R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Down

Author Topic: My First Time In A For-Real Studio  (Read 15326 times)

jetbase

Re: My First Time In A For-Real Studio
« Reply #60 on: February 02, 2006, 05:18:26 PM »

funny, i've found recording things well easier than recording things badly. ronny, maybe you should make your students do projects without eq, dynamics or effects. one of my clients made me do that at the beginning of my career & i'm forever grateful.

again, just in case you missed in my last post & since it's been left out where i've been quoted, i'm against the fix it in the mix mentality. i've worked a lot in the past on direct to stereo classical & jazz recordings where there was no mix to fix it in.

cheers,
glenn

p.s. i like that... "fake it till ya make it", ha ha! well, our clients are allowed to do it...
sleep is not an option

jwhynot: "There's a difference between thinking or acting dogmatically and drawing from experience."

Glenn Santry
http://www.myspace.com/glennsantry

craig boychuk

« Reply #61 on: February 02, 2006, 05:40:04 PM »

wiggins wrote on Tue, 31 January 2006 13:01

Okay, so you got some pre's with fancy names like AMPEX written in big letters on the front, but they're still just preamps. You got compressors and limiters with pretty knobs and names like "RED STRIPE" and expensive price tags, but they're still just compressors and limiters. Okay, you got phantom power, phase reverse, solo, mute, fader. Cool.

Jim will be there to help me. I doubt he's going to let me screw up any of his stuff. I'm obviously not going to be able to align the tape machines or navigate the patch bay at first glance, but that's why Jim is there.

I think the two above points sum things up nicely.

I'm a pretty young guy myself, and was in a similar situation to you several years ago. I sure didn't make audio my main source of income by letting other people twiddle the knobs.

You grasp the concepts, you have some experience, and you have the studio owner to help you figure out how the place is wired.

Sounds like a no-brainer to me.

Fuck it dude, go for it.

-craig

Capture the pasture rapture.
www.cbaudio.com

wiggins

« Reply #62 on: February 10, 2006, 11:32:40 AM »

Next monday's the day.

I think I'm just gonna let Jim do it, be as hands-on as he'll let me. Which will probably be a substantial amount. I sat in on another session last weekend. There's things he does that I'd do differently as far as sound goes, and hopefully we can come to a compromise of some sort.

I'll take kickass notes and let all of you know how it turns out.

Thanks again.

scottoliphant

« Reply #63 on: February 10, 2006, 11:57:12 AM »

awesome, have fun
btw, your band sounds pretty cool. you guys are talented players, that always makes things go a lot easier =)

wiggins

« Reply #64 on: February 16, 2006, 02:00:53 PM »

Okay! So tracking is done, we're going back for half a day on monday to make final mixes.

I ended up not doing much in the way of engineering, but I definetly got more familiar with the place and how it works, and Jim said he'd cut me a deal on the rate if I want to bring a band in to record sometime soon. I've got a couple of bands lined up that might want to take him up on that offer, so I'm really excited.

For a somewhat-detailed account of the tracking process, you can read my recording journal here.

Thanks.

xonlocust

« Reply #65 on: February 16, 2006, 02:24:36 PM »

wiggins wrote on Thu, 16 February 2006 13:00

Okay! So tracking is done, we're going back for half a day on monday to make final mixes.

I ended up not doing much in the way of engineering, but I definetly got more familiar with the place and how it works, and Jim said he'd cut me a deal on the rate if I want to bring a band in to record sometime soon. I've got a couple of bands lined up that might want to take him up on that offer, so I'm really excited.

For a somewhat-detailed account of the tracking process, you can read my recording journal here.

Thanks.

see? congrats!  Smile

John Ivan

« Reply #66 on: February 19, 2006, 05:12:16 AM »

Cool Wiggins!! It's great how thing's seem to work out.Glad you'll get in to Engineer some stuff and you'll know the room better. Very cool

Let us know what happens.  

Ivan..................................................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Pages: 1 ... 3 4 [5]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.032 seconds with 19 queries.