2006, 01:56:05 PM »

Meyer HD-1's would fit your criteria.

I havent heard it, but the new quested S10 might be worth auditioning as well.

mike

bobkatz

« Reply #25 on: February 03, 2006, 07:53:56 PM »

jfrigo wrote on Thu, 02 February 2006 21:56

I 'd look at the PMCs as suggested, and the Quested 3208, but the Dynaudio AIR would concern me. I don't want a speaker that applies digital signal processing and uses internal AD/DA conversion in a mastering studio. I bet these are great in a 5.1 post room, but they're off my list for mastering. Unfortunately, the budget doesn't quite allow you to get into 3-way ATCs like the SC50. That would be sweet.

What Jay says makes perfect sense. There is no analog input to the Air 25's. But at the price point, they're an accurate monitor tonally. If I were running a mastering studio and willing to accept PCM sources only, up to 96 kHz, I'd consider the Air 25's as they have far more low frequency extension and headroom at the price point than a lot of the competition.

I'd have to add it up, but a pair of Lipinski 707's with a sub and a pair of the Lipinski amplifiers would not be much more $$$, and their tonality, transparency, imaging and transient response will far exceed that of the "all-PCM" AIr 25's. Same with the ATC's Jay mentions, another favorite of mine as well.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

lagerfeldt

« Reply #26 on: February 03, 2006, 08:02:03 PM »

You're wrong there Bob. The Air 25's do have analog inputs, I saw them myself yesterday, and listened to them.

I think the misunderstanding comes from there being two versions of the Air 25, the cheaper digital only version, and the more expensive analog+digital version. I believe they're around $7.500 list price. I would be using them analog, getting signal from my own D/A's.

So the digital stuff is optional to use, not something that affects anything else than the price IMO.

However, if you found them nice in PCM mode that's just a bonus  Smile

lagerfeldt

« Reply #27 on: February 03, 2006, 08:10:49 PM »

nmw wrote on Fri, 03 February 2006 14:57

the PMC IB1S are active...they have bryston amps on the back end.

I see. But why isn't there any such info on the PMC website? Bugs me. There is no mention or pictures or specs of such an active version of the IB1S.

bblackwood

« Reply #28 on: February 03, 2006, 08:14:47 PM »

lagerfeldt wrote on Fri, 03 February 2006 19:02

You're wrong there Bob. The Air 25's do have analog inputs, I saw them myself yesterday, and listened to them.

I think the misunderstanding comes from there being two versions of the Air 25, the cheaper digital only version, and the more expensive analog+digital version. I believe they're around $7.500 list price. I would be using them analog, getting signal from my own D/A's.

Are you certain that the analog input model isn't simply adding an ADC? Seems like those speakers rely on the DSP to work, iirc (from AES a few years ago).

BTW, I may have missed it, but did you ever answer why they had to be powered? Seems like you are unnecessarily limiting yourself. I say spend the dough on good speakers and use a decent amp until you can afford to upgrade..
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Oldfart

« Reply #29 on: February 03, 2006, 08:15:17 PM »

I too would love to get into a pair of ATC's, but if I was to base myself on specs alone (never having heard any of them), it seems to me only the 150's would work without a sub.

The Boxer T3s also have me curious. I'm sure they sound great, but heard that their after sales service maybe questionable.

But these are all above the budget we are talking about here.

Anyone heard Munro's M1?

Oldfart
Denis Paquette
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.094 seconds with 20 queries.