R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Yamaha Power Supply Problem  (Read 2350 times)

Geoff Edwards

Yamaha Power Supply Problem
« on: January 30, 2006, 12:47:01 AM »

Hi group.

I've been lurking here for a while. Lotsa good stuff. You guys seem to have a lot of knowlede and contacts. So when I ran into a problem I decided to register and ask you guys for some help.

We have a private studio here in Baja and we have a problem after moving our Yamaha PM3000 console.

We had to move the console and the PSU rack because we were doing a studio and CR remodel. During the equipment removal, the PSU to console cable got sliced...not in two...but many of the interior cables of the main cable were slicked into, very cleanly.

No one saw this slice as it was like a razor slice and it wasn't noticable when the PSU and console were reconnected.

We had all of the modules out of the console when we powered up the PSU (thank God) and the PSU literally buzzed & smoked! Then the breakers tripped shortly after the 'fog' show.

We located the sliced area, as now it was a melted mess of insulation in that area of the cable.

We disconnected the PSU from the cable that runs to the console. We tried to power up the PSU but it still buzzed and smoked and tripped the breakers.

We opened it up, but the insides are 4 individual power supply units. It's a custom made unit...very well made, but very complicated (beyond our abilities) and so we wanted to send this back to the manufacturer.

Here's the deal...we had this custom high current PSU made for the Yamaha console when we had major mods done to it. So the PSU is not made by Yamama. The console mods and the PSU were all done by GRS Systems in California.

We have been trying to located GRS Systems to have them do the repair work, but we can't locate them. They obviously moved from Southern California...but we can't find out where.

Does anyone here know of GRS Systems and where they have moved too? Anyone have an address or phone number?

We'd like to get GRS to do the repairs. The console mods and the PSU they made is have really been awesome. They did a superior job and i know they do major console refurbs and repairs all the time. So I want them to do the repairs to their unit.

Any help is really appreciated!

Peace,

Geoff Edwards
Geoff Edwards Recording

Brian Roth

Re: Yamaha Power Supply Problem
« Reply #1 on: January 30, 2006, 03:48:09 AM »

Odd that the supply didn't have short circuit/overcurrent protection which functioned, but  oh well!

Are the internal modules along the lines of this:

http://www.power-one.com/resources/products/datasheet/lin.pd f

If they are, then you can replace an entire module which has smoked.

Or, post a picture on this forum of what is inside the chassis.

Bri

Brian Roth Technical Services
Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

Geoff Edwards

« Reply #2 on: January 30, 2006, 08:48:17 AM »

Hello Brian,

Nope...they don't look anything like those supplies. The supplies on the inside of the case are kind of a gold anodized color and are completely enclosed in mostly expanded steel (looking) surround over the individual chassis. The silkscreened logos say 'GRS Systems - Linear Power Supply - Model PS120-24' this is on 2 units and the others are model PS120/15, 18A, PS120/5 12A and PS120/48 1A. The whole thing says it weighs 120 lbs ! It's a heavy mother!

The breakers DID trip on the unit! The buzz started instantly on the PSU then smoke followed within about 20 seconds then the breakers in the PSU tripped.

No digital camera here, so no pics to post. Sorry.

Another guy emailed me who says he knows where the GRS guys are located. So I hope this pans out.

Thanks Brian!

Geoff Edwards

« Reply #3 on: January 30, 2006, 10:11:10 PM »

PROBLEM RESOLVED!

The guys from GRS Systems contacted me. They saw my post on this forum!!!

I received a BRAND NEW replacement supply by Fed-Ex ( sent over-night express) this afternoon!!! NO CHARGE!!! There was also a return UPS label included for me to return the supply we killed. AWESOME!

Ted at GRS called this morning and said that a replacement supply would be here today! He said all of their supplies carry a 5 YEAR WARRANTY...no questions asked! I was really surprised by this, since it was our fault that the power supply blew in the first place. I told him that and he said NO PROBLEM! We'll cover it!

What can I say, except THANK YOU. I'm glad I posted on this forum or I would never have gotten this taken care of.

Thanks R-E-P and all of you. And THANKS GRS SYSTEMS! You guys ROCK IT !

Peace,

Geoff

Brian Roth

« Reply #4 on: January 31, 2006, 02:54:53 AM »

Interesting!  Those GRS modules sound vaguely like Acopians:

http://www.acopian.com/single-l-goldbox-m.html

but the model numbers don't coincide.  Does GRS have a website?  Sounds interesting....

Bri

Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

Geoff Edwards

« Reply #5 on: January 31, 2006, 04:07:25 AM »

Hello Brian,

No, they don't look like the ones in the web site link of yours. They have the open mesh on the back, front and the sides of each unit as well as on the top. The sides are gold, not black. They look more rectangular than the ones in the pictures. They are about 18" long except for the little 48 volt jobber. And the bottom base chassis is like a black anodize color and they do not have the terminal strip on the back either. They have the connections inside a wiring box on the end with some really large lugs, except for the smaller sense lugs. They are all marked with the GRS logo on them, sides and on a top plate.

Don't know if they have a web site. But I got their new address if you want it. Just email me if you do.

By the way, the replacement PSU is installed and the console is working just fine too! Time for a Margarita on the beach!

Thanks for your posts Brian.

Peace,

Geoff

Brian Roth

« Reply #6 on: February 01, 2006, 04:04:22 AM »

Cool beans..

FWIW, post the GRS site so the Rest Of Us can get in contact with them for any future requirements.

Bri

Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com

Geoff Edwards

« Reply #7 on: February 01, 2006, 05:00:29 AM »

Hi Brian,

As I said above...I don't know that they have a web site. I don't have an address. Their literature doesn't list a web site.

I do have their address, it's:

GRS Systems, LLC
26741 Portola Pkwy.
Bldg. 1E #444
Foothill Ranch, CA 92610

949 586-4678

Peace,

Geoff

Brian Roth

« Reply #8 on: February 02, 2006, 04:39:38 AM »

Hmmm!  Looks like GRS has "other fish to fry":

http://www.grs-systems.com/content.htm

But, they have some P&G faders listed:

http://www.grs-systems.com/cat94_1.htm

Bri

Oklahoma City, OK
www.BrianRoth.com
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 21 queries.