R/E/P > Reason In Audio

WARNING! headphones will ruin your hearing

<< < (2/7) > >>

maxdimario:
This is true, but the damage achieved by direct coupling of the headphone to the eardrum is devastating.

it's a lot simpler to ruin your hearing with headphones.

I'd like to stress this point as much as possible, because we are used to having laws that limit us from doing permanent harm to ourselves, but there are no official campaigns that illustrate the danger involved to the degree that the average user will be convinced of the potential for harm.

Ronny:
maxdimario wrote on Tue, 31 January 2006 06:13
This is true, but the damage achieved by direct coupling of the headphone to the eardrum is devastating.

it's a lot simpler to ruin your hearing with headphones.

I'd like to stress this point as much as possible, because we are used to having laws that limit us from doing permanent harm to ourselves, but there are no official campaigns that illustrate the danger involved to the degree that the average user will be convinced of the potential for harm.

I've never gotten the ear damage thing, when it's loud enough to damage my ears it's uncomfortable to me and I turn it down. It's definitely not the gear that is responsible, but the person that is turning the volume knob. You can get damage from speakers or cans equally, it's just that can's are much more likely to give damage as people listen to them all of the time and a loud rock concert typically is over within a couple of hours. The cans are also flat up against the ear and no matter which way the head is turned the gain stays loud. The way it works is SPL at X amount of time. The louder it is, the less time you can listen before damage occurs, up until a point where dB does instant damage, that's around the 140dBA level, IIRC when that occurs.

eightyeightkeys:
Also, wear hearing protection when you're doing any kind of construction that could be harmful. Hammering a nail, nail guns, bashing 2X6's into place, etc....
i have a feeling that this is how I've injured my right ear (though I'm not sure). Building my second studio. Just frickin' great.

Ronny:
Dave @ D&D wrote on Tue, 31 January 2006 12:39
Also, wear hearing protection when you're doing any kind of construction that could be harmful. Hammering a nail, nail guns, bashing 2X6's into place, etc....
i have a feeling that this is how I've injured my right ear (though I'm not sure). Building my second studio. Just frickin' great.

I'll bet there are many more factory workers with hearing damage than musicians or audio engs. They remain exposed all day long 5, 6 days a week. Study has been done on factory workers where narrow frequency ranges are damaging. For example working near a machine that outputs a very loud narrow band of freq's. They can lose acuity in one narrow range while remaining normal in the rest of the spectrum.

tamasdragon:
In my case cans were protected me from hearing loss. I was mixing monitors live for a top band in Hungary for 4 years. I alway worn cans. I quickly learned how my 'mixes' translates to wedges, and in-ears. My good headphones protected me. I used a volume in them, which was comfortable for me. I muted them for periods, so headphones became a protect device. Now I'm doing live very rarely, but the doctors exam proved that I have no hearing loss. All I tried to tell you is that, if you use cans wise, than it's not more offensive to your hearing than anything else in this world.
Regards Tamas Dragon

Navigation

[0] Message Index

[#] Next page

[*] Previous page

Go to full version