R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Down

Author Topic: the dreaded 32 track adat transfer  (Read 15360 times)

j.hall

the dreaded 32 track adat transfer
« on: January 27, 2006, 09:41:17 AM »

so, i got 5 of 10 songs pulled into PT.  the band is finishing up on the last 5 songs while i start mixing these.

black face adats, 32 tracks of some very strange track sheets.

the odd part is, as i'm listening to this stuff transfer, i can't help but think this is some of the coolest, tones and overdub ideas i've heard in years.

the band tracked themselves, to black face adats......it shouldn't be this cool.

very pleasent surprise for my next two weeks.

now i have to figure out what to do with all these overdubs.

if this weren't for a client i'd consider posting the files for every to mix.  you could mix these songs 500 ways and have a TOTALLY different song.

starscream2010

Re: the dreaded 32 track adat transfer
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 11:03:24 AM »

Sounds like fun, I would like to check it out, do you think that you can mention who the band is once you've completed it? I thought that I was the only person who still uses blackface ADATS Shocked... I have 2 that I use to record our band practices and then dump those into Nuendo, all of the stuff I put on our Myspace site are practice demos with vocals overdubbed. I get made fun of for using them, but I think that they sound kind of cool.
"Three thousand years of beautiful tradition, from Moses to Sandy Koufax... "

Nick Evans

www.nickolusevans.com

j.hall

« Reply #2 on: January 27, 2006, 11:26:47 AM »

Satellite Soul is the band.

i never work on top secret projects.

i'll ask the guys if i can post some mixes when we get some finished.

TheViking

« Reply #3 on: January 27, 2006, 11:40:08 AM »

ADAT's are always looked at like they are the short bus kid of recorders.   I worked on ADAT for like five years before I touched a DAW and I don't remember hating them as much as I hear other people talk about them.   Some pretty great records were captured on ADAT.

So, do you hate ADAT or love ADAT and why?   Maybe we can turn this thread into a poll, J?

Is this thing on?

Kevin Bruchert / The Viking
www.myspace.com/thevikingproducer

starscream2010

« Reply #4 on: January 27, 2006, 12:08:12 PM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 27 January 2006 10:26

Satellite Soul is the band.

i never work on top secret projects.

i'll ask the guys if i can post some mixes when we get some finished.

Awesome, I'd definitely like to hear it.

Nick Evans

www.nickolusevans.com

NelsonL

« Reply #5 on: January 27, 2006, 12:11:57 PM »

I love them for the fact that I've been able to dredge up sessions recorded in 1997 (at Studio G, all the way on the other side of the country) and pull them into PT for mix. So their previous ubiquity can be an advantage (I realize 2" has the same utility.)

For that it's great--unless you hit a ton of glitches like J. did. Seems like that happens as often as not.

On the other hand I originally started my first studio with a friend because we were looking for something different than the ADAT & Mackie place we'd been frequenting. So we bought a Tascam 1/2" and proceeded to overload every channel on every song! The Tascam eventually broke on us in Brooklyn, that's how we wound up on ADAT at studio G. Actually the Tascam broke, we borrowed another one, and then that one broke too.

starscream2010

« Reply #6 on: January 27, 2006, 12:17:39 PM »

TheViking wrote on Fri, 27 January 2006 10:40

ADAT's are always looked at like they are the short bus kid of recorders.   I worked on ADAT for like five years before I touched a DAW and I don't remember hating them as much as I hear other people talk about them.   Some pretty great records were captured on ADAT.

So, do you hate ADAT or love ADAT and why?   Maybe we can turn this thread into a poll, J?

I agree completely, Fantastic Planet is a great example of that. I guess that I like ADAT's (wouldn't say love) because they're definitely useable and kind of have 'sound' about them, maybe it's the converters?

