R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Ribbon mic recommendations?  (Read 9633 times)

Re: Ribbon mic recommendations?
« Reply #15 on: February 05, 2006, 01:33:12 PM »

rodabod wrote on Fri, 03 February 2006 17:50

Oooh. Very nice! I've seen these before. Are they closed at the back (ie. cardioid-ish)?

Probably worth a few bob. I had a GEC ribbon which was actually a smaller version of the Marconi/BBC AXBT. Very pretty, and very expensive! Hopefully yours might have the same ribbon motor.

PM me regarding re-ribboning.

Roddy

Will do.  Cheers mang!  

cdr-1

« Reply #16 on: February 07, 2006, 08:47:43 AM »

Quote:

I tend to not like ribbons for OHd's since they pick up so much room too and are therefore less focused.

I'm gonna pick up my first ribbon mic pretty soon, I am looking to use it as an overhead.

Does anybody have experience just covering up the back of a fig 8 ribbon to change the pattern? I know this is done w/ some RCA's and I've seen a reslo on eBay w/ that feature. If so, is there a big change in the frequency response?

Adam
"Henceforth I shall suck the teat of the musical welfare state. I have become a DJ."

rodabod

« Reply #17 on: February 07, 2006, 02:20:51 PM »

cdr-1 wrote on Tue, 07 February 2006 13:47

Does anybody have experience just covering up the back of a fig 8 ribbon to change the pattern?

If so, is there a big change in the frequency response?

You can't just simply cover the rear side to change the pattern as this will change the frequency response and cause a HF rise.

Basically, the reason that ribbon mics have a flat response is because they respond to velocity. with sound only arriving at one side, we would expect a 6dB per octave rise in volume, but this is cancelled in a fig. of eight design since the same signal arrives out of phase on the other side - hence providing a flat response.

In order to get a decent cardioid response, you'll need to vent it properly in a controlled manner so as to achieve a reasonable frequency response. This is done using acoustical labyrinths, etc. which are engineered specifically.

I would still experiment though, as you can still achieve good results. Try taping some felt to the rear of the microphone and compare results. To directly hear the effect of closing one side, place your hand on the rear of the mic whilst speaking into it.
Roddy Bell

« Reply #18 on: February 07, 2006, 05:08:11 PM »

has anyone tried the electroharmonix/oktava ribbon?

-a.

Rautio

« Reply #19 on: February 08, 2006, 02:38:09 AM »

Just heard the Sontronics active ribbon yesterday. Can´t compare it to a Royer since I´ve never tried one, but god I´d love to track a resonator guitar through that beast  Cool
Sami Rautio
"Humans are not proud of their ancestors, and rarely invite them round to dinner."
-Douglas Adams

http://www.myshameful.com

tim mcallister

« Reply #20 on: February 09, 2006, 05:13:00 PM »

scottoliphant wrote on Thu, 02 February 2006 02:57

would a coles pair be a good choice for drum overheads? are some ribbons better (better being subjective i suppose) than others as overheads?

Of course it's subjective.

I've tried AEA84 and Coles 4038 as drum overheads. I prefer the coles by a significant margin.

The AEA seems to have more high end extension, resulting in a more "Hi-Fi" sound. Some may love this, I don't. I also felt the coles was a bit meatier in the lows/mids. I love how cymbals sound with the coles. Perfect!

I use the coles on drums (usually mono mic the drums) and it KILLS on tenor sax.

thanks my opinion Smile

cenafria

« Reply #21 on: February 10, 2006, 05:39:58 AM »

I have also found the 4038 amazing on tenor sax. I mean it nailed it. Also had good results on trumpet. I like them as overheads (with a glyn johns set up, blumheim and m-s). I've also used m160/m130s for overheads. More definition, less"size". To me the lower mids on the 4038 are what makes them different from the other ribbons I've tried (121, m160, m130, reslo, 77 (this was closer...))

I also like the coles on guitar cabs but end up having to move it back because of volume a lot of the time (does tend to make me paranoid (I only have two 4038s))... I enjoyed the royer more in this application (although sound was very different, more definition...)

Generally I've found the coles and beyers great on strings when they are close mic'd.

the 4038 was great on harmonium once...

the m160 I've gotten great results on vocals many times. The m130 also but not as often. (other mics in the line up: 67, um57, c12a, re20...)

I hope some of this is useful

Javier Ortiz
javier@estudiobrazil.com
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.199 seconds with 19 queries.