R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 [3]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: The BEST rock recorded on ANY workstation  (Read 9832 times)

minister

Re: The BEST rock recorded on ANY workstation
« Reply #30 on: February 04, 2006, 11:47:26 AM »

NoWo wrote on Fri, 03 February 2006 17:43

The situation in Europe is completely different. Never heart of "Techno"? This music ruled Europe the last 10 years and was completely done in the box. As a result nearly all conventional studies vanished. Although I
tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

NoWo

« Reply #31 on: February 04, 2006, 04:24:21 PM »

Hi minister (of what???),

what is hybrid other than digital? Some analog is always included starting at the microphone and nearly always ending at the speakers.
And "any" music isn

minister

« Reply #32 on: February 05, 2006, 12:42:25 PM »

NoWo wrote on Sat, 04 February 2006 15:24

Hi minister (of what???)
...fancy noises  Razz

by hybrid, i meant something along the lines of tracking drums on tape, transferring to digital, tracking more & editing digital, than mixing on a desk or summing box and summing analog.  use analogue eq's and comp's etc.  or some combination there of...  i don't mean merely analog mic & pre to get it into the DAW.

i personally don't have a 2" or a desk, so most of my stuff is in the box.  and, yes, i just finished a pop/rock album, ITB, and a whacky, kinda avant quasi-classical thing in the box and i am very happy with the sound.  but, i have used my Dangerous 2 BUS to mix rock and other styles and i liked the results with that too.

but i have a long-time engineer friend who did 2" and an anlog desk, but then was forced into DAW mixing for about 2 years (because of moving his studio and practicalities) and is now set up again with his neotek desk.  and he MUCH prefers mixing (especially) rock stuff on the desk and printing it off to 1/2".  and yes, his machines are aligned and his stuff sounds fantastic!
tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb

NoWo

« Reply #33 on: February 05, 2006, 04:16:45 PM »

Ya,

I thought you meant that by hybrid.

Of course it is another thing to mix on real desk. A while ago I send 16 DAW audio outs into my old desk and mixed a little bit...old skool, free style. AAHHH, what a feeling, 100mm fader, I had totally forgot how cool that is.
And yes, if you have 64 EQs, all with real knobs, at hand you mix a lot faster and because everything is going so fast you mix with much more accuracy. All this MUST result in a better sound no matter what brand the mixer is.
Unfortunately you will never get as loud and simultaneously smooth with pure analog than it is possible with digital. Although digital is said to be hard there are enough possibilities to get the sound smooth.

But I see in general we are brothers in mind.

Keep on rockin Dutchman.
BTW I

minister

« Reply #34 on: February 05, 2006, 04:27:59 PM »

NoWo wrote on Sun, 05 February 2006 15:16

Keep on rockin Dutchman.
BTW I
tom hambleton C.A.S.
minister of fancy noises
ministry of fancy noises

IMDb