Nick Evans

www.nickolusevans.com

j.hall

« Reply #7 on: January 27, 2006, 12:47:38 PM »

ADAtS suck.  the trasports eat tape, the sync between decks blows, recording 8 tracks of audio to a VCR is silly.

black face units sound bad, XTs are only slightly better.  it's like recording to a 1" 16 track.  all those narrow band tape decks sound the same.  thin, and mid rangey.  adats were a genius marketing phenomenon.  have i cut full legnth records on them......yes.  have they sounded ok?  yes they sounded ok, not stellar, mostly like adats.

is fantastic planet a total exception.........

either give me a reasonable argument for them or, take your love for adats to another forum.............HA

starscream2010

« Reply #8 on: January 27, 2006, 02:21:00 PM »

j.hall wrote on Fri, 27 January 2006 11:47

ADAtS suck.  the trasports eat tape, the sync between decks blows, recording 8 tracks of audio to a VCR is silly.

black face units sound bad, XTs are only slightly better.  it's like recording to a 1" 16 track.  all those narrow band tape decks sound the same.  thin, and mid rangey.  adats were a genius marketing phenomenon.  have i cut full legnth records on them......yes.  have they sounded ok?  yes they sounded ok, not stellar, mostly like adats.

is fantastic planet a total exception.........

either give me a reasonable argument for them or, take your love for adats to another forum.............HA

Ok, Fantastic Planet is an exception.... But what about any of the HOUSTON stuff (I dig it), God help me; Jagged Little Pill and although I'm not a fan... the first couple of FUEL records. It's not that ADAT's are AMAZING by any stretch of the imagination, but they're usable.... but I guess that could be said for alot of things like the Tascam 388 (not great, but not terrible either) I have heard some cool records made on those as well.... I'm taking my ball and going home.

Nick Evans

www.nickolusevans.com

pete andrews

« Reply #9 on: January 27, 2006, 02:49:36 PM »

hey guys (kev - long time no talk!)

ADATs -  agree with j - unreliable at best. i did manage 2 or 3 full lengths with a pair of XTs, but plenty of weirdness during the process. But they did get me started.

-pete

TheViking

« Reply #10 on: January 27, 2006, 04:53:34 PM »

I'm not about to take an ADAT to bed with me, but there is a certain 'charm' those units have that I just always dug.   By no means am I going back.   I'm not jonesing for my ADAT fix or anything - I love my Mix Plus rig, especially since I went to v6.4 software.

Jagged Little Pill was going to be my refrence as well.   I love that record and I really do feel that it has an ADAT 'charm' to it that I think wouldn't have been there if it was tracked to 2".   Not that it wouldn't have been a good record...   the songs rule and that's why it's so great.

Yes, the units have their tempermentalities.   So does ProTools...   so does analog tape.   It's all relative, isn't it?

Hi Pete!
Is this thing on?

Kevin Bruchert / The Viking
www.myspace.com/thevikingproducer

bblackwood

« Reply #11 on: January 27, 2006, 05:04:11 PM »

TheViking wrote on Fri, 27 January 2006 15:53

Jagged Little Pill was going to be my refrence as well.  

Because it sounds good or because you like the songs? Or because it sold well?
Brad Blackwood
euphonic masters

xonlocust

« Reply #12 on: January 27, 2006, 05:08:04 PM »

I'm Jagged Little Pill was going to be my refrence as well.   I love that record and I really do feel that it has an ADAT 'charm' to it that I think wouldn't have been there if it was tracked to 2".   Not that it wouldn't have been a good record...   the songs rule and that's why it's so great.

wait, are we talking about an alanis morrisette record here?

Frob

« Reply #13 on: January 27, 2006, 05:10:26 PM »

the only expieriance i have with ADAT is with an old Alesis SVHS deck i use for live recording. it does 44.1 24bit and sounds just fine, for what i use it for. would i use it for an ep? no but i could if i had to.

NelsonL

« Reply #14 on: January 27, 2006, 05:19:43 PM »

xonlocust wrote on Fri, 27 January 2006 14:08

I'm Jagged Little Pill was going to be my refrence as well.   I love that record and I really do feel that it has an ADAT 'charm' to it that I think wouldn't have been there if it was tracked to 2".   Not that it wouldn't have been a good record...   the songs rule and that's why it's so great.

wait, are we talking about an alanis morrisette record here?

That record sounds so good they made it twice. Once for MTV and a second time for Starbucks.
Pages: [1] 2 3 ... 5   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.097 seconds with 20 queries.