R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New monitors, budget limited to $6.500 + VAT  (Read 23855 times)

lagerfeldt

Re: New monitors, budget limited to $6.500 + VAT
« Reply #45 on: February 04, 2006, 07:29:10 AM »

After some practical (getting some of the mentioned systems is very difficult in Denmark, meaning I can't audition them), technical (size) and moneytary considerations my top list of things to check out is:

jazzius

« Reply #46 on: February 04, 2006, 03:38:28 PM »

Definately go the passive + amp route......more upgrade options, better sound (in theory)

barefoot

« Reply #47 on: February 04, 2006, 06:30:19 PM »

jazzius wrote on Sat, 04 February 2006 12:38

Definately go the passive + amp route......more upgrade options, better sound (in theory)

I'm not sure how you arrive at that statement?   I guess it depends on what you define as better sound.    With respect to professional monitoring I consider things like lower distortion, faster impulse response, flatter group delay, and lower dynamic compression to be better; amongst other things.   And all things being equal, active speakers win hands down over passive speakers on these counts, in theory.  But of course, the end results always depend on the quality of any particular design and implementation.  

Thomas

Thomas Barefoot
 Barefoot Recording Monitors

bblackwood

« Reply #48 on: February 04, 2006, 06:59:31 PM »

Even though I've yet to hear an active system that beat my amp/speaker rig, Barefoot does knwo his stuff. He's not got a new speaker that's being distributed through Vintage King - probably worth a listen and looks like it fits your budget perfectly.

Read about it here.

http://www.vintageking.com/core/media/media.nl?id=30013&c=360669&h=94608e733b37ba82000b
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

Roland Storch

« Reply #49 on: February 04, 2006, 08:19:00 PM »

The Harbeth Monitor 40 could be it. Although it may be a little to wide with 52 cm.
Have not heard it myelf but in "The Absolute Sound" it is described as a very transparent monitor.

http://www.harbeth.co.uk/prospeakers/monitor40active/index.p hp

lagerfeldt

« Reply #50 on: February 04, 2006, 08:45:47 PM »

The Barefoot MCM27 looks very interesting. I guess they must be active although there's barely (no pun intended) any info about this on the website?

Danish/European distributors? If not, I think I'll be hard for me. They do look extremely sexy and the design is very interesting, so I would love to hear them.

PS. "Please note: for legal reasons Harbeth Active monitors are not exported outside the UK/Eire." Confused

bblackwood

« Reply #51 on: February 04, 2006, 09:21:46 PM »

You may try contacting Thomas Barefoot directly to see if he can work out a demo for you.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

UnderTow

« Reply #52 on: February 04, 2006, 11:25:31 PM »

lagerfeldt wrote on Sun, 05 February 2006 01:45

The Barefoot MCM27 looks very interesting. I guess they must be active although there's barely (no pun intended) any info about this on the website?

Some bigger pictures: http://www.barefootsound.com/mcm27.htm

Some opinions: http://gearslutz.com/board/showthread.php3?t=48222&page= 1&pp=30

Alistair

lagerfeldt

« Reply #53 on: February 05, 2006, 06:15:24 AM »

Goddamn I dreamt about these monitors all night and all of the morning. Guess it must mean something.

ammitsboel

« Reply #54 on: February 05, 2006, 07:58:21 AM »

lagerfeldt wrote on Sun, 05 February 2006 12:15

Goddamn I dreamt about these monitors all night and all of the morning. Guess it must mean something.
If you somehow get them for a demo I would like to stop by and give them a listen too. If that's ok with you?
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

lagerfeldt

« Reply #55 on: February 05, 2006, 08:16:19 AM »

Of course but aren't you still in the UK right now?

ammitsboel

« Reply #56 on: February 05, 2006, 09:18:02 AM »

lagerfeldt wrote on Sun, 05 February 2006 14:16

Of course but aren't you still in the UK right now?

No, not at the moment.
Right now I'm in DK.
"The male brain is designed for ecstasy" -Dr. Harvey "Gizmo" Rosenberg

bobkatz

« Reply #57 on: February 05, 2006, 04:37:34 PM »

barefoot wrote on Sat, 04 February 2006 18:30

jazzius wrote on Sat, 04 February 2006 12:38

I'm not sure how you arrive at that statement?   I guess it depends on what you define as better sound.    With respect to professional monitoring I consider things like lower distortion, faster impulse response, flatter group delay, and lower dynamic compression to be better; amongst other things.   And all things being equal, active speakers win hands down over passive speakers on these counts, in theory.  But of course, the end results always depend on the quality of any particular design and implementation.  

Thomas

I disagree. In practice (not in theory) most active speakers are a bit underpowered or exhibit some form of dynamic compression compared with what you can construct passively. All things are NEVER equal because of size and weight considerations.

For example, one of the most highly-regarded active loudspeakers is the Meyer HD-1. It's a terrific speaker, plays loudly and cleanly, but it doesn't compare to the passive prototype that Meyer originally designed with those drivers and cabinet. Meyer has put a limiter circuit in the HD-1 to protect something (the drivers? the amplifier?) which goes into action without any indicator light. I did a mix on a pair of HD-1's and then took the mix to my mastering studio, only to discover that the ONLY thing that needed to be done to the mix was a tetch of compression as the recording was a bit over dynamic. But the HD-1's did not reveal that.

Size and weight considerations? Try putting my Pass X250, which weighs 75 pounds by itself, into a speaker cabinet  Smile

Another example, you can power up a Dynaudio BM15 with much better amplification than what's in the BM15A and they have much more headroom. I don't understand why you would say that group delay or any other factor cannot be equal on the "passive" side. If the physical and electrical filters are the same, all that remains is a question of amplifier power and quality.

Next, if you check out Lipinski's philosophy, he refuses to build active speakers because of the sonic effects of the microphonics from the vibration. How audible that is would be probably on the same level as the dithering test, but I suspect microphonic effects on components may be audible to some degree. A bit more "fuzz" in the sound?

Nevertheless, I do agree that there are some very well-constructed active loudspeakers. The Meyer HD-1 is no slouch, nor is the Dynaudio BM15A, or the Air 25, or some models of ATC whose numbers escape me. But I guarantee that the passive equivalent of the same loudspeaker will sound much better when you eliminate the compromises.
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

zetterstroem

« Reply #58 on: February 05, 2006, 05:58:50 PM »

lagerfeldt wrote on Sun, 05 February 2006 12:15

what a nightmare!!  Laughing  Laughing

i once dreamt that my stereo wouldn't stop playing although i turned ot off and unplugged it from the wall outlet!!  Shocked  Shocked
Noting the music industry's complaints that illegal downloading means people are getting their music for free, he said, "Well, why not? It ain't worth nothing anyway." (b.dylan)

DBarbarulo

« Reply #59 on: February 05, 2006, 06:24:26 PM »

i think the IB1S activated are quite doubling the 6500$ budget...

...do you guys trust in second hand speakers?

DB
      www.20Hz20kHz.com
 stereo & surround mastering
            Italy
Pages: 1 2 3 [4] 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.061 seconds with 19 queries.