R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Poll

Total Members Voted: 0

Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Down

Author Topic: Is There a Difference In DAW Mix Engines  (Read 7649 times)

RKrizman

Re: Is There a Difference In DAW Mix Engines
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 02:02:08 AM »

malice wrote on Wed, 25 January 2006 12:13

hmmm, interesting. I'm thinking Nuendo/Cubase, PT LE, PT TDM, Logic, DP ...

Before you go to all the trouble to test all the platforms, you should just pick two and prove to yourself that there is in fact a difference.  Once you've demonstrated to youself that there is some basis for your premise, then you can test them all.  But until you find a single case in which there is a difference, why go to all the trouble.

Just trying to save you some time.

-R

« Reply #16 on: February 01, 2006, 01:01:17 PM »

Making an apples-to-apples comparison isn't exactly trivial.  I'd start with the same sound files on the different systems and do the same simple mix, minus plug-ins at first, to evaluate the mix engines.  Since the pan law implementations might be a factor, it would be good to pan some tracks full left-right and some half-way left-right.   It is also important to check gain change behavior, so the gain settings for the mix tracks should be moved from 0dB.

Then the mixed tracks can be compared bit-for-bit to look for any difference.  It would also be good to do a blind listening comparison to see if anyone hears a difference that is/isn't indicated by the data comparison.  I will volunteer to do this for Logic Pro and ProTools TDM (but I can't say when exactly we'll get to it.)  It'll make a good student exercise if nothing else.

So many variables, so little time...

-Jay

RKrizman

« Reply #17 on: February 01, 2006, 05:27:39 PM »

Jay, where yo been?  It's  been done, and done correctly, and there isn't an rch's worth of difference between any of the major players.

-R

Ronny

« Reply #18 on: February 01, 2006, 07:50:07 PM »

Yep, It's been done, but if you do your own tests and there are pan law differences, you'd play hell getting them on even par by half panning some and hard panning others. You really need to set pan law settings the same on all mixing engines that you compare.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

« Reply #19 on: February 02, 2006, 11:39:41 AM »

I've been over at r.a.p. (and busy working: our building was renovated last year and I have to wire up 3 new studios and a small concert hall), which may explain why I haven't been aware of these proper investigations.  I may still do this but I don't think I expected much of a difference, having used both ProTools and Logic with similarly satisfactory results.

We are always looking for things to do to keep our DSP students busy...

We have had a bit of discussion about in-the-box versus analog mixing.  Have you guys done that already, too?  One of my students had an article in Tape-Op but we haven't done a real comparison.

-Jay

RKrizman

« Reply #20 on: February 03, 2006, 05:13:19 PM »

JayKadis wrote on Thu, 02 February 2006 11:39

I've been over at r.a.p. (and busy working: our building was renovated last year and I have to wire up 3 new studios and a small concert hall), which may explain why I haven't been aware of these proper investigations.  I may still do this but I don't think I expected much of a difference, having used both ProTools and Logic with similarly satisfactory results.

We are always looking for things to do to keep our DSP students busy...

We have had a bit of discussion about in-the-box versus analog mixing.  Have you guys done that already, too?  One of my students had an article in Tape-Op but we haven't done a real comparison.

-Jay

Seriously?  Go over to Gearslutz and look around--it's all been pounded to death.  And check out Lynn Fuston's AwesumDawsum comparison CD, which many of  us participated in.  Or save the  trouble and don't worry about math differences between DAWs.

-R

NoWo

« Reply #21 on: February 03, 2006, 05:26:56 PM »

Hi,

if you just put a few audio tracks into Nuendo and PT-M and have 0 pan law both apps sound the same.
If you start touching the knobs or sliders of their delivered plugs you start to get an idea of that they are not equal sounding. You work different on both apps (and you end up with complete different mixes), that

« Reply #22 on: February 06, 2006, 11:24:18 AM »

RKrizman wrote on Fri, 03 February 2006 22:13

Seriously?  Go over to Gearslutz and look around--it's all been pounded to death.  And check out Lynn Fuston's AwesumDawsum comparison CD, which many of  us participated in.  Or save the  trouble and don't worry about math differences between DAWs.

-R

Thanks.  That's good enough for me.  (I gotta get out more...)

-Jay
Pages: 1 [2]  All   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.123 seconds with 34 queries.