R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: recording mic's...  (Read 2492 times)

core

recording mic's...
« on: January 30, 2006, 02:43:32 PM »

hey,
so Im new here and im not sure how everything works,so sorry if this is in the wrong section,but i have a question:

I want to get a couple of condenser mic's that are versatile ,produce good sound but  are pretty cheap.

As i want to be able to record drums,vocals,guitar and bass guitar on the same mic,my budget is a round
::kiteline::

nivv_k

Re: recording mic's...
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 07:23:34 PM »

hi there
you strictly need 2 condenser?
if not surely take one sm57 wich everyone here is talking like the bargain mic for using everywhere/cheapness with interesting levels
this leaves you with something more then the half your budget for a condenser
it's not a lot of money but you may consider some ebay-bargain or things like that
to choose the right condenser twist some topics and you will find lot of inputs (about it)
the money for a good large diagphram condenser should request a little effort but can give back a lot of satisfactions and difference in sonic solutions used and blended with the sm57
that's my poor opinion
i'm not a pro
however these are not only my words
i love when something play damned good with a good idea behind

Han S.

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 07:31:41 PM »

How can you reccommend an SM57 on Steve's board? Very Happy The 57 is history, a boxy sounding mic with a nasty OAR.

jetbase

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 07:41:17 PM »

i would take two sm57's over two cheap condensers, especially for the versatility you want.
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

core

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 04:18:40 AM »

thanks,i have 1 sm57 and it gives off a lot of distotion when recording from an amp and drums,which is why i wasn't to impressed with it...

anyone have an opinion on project b1's,i have been reccomended to get them....?

Han S.

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 09:32:27 AM »

You'll be surprised how much better a SP B1 sounds than a 57 on many applications , but actually you can't compare a condenser to a dynamic. The B1 is kind of an el cheapo condenser workhorse, not brilliant, but decent on many things.

core

« Reply #6 on: January 31, 2006, 10:14:21 AM »

cool,thanks.you reckon their suitable for recording from guitar amps and drums?(sorry about all the questions i just have a  realy small budget and want to get the best i can for it)

Han S.

« Reply #7 on: January 31, 2006, 10:26:11 AM »

Core, search the forums for Studio Projects B1 and you'll find a ton of discussion about it. Homerecording.com, Gearslutz Harmony Central and all the other forums.

I do have two B1's for when I'm out of condensers and I've had decent results on guitar amps, much better than the 57 which I only use as a talkback mic. It sounds decent or even good on upright bass, acoustic guitar, some vocals and many other applications. The only thing the really sucked (IMHO) was on horns like trumpet and T-bone.

As for drums they really sound good as OH, but only in jazz and music like that, not on a loud rock drummer. And I learned from other forums that Dan Richard (DOT) likes them on toms and snare.

core

« Reply #8 on: January 31, 2006, 10:33:16 AM »

ok i will search thanks a lot for your help,much appreciated. Smile

EDIT: I just had a look around and read about the 'Marshall Electronics MXL V57M Studio Condenser Microphone', i searched the forums and could not find anything aobut this mic(although im sure theur msut be),anyone have an opiion or advice on this?

Fig

« Reply #9 on: January 31, 2006, 10:46:31 AM »

core wrote on Tue, 31 January 2006 03:18

i have 1 sm57 and it gives off a lot of distotion when recording from an amp and drums,which is why i wasn't to impressed with it...

FWIW, dynamic mic capsules do not distort.  This is why you will not see a "Max SPL" specification for dynamic mics.  Nor will you find many dynamic mics that have a pad Rolling Eyes  

If you are experiencing distortion from a dynamic mic, you should check your preamp setting.

$0.02,

Fig
The easiest thing to do is the thing most easily forgotten.

Han S.

« Reply #10 on: January 31, 2006, 12:52:33 PM »

I think you'll have to search for the MXL V67 which is a cheap Large Diaphragm Condenser mic. The MXL57 is a shockmount.

The V67 is a dark and quite colored sounding mic. The SP B1 is a neutral sounding mic.

SirDonut

« Reply #11 on: January 31, 2006, 01:50:37 PM »

core wrote on Mon, 30 January 2006 19:43

hey,
so Im new here and im not sure how everything works,so sorry if this is in the wrong section,but i have a question:

I want to get a couple of condenser mic's that are versatile ,produce good sound but  are pretty cheap.

As i want to be able to record drums,vocals,guitar and bass guitar on the same mic,my budget is a round
Pages: [1]   Go Up