R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: acoustic guitar sound help, mine is shitty  (Read 17640 times)

Ronny

Re: acoustic guitar sound help, mine is shitty
« Reply #15 on: January 31, 2006, 10:14:24 AM »

maxdimario wrote on Tue, 31 January 2006 06:25

The martins you buy now are dull in the mids and have a peaky high end.

the old martins can cut it (mahogany is better for rhythm).

martins seem to have a lot more bass than you need for recording, so you have to be careful about the mics etc.

I guess this applies to all 12 million Martins and 212 models made since the 1800's hey, Max.

Fact of the matter is that the tone on any acoustic guitar changes with the position of the mic and where the ear of the listener resides. If the guitar is boomy, stick a fret mic on there, and cut the hole mic track down and you'll compensate for the boom with the fret mic, as it will only capture the highs with serious lack of low end. I'd put the fret mic as close as you can get though, because the SPL from the hole mic is going to make that track significantly hotter. On mixdown the fret mic track fader will have to be higher than the hole mic 99% of the time. For guitarists that have a problem not hearing the sound they want, a great trick that works for me is an LC placed on a large boom and over the shoulder of the guitarists strumming hand, at ear height, cardioid pattern capsule facing down and placed just in front of the plane of the front panel on the guitar and added to the fret and hole mic for 3 tracks. This will pickup the guitar from the players perspective, what he normally hears. I started doing this long ago with picky orchestra soloists that would complain about not capturing their tone. Dawned on me one day to just stick another mic near their ear and nipped that problem in the bud, but found that it worked even better on acoustic guitar for adding a natural sound. You can even add the bridge transducer if it's decent and have 4 tracks on the one acoustic guitar performance, but typically micing the hole, 12th fret and over the shoulder, works on any guitar with any performer.

On mixdown I typically pan the hole track slightly L or R of center and the fret mic opposite, eq and blend the gains so that they are equal volume in L and R. The over the shoulder mic is than mixed in "center panned", to add natural ambience and the formants from the performers perspective. Depending on the mix balance whether the hole track goes on the L or R, I tend to balance the lows and highs across the L and R axis, if there's a bass guitar on the L side slightly off center or a low synth panned L, I'll stick the hole track from the guitar on the R side and the fret track on the L.

Most of the time I use a dynamic mic on the hole. Lately I like the Audix OM-6 as it has high SPL and goes up almost as high in frequency response as a large condenser at 19kHz. Small condenser on the 12th fret like a KM184 and a U87 or Rode NTK tube for the over the shoulder mic. I typically place the hole mic close but on 45 degree axis, so that it's not directly in front of the hole, but facing it and as close as I can get it and still have the performer playing comfortably. Fret mic as close as I can get without artist bumping it and the over the shoulder about 5 inches in front of the vertical plane of the front panel of the guitar with capsule facing down about 2 feet above the hole.

If you understand what I'm relating rjd2 and you mirror my 3 mic technique, I'll guarantee you that you'll get a good sound, providing the guitar is decent to begin with.

Max this is the technique that I mentioned to you, where the guitarists have commented that the recording sounded better than the live sound.  
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

smj

« Reply #16 on: January 31, 2006, 12:22:13 PM »

Has anyone had any good results using a pickup system of any kind???  I've been thinking of getting a K&K trinity system...anyone recorded anything with it?

Sean Meredith-Jones

bushwick

« Reply #17 on: January 31, 2006, 05:39:22 PM »

The best recorded acoustic sounds I have gotten have come from guitars that don't have a ton of bottom end - regardless of whether I use one or more mics.

josh
Joshua Kessler
bushwick  studio
brooklyn, ny
www.bushwickstudio.com

maxdimario

« Reply #18 on: January 31, 2006, 06:03:28 PM »

Quote:

If you understand what I'm relating rjd2 and you mirror my 3 mic technique, I'll guarantee you that you'll get a good sound, providing the guitar is decent to begin with.

Max this is the technique that I mentioned to you, where the guitarists have commented that the recording sounded better than the live sound.

this may very well be, as you are using the mics to make the sound happen.

Most martins, after Martin put a truss rod in the neck, sound too bassy and soft or stiff for a one mic recording, if you want to mix them with drums etc.in my experience.

Early martins have a more complex and present midrange.

When people think of martin they think dreadnaught.

dreadnaught guitars were ok when microphones had a lot of bass roll-off, in the early days of broadcast.

Martin actually didn't approve of the design initially as it is inherently unbalanced.

The smaller martin guitars are more balanced and will work with one or two mics.

guild is dryer but more balanced sounding.

Gibson guitars built before 1970 can do the job well without need for eq.

anyway bassy and soft sounding guitars work better live, or at the music store, than on record... unless you use special mic'ing etc as ronny does.

I don't like Taylors or the boutique guitars most of the time because they are too cute sounding, and they don't stand up too well.

there are some exceptions of course.

I think that acoustic sounds need to be a little on the dry sound to work well, but it has to be a complex dry.. like fine whiskey

smorgdonkey

« Reply #19 on: January 31, 2006, 10:28:27 PM »

bushwick wrote on Tue, 31 January 2006 15:39

The best recorded acoustic sounds I have gotten have come from guitars that don't have a ton of bottom end - regardless of whether I use one or more mics.

josh

I tend to get a mic position set in which the bottom isn't too prominent and then I either low shelf a good cut or high pass from somewhere 'down there'...so there'll be room for bass and kick and blah blah...almost something in common!!

Vertigo

« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2006, 10:20:12 PM »

Quote:

Someone posted this technique about a year ago and man - I haven't had trouble recording an acoustic since. I also usually add the DI in behind these three (if the guitar has pickups), and then pan the tracks a good bit to get a stereo spread, keeping the bassier soundhole mic (I use a D-19c) in the middle. This keeps the most low end energy from the guitar coming through both speakers evenly which makes it easy to pan the other tracks the way I want while still retaining a feeling of balance in the stereo field.

Great technique - it helped me a lot.

-Lance

Ronny

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2006, 11:11:34 PM »

Vertigo wrote on Wed, 01 February 2006 22:20

Quote:

Someone posted this technique about a year ago and man - I haven't had trouble recording an acoustic since. I also usually add the DI in behind these three (if the guitar has pickups), and then pan the tracks a good bit to get a stereo spread, keeping the bassier soundhole mic (I use a D-19c) in the middle. This keeps the most low end energy from the guitar coming through both speakers evenly which makes it easy to pan the other tracks the way I want while still retaining a feeling of balance in the stereo field.

Great technique - it helped me a lot.

-Lance

Glad that its been working for you. I haven't had any complaints in the 25 years or so that I've been doing it and it typically blows the mind of the guitarist, first time he hears his guitar played back, when tracked that way. If the guitar has a pickup or bridge transducer that sounds decent, I'll sometimes place it in the center with the over the shoulder mic and rather than use any verb or delay, I'll set my ambient blend between the over mic and the pick up track down the center. There really are no rules and this gives you a whole lot to work with regarding stereo imaging from a normally mono sounding instrument. Even hard L and R on the fret and hole tracks works well on some material. I've also used all 4 tracks panned equally and leveled and had none dead center for some tunes. To me it sounds better than double tracking the acoustic 90% of the time, the extra time to set up the mics is made up by the time that it takes to double track a performance.  
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------