R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Down

Author Topic: New monitors, budget limited to $6.500 + VAT  (Read 23867 times)

Ged Leitch

Re: New monitors, budget limited to $6.500 + VAT
« Reply #30 on: February 03, 2006, 08:18:00 PM »

lagerfeldt wrote on Sat, 04 February 2006 01:10

nmw wrote on Fri, 03 February 2006 14:57

the PMC IB1S are active...they have bryston amps on the back end.

I see. But why isn't there any such info on the PMC website? Bugs me. There is no mention or pictures or specs of such an active version of the IB1S.

Hey Lagerfeldt, there seems to be alot of B&W stuff going on ebay at very affordable prices at the moment, try it out, sometimes you'll find nothing but the home theatre stuff but recently there were 604's , 801's etc and went for about
http://bitheadmastering.co.uk/

"...But I don't wanna be a pirate!"

lagerfeldt

« Reply #31 on: February 03, 2006, 08:20:49 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sat, 04 February 2006 02:14

Are you certain that the analog input model isn't simply adding an ADC? Seems like those speakers rely on the DSP to work, iirc (from AES a few years ago).

BTW, I may have missed it, but did you ever answer why they had to be powered? Seems like you are unnecessarily limiting yourself. I say spend the dough on good speakers and use a decent amp until you can afford to upgrade..

Good question there Brad. Made me investigate a bit, and I think you may be right. So I might be wrong about the digital processing after all. Sorry. Sad

Anyway, they still sounded very good, but obviously you start getting concerns when you add an extra layer of A/D+D/A or even D/A conversion to your monitor setup.

Bob Boyd

« Reply #32 on: February 03, 2006, 08:23:55 PM »

It should be noted that the versions of the AIR speakers that have analog inputs go through an A/D stage, the processing (if you use it) and then the D/A.  The analog input does not go straight to the amp.  I just listened to the AIR 15 at a dealer.  In the end, there was just too much in between me and what I was sending them for me to feel comfortable.
Bob Boyd
ambientdigital, Houston

http://ambientdigital.com
http://myspace.com/ambientdigital

Twitter: @bobboyd

Look, I know it's mean.  But sometimes the end justifies the mean.

lagerfeldt

« Reply #33 on: February 03, 2006, 08:25:57 PM »

zetterstroem wrote on Fri, 03 February 2006 13:54

holger.... the speakers i was talking about were of course my speakers  Very Happy

Let me have it, not the next week but the week after ok? Could you email me your phone number again thanx.

Do you have any info on them, pictures, specs, etc.

ABOUT ACTIVES
I guess my avoidance of passive monitors comes from not knowing all I wish to know about amps and how to best integrate amps with my monitor control the best way. Also I don't want to get more stuff in the studio than necessary. I can see that's a limiting factor and maybe I should change my stance on that. I've always used actives, since 1998 and only used a high quality hi-fi amp for my Minipods.

lagerfeldt

« Reply #34 on: February 03, 2006, 08:28:33 PM »

Bob Boyd wrote on Sat, 04 February 2006 02:23

The analog input does not go straight to the amp.

Exactly, there is analog input but I was wrong about the digital processing after all. Sorry.  

They still sound good but I get concerns about adding extra ADDA.

bblackwood

« Reply #35 on: February 03, 2006, 08:39:33 PM »

lagerfeldt wrote on Fri, 03 February 2006 19:25

I guess my avoidance of passive monitors comes from not knowing all I wish to know about amps and how to best integrate amps with my monitor control the best way.

You should experiment - I'd venture that 99% of all mastering studios anyone's heard of use separate power amps.
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

lagerfeldt

« Reply #36 on: February 03, 2006, 08:41:37 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Sat, 04 February 2006 02:39

lagerfeldt wrote on Fri, 03 February 2006 19:25

I guess my avoidance of passive monitors comes from not knowing all I wish to know about amps and how to best integrate amps with my monitor control the best way.

You should experiment - I'd venture that 99% of all mastering studios anyone's heard of use separate power amps.

I know, I know. No rest for the wicked.

rdolmat

« Reply #37 on: February 03, 2006, 08:46:39 PM »

How about these..

http://www.musiciansbuy.com/ALESIS_PROLINEAR820DSP_EACH_W_FR EE.html

Then you'll never ever have to buy another speaker again! they have onboard DSP that can emulate any speaker in the world...

