R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: [1]   Go Down

Author Topic: Agfa 469  (Read 1342 times)

bigaudioblowhard

Agfa 469
« on: January 26, 2006, 10:32:03 PM »

Perhaps the worst tape ever for shedding. What happened here is the engineer rewound about 20 seconds of record pad at the end of the reel, where there was no music. He hit play and the tape started to squeal. He immediately stopped, wound the reel off by hand, baked it for 24 hours and transferred the entire reel to hard disc without incident. Then at the end of the reel where he first wound back this happened. I never even bother to try 469, I just put it straight into the oven. And while we're at it, Ampex 456 from the years 1974 to 1978 gets the same treatment.

bab

index.php/fa/2269/0/

Tim Halligan

Re: Agfa 469
« Reply #1 on: January 27, 2006, 11:42:05 AM »

Shocked  Shocked  Shocked

Holy frickin' cow.

We never used to have that problem with 468...thank god...

At least we know what the intern is doing for the next 3 days...

...cleaning the Studer...

Cheers,
Tim
"Don't forget, we are all engaged in a battle to the death against mediocrity." - J. Whynot

"You can tune a room only with a bulldozer." - Andy Peters

dcollins

Re: Agfa 469
« Reply #2 on: February 02, 2006, 12:12:58 AM »

bigaudioblowhard wrote on Thu, 26 January 2006 19:32

Perhaps the worst tape ever for shedding. What happened here is the engineer rewound about 20 seconds of record pad at the end of the reel, where there was no music. He hit play and the tape started to squeal. He immediately stopped, wound the reel off by hand, baked it for 24 hours and transferred the entire reel to hard disc without incident. Then at the end of the reel where he first wound back this happened. I never even bother to try 469, I just put it straight into the oven. And while we're at it, Ampex 456 from the years 1974 to 1978 gets the same treatment.

BASF actually reccomended microwave ovens for 468.  It's not the complete cure you get from Ampex, but enough to get a pass or two.

You also needed to rewind while wiping it with "Viledon" fabric.

DC
Pages: [1]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.025 seconds with 19 queries.