R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: Documentary recording vs. a band's skewed self-image  (Read 16355 times)

j.hall

Re: Documentary recording vs. a band's skewed self-image
« Reply #45 on: January 31, 2006, 05:22:56 PM »

jimmyjazz wrote on Tue, 31 January 2006 15:43

What crawled up your ass?

mild forms of trolling, to blantant trolling, which happen to be against R/E/P policies, and it sure seems that steve spends a large portion of his time trying to re-clarify the same exact point.

rankus

« Reply #46 on: January 31, 2006, 05:43:07 PM »

j.hall wrote on Tue, 31 January 2006 14:22

mild forms of trolling, to blantant trolling, which happen to be against R/E/P policies, and it sure seems that steve spends a large portion of his time trying to re-clarify the same exact point.

I agree.. I was delighted to see that Steve had a forum.  But wading through all the bullshit is getting tedious....

Lets try to discuss RECORDING ....
Rick Welin - Clark Drive Studios http://www.myspace.com/clarkdrivestudios

Ive done stuff I'm not proud of.. and the stuff I am proud of is disgusting ~ Moe Sizlack

"There is no crisis in energy, the crisis is in imagination" ~ Buckminster Fuller

Ronny

« Reply #47 on: January 31, 2006, 07:11:14 PM »

j.hall wrote on Tue, 31 January 2006 17:22

It's hell, JH, when they ask an expert for their opinion or tips and techniques and than argue with them about it.

Hey, posters that are dissing techniques and procedure, if you know so much why aren't you answering questions instead of asking them. Albini's techniques are subjective because we are all different, but he gets good results, so if you are going to take his time up by asking questions, it doesn't mean you have to agree with them, but give him the respect that anyone deserves, you ain't paying for this, it's free advice.  
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------
----------Powered By Experience-------------
-------------Driven To Perfection---------------

jimmyjazz

« Reply #48 on: January 31, 2006, 10:07:03 PM »

Ronny wrote on Tue, 31 January 2006 19:11

It's hell, JH, when they ask an expert for their opinion or tips and techniques and than argue with them about it.

Hey, posters that are dissing techniques and procedure, if you know so much why aren't you answering questions instead of asking them. Albini's techniques are subjective because we are all different, but he gets good results, so if you are going to take his time up by asking questions, it doesn't mean you have to agree with them, but give him the respect that anyone deserves, you ain't paying for this, it's free advice.  

Since J. Hall was "kind" enough to quote me when he decided to deride folks for asking Steve questions about his philosophy, I can only assume that he (and those who support his point of view) think I was either trolling or baiting Steve.

Nothing could be further from the truth, and I resent the implication.

I respect Steve, not only for his results but for the manner in which he consistently defends his point of view with extraordinary clarity.  I wish I was that adept at expressing myself.

So, either explain where y'all think I went astray or leave me out of this particular sub-thread.  My posts weren't intended to gig Steve in any way, shape, or form.

j.hall

« Reply #49 on: February 01, 2006, 12:55:20 AM »

jimmyjazz wrote on Tue, 31 January 2006 21:07

Since J. Hall was "kind" enough to quote me when he decided to deride folks for asking Steve questions about his philosophy, I can only assume that he (and those who support his point of view) think I was either trolling or baiting Steve.

honestly, quoting you was actually a mistake, which sort of explains my confusion as to why you got so defensive.

steve has had to deal with more trolling then i've ever seen on REP.  i think it sucks that he's as busy as he is, and then he has to come here and deal with trolling.

i don't moderate this forum, however, trolling will not be allowed.  those who are on a witch hunt with steve need to cool it.

jimmyjazz

« Reply #50 on: February 01, 2006, 01:28:16 AM »

j.hall wrote on Wed, 01 February 2006 00:55

honestly, quoting you was actually a mistake, which sort of explains my confusion as to why you got so defensive.

OK, I can buy that.

Quote:

steve has had to deal with more trolling then i've ever seen on REP.  i think it sucks that he's as busy as he is, and then he has to come here and deal with trolling.

i don't moderate this forum, however, trolling will not be allowed.  those who are on a witch hunt with steve need to cool it.

I must be thick as a brick.  I honestly don't see much "trolling".  No doubt Steve's MO runs counter to that of most engineers, at least to some degree, but I don't think too many people here are trying to goad him into a fight.

It's his forum.  I figure he agreed to moderate it because he felt he had something to share.  I'm sure he knew that some folks wouldn't see eye to eye with him, too.  The fact that he doesn't seem nearly as bothered by this alleged behavior might be telling.

electrical

« Reply #51 on: February 01, 2006, 04:56:13 AM »

For what it's worth, I don't mind anybody saying anything here. I realize that I end up repeating myself a lot, but there are always people joining the conversation late, asking the same questions, etc. Until we make using the fucking search function mandatory (UTFSF is my favorite internet acronym), that will be the case.

People picking their fights with me is such typical internet dork-jousting that it has no effect on anybody here for real discussion, and it certainly has no effect on me.

UTFSF, Carry on.
best,

steve albini
Electrical Audio
sa at electrical dot com
www.electrical.com

Eric Rudd

« Reply #52 on: February 01, 2006, 01:10:22 PM »

electrical wrote on Wed, 01 February 2006 03:56

such typical internet dork-jousting .

'Dork' is such a great word.

Eric
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
Eric Rudd
efrudd@gmail.com
For an engineering discography, please see www.allmusic.com
~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

overeasy

« Reply #53 on: February 01, 2006, 01:12:25 PM »

electrical wrote on Wed, 01 February 2006 04:56

For what it's worth, I don't mind anybody saying anything here. I realize that I end up repeating myself a lot, but there are always people joining the conversation late, asking the same questions, etc. Until we make using the fucking search function mandatory (UTFSF is my favorite internet acronym), that will be the case.

People picking their fights with me is such typical internet dork-jousting that it has no effect on anybody here for real discussion, and it certainly has no effect on me.

UTFSF, Carry on.

Internet dork-jousting

possibly the funniest thing I have read or will read for weeks.

Steve certainly seems troll-proof!
Leo McClusky
NJ

Ronny

« Reply #54 on: February 01, 2006, 03:39:43 PM »

jimmyjazz wrote on Tue, 31 January 2006 22:07

Ronny wrote on Tue, 31 January 2006 19:11

Nothing could be further from the truth, and I resent the implication.

I respect Steve, not only for his results but for the manner in which he consistently defends his point of view with extraordinary clarity.  I wish I was that adept at expressing myself.

So, either explain where y'all think I went astray or leave me out of this particular sub-thread.  My posts weren't intended to gig Steve in any way, shape, or form.

As JH mentioned I wasn't specifically talking about you or mentioning any names jimmyjazz, I was referring to a few threads that were deleted or should have been deleted that were nothing more than trolls wasting everyones read time. I wasn't even talking specifically about this thread, but I keep seeing people challenging Albini and him having to answer to tripe. I see it not only as a waste of his time to have him justify what he's relating after he answers a question, but the cold manner in which people are challenging what he says, when they start the thread off with a question and end it with the inquisition.
------Ronny Morris - Digitak Mastering------
---------http://digitakmastering.com---------