R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The BEST rock recorded on ANY workstation  (Read 9735 times)

Malcolm Boyce

Re: The BEST rock recorded on ANY workstation
« Reply #15 on: February 01, 2006, 10:14:17 AM »

Maybe I'm not the only one who doesn't consider tracking digitally, using a "workstation", the word used in the TITLE of your thread.  If I track to DA98s through a console is that a workstation?

If you mean digital, use the word.  Don't try and be fancy just to impress us losers.

Eric Rudd

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 10:20:42 AM »

ALLEN WRENCH wrote on Tue, 31 January 2006 22:47

OK, this is exactly what I DID NOT want to happen with this thread.  I don’t care if it’s all IN-THE-BOX, with an SSL, 16 bit PT, 64bit Cakewalk, ADAT’s and Mackies, Logic and a HUI, what ever.  

<snip>

ANY DAW used in ANY way… EXCEPT tracking on tape and then digitizing.

I’m looking to put together some songs to hear what’s POSSIBLE to do with the digital format.  

<snip>
Stop your talkin, start your rockin.

- Allen Wrench -
international Superstar

Sorry that you're getting your upset, but "DAW" pretty much is implying 'in the box' these days. (except for hybrid users) So your question above is confusing from a terminology POV.

So as I understand it....  are you looking for songs that are done "in the box" with a "DAW?"

Or are you looking for songs that are "digital" that can be ADAT, 3348, DAW, etc? I think you'll get many more responses if you don't limit it to DAW-only projects.

Eric
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eric Rudd
efrudd@gmail.com
For an engineering discography, please see www.allmusic.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Greg Youngman

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 11:50:32 AM »

Little Feat - "Let It Roll"

Where's George when we need him?  That record kicks ass.  I think it classifies as "rock".  It's not country.  It's not jazz.  I use it for comparison all the time.
Web Site
My Space
Blog

"Everyone's a guitar player... everyone's a mastering engineer." 1995 - GY

ALLEN WRENCH

Re: The BEST rock recorded in DIGITAL format
« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 12:58:21 PM »

You know, I re-read my last reply and maybe I do sound a little PISSY.  Apologies to everyone.  I’ve been wound a little tight for the last few days because I just got sentenced to court ordered rehab and I don’t think that’s going to be fun.  On top of that, My JH-16 is so fucked up I’ve decided to stop using it after finishing my current project. What I’m trying to do now is figure out what I’m to do, mostly for drums, from now on.  Frankly digital, for rock, is looking pretty bleak.  

For this thread, I’m trying to target some music for audio research… listen to a variety of music that’s been tracked digital, pick out some styles that I like, and then interact with the producer and/or engineer of that or those works.  So, with this in mind, WHAT may be wrong with something, or WHAT might be possible is not really of any concern.  What I’m interested in is WHAT has been done so far... with the digital format

As far as saying workstation (DAW), I was using that term to NOT exclude anyone that does not use ProFools.  I suspect that if you’re a Radar, Innuendo, or Logic guy you may be getting annoyed with PT being synonymous with digital.  Not trying to offend or act uppity with that.  As a matter of fact I personally consider my engineering skill to be a touch BELOW novice.

And don’t get me wrong, I would greatly appreciate any and all help… BUT lets keep the tread on topic!

My records suck, that’s why I’m here.

- ALLEN  
You may not be interested in Dr. Wrench,  but Dr. Wrench is interested in you.

Invisible Member

« Reply #19 on: February 01, 2006, 03:32:03 PM »

ALLEN WRENCH wrote on Fri, 27 January 2006 20:22

The argument of “What’s better, Analog or workstation?” seems to be endless and I really never care if I see another thread on this topic.  But in this particular thread, lets just say that, theoretically, digital HAS won out and is the superior format.

Now in the category of ROCK… what’s the best single song, songs OR record you’ve ever heard that’s been recorded on ANY type of workstation.  
I’m interested in distorted ROCK guitars and acoustic ROCK drums.

THIS IS NOT A TRICK.  I’m NOT going to come back and say… “SEE!  It’s NOT as good as... [SOME SONG] from [SOME YEAR]!"

I simply would like to know what is possible to achieve on a DAW by the BEST of the BEST.  I’m just doing some listening research for my own purposes and would like to know what all you engineers and producers with the advanced EARS think the best digital rock is.

Any and all input is greatly appreciated… and if you HAVE to deviate from the rock category, that’s OK.

Please name the song, artist and record.  I’m planning on buying them to listen to for a while.

- ALLEN WRENCH -

Well without getting into too much rhetorical questioning.

For starters I would say listen to Slipknot's "Subliminal Verses 3".

Tracked to ProTools and just about every song fits the rock genre. Its a fairly recent recording using readily available bits and peices. Some of the best drums Ive heard in awhile. IMO

You can also listen to Racer-X's last three albums. Otari console tracked into RADAR, sounds pretty rockin to me. I believe Paul Gilbert does alot hardware. Drums and guitar heavy music, if this isn't convincing digital can rock you caint be convinced period.

Steve Vai's "Alive in a Ultra World", tracked to ProTools on a G3 Mac, edited/mixed/overdubbed on ProTools, API legacy console.

I've used ProTools since 2000, and own Samplitude. I've used Vegas and Cakewalk products as well. Small variations of a theme, your normal workflow might like one more than another. Its highly personal. There are plenty of folks using hybrid systems so hang on to the reel to reel unless you sell it to dampen your impending purchases.

Take a listen to these 3 albums, all these bands have top rate drummers.

djui5

Re: The BEST rock recorded in DIGITAL format
« Reply #20 on: February 01, 2006, 07:25:33 PM »

ALLEN WRENCH wrote on Wed, 01 February 2006 10:58

My records suck, that’s why I’m here.

- ALLEN  

I don't mean to derail this thread, but what sucks about your records?

It might not be a "gear fix".
Morale of the day? Stop looking at what you're hearing.
yngve hoeyland 07'

Randy Wright
Mix Engineer
Mesa, Arizona

Ronny

« Reply #21 on: February 01, 2006, 08:15:17 PM »

Eric Rudd wrote on Wed, 01 February 2006 10:20

ALLEN WRENCH wrote on Tue, 31 January 2006 22:47

OK, this is exactly what I DID NOT want to happen with this thread.  I don’t care if it’s all IN-THE-BOX, with an SSL, 16 bit PT, 64bit Cakewalk, ADAT’s and Mackies, Logic and a HUI, what ever.  

<snip>

ANY DAW used in ANY way… EXCEPT tracking on tape and then digitizing.

I’m looking to put together some songs to hear what’s POSSIBLE to do with the digital format.  

<snip>
Stop your talkin, start your rockin.

- Allen Wrench -
international Superstar

Sorry that you're getting your upset, but "DAW" pretty much is implying 'in the box' these days. (except for hybrid users) So your question above is confusing from a terminology POV.

So as I understand it....  are you looking for songs that are done "in the box" with a "DAW?"

Or are you looking for songs that are "digital" that can be ADAT, 3348, DAW, etc? I think you'll get many more responses if you don't limit it to DAW-only projects.

Eric

That's what I was thinking too. It wouldn't surprise me if there were more charted tunes mixed on 02r's in the 90's than Pro-Tools or other single DAW type platforms. James Taylor for one used a couple on some of his material. Not exactly AW's style of music but good sounding recordings for digital. Look for Eliot Scheiner material, he uses a DM2000 on a lot of his stuff, records a lot of people and always sounds good.  
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------