Laughing  Laughing  Laughing  Laughing
Cheers
rich

bobkatz

« Reply #38 on: February 03, 2006, 09:08:30 PM »

bblackwood wrote on Fri, 03 February 2006 20:14

lagerfeldt wrote on Fri, 03 February 2006 19:02

You're wrong there Bob. The Air 25's do have analog inputs, I saw them myself yesterday, and listened to them.

I think the misunderstanding comes from there being two versions of the Air 25, the cheaper digital only version, and the more expensive analog+digital version. I believe they're around $7.500 list price. I would be using them analog, getting signal from my own D/A's.

Are you certain that the analog input model isn't simply adding an ADC? Seems like those speakers rely on the DSP to work, iirc (from AES a few years ago).

BTW, I may have missed it, but did you ever answer why they had to be powered? Seems like you are unnecessarily limiting yourself. I say spend the dough on good speakers and use a decent amp until you can afford to upgrade..

Brad is right, to the best of my knowledge, the analog input is just an input to an A/D converter within the AIR series. I'm 95% sure of that.

BK
There are two kinds of fools,
One says-this is old and therefore good.
The other says-this is new and therefore better."

No trees were killed in the sending of this message. However a large number of
electrons were terribly inconvenienced.

lagerfeldt

« Reply #39 on: February 03, 2006, 09:32:00 PM »

Yes you are correct. I think you missed my earlier post.

lagerfeldt wrote on Sat, 04 February 2006 02:20

Good question there Brad. Made me investigate a bit, and I think you may be right. So I might be wrong about the digital processing after all. Sorry. Sad

Anyway, they still sounded very good, but obviously you start getting concerns when you add an extra layer of A/D+D/A or even D/A conversion to your monitor setup.

dave-G

« Reply #40 on: February 03, 2006, 10:00:13 PM »

You might want to check the ME-Geithain RL901k  or the smaller 922k (which afaik, is similar to the 901k but with smaller LF driver and cabinet).   The 901k is outstanding, but I don't know what it costs there.  

Or, the O300D with sub(s).

On the other hand, if you go the passive route, your options and future upgradability go way up.  

Lots to try out...  barrels of fun.

-dave
DAVE GREENBERG
SONOPOD MASTERING

cerberus

« Reply #41 on: February 04, 2006, 12:52:04 AM »

focal sm8  these have linear phase crossovers, they are very accurate for their size. most natural transient repro i've ever heard. imaging is pinpoint, absence of "boxy" sound comparable to electrostatic designs.   in direct comparison, larger dynaudios seemed seem loose, wooly, plywood boxes. cost is around 4000. per pair.  considering the quality of the amplification, imo, more than worth the money.

jeff dinces

Riccardo

« Reply #42 on: February 04, 2006, 04:33:08 AM »

lagerfeldt wrote on Sat, 04 February 2006 01:10

nmw wrote on Fri, 03 February 2006 14:57

the PMC IB1S are active...they have bryston amps on the back end.

I see. But why isn't there any such info on the PMC website? Bugs me. There is no mention or pictures or specs of such an active version of the IB1S.

Because they are "activated" as opposed to "active" in PMC speech.
An active model (the little AML is an exception) comes with EXTERNAL power amps and crossovers. All components are matched to the given speaker. Even if they do look like the relative Bryston counterparts they are actually different  and tailored to the specific model they are used with.

Activated means you get a given speaker model with a power pack, thath is a Bryston mono block amp that attaches to the rear of the speaker. That reduces the distance between the amp and crossover that you would have with a separate amp and a set of cables.

If you have a look at the PDF catalogue on their website you should be able to find pictutres and specs.

lagerfeldt

« Reply #43 on: February 04, 2006, 07:13:25 AM »

dave-G wrote on Sat, 04 February 2006 04:00

Or, the O300D with sub(s).

I've never been as impressed with the amount of information as with the Klein+Hummel O300. My only concern is the very low end and using subs is a big question mark for me. I used to have a sub but got rid of it with my ADAM S2.5A's. But maybe K+H O300 + sub is also worth checking out.

nmw

« Reply #44 on: February 04, 2006, 07:16:30 AM »

if you click the IB1S under the pro monitor category on the PMC website then click the specifications box, a new window pops up and it lists all the details incl:.
Activated     Powerpac 120™
250W/8Ohms
Distortion <0.0007% 20hz-20kHz
full o/p
Slew rate .60 micro seconds
Power B width 1Hz to 100Hz

i see why it may seem confusing though as they have a separate section for active systems however they also do for hifi speakers. it must just be how they decided to group things. theres BB5 in the pro section and active sections!!
Pages: 1 2 [3] 4 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.085 seconds with 21 queries.