R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Down

Author Topic: If you're an artist who's NOT playing in public, why not???  (Read 13073 times)

Dave Martin

Re: If you're an artist who's NOT playing in public, why not???
« Reply #45 on: February 05, 2006, 10:21:06 AM »

I'm not sure that the division is quite that simple - I'm 48 and by the summer hope to be playing live gigs 4-5 nights a week (we're booking the dates now with a couple of the artists I work with). It MAY be that there's a division between those who do it as a hobby and those who work with music as a living, or between those who feel like it's 'worth the effort' and those who don't, but I don't really think that age in and of itself has anything to do with it.

Maybe it's 'maturity'; I have no intention of growing up and acting like an adult - there's no fun in that. I'd rather be Dennis the Menace than Mister Wilson.

floodstage

« Reply #46 on: February 05, 2006, 10:30:36 AM »

Dave Martin wrote on Sun, 05 February 2006 10:21

I have no intention of growing up and acting like an adult - there's no fun in that. I'd rather be Dennis the Menace than Mister Wilson.

What he said!!!!!

John Ivan

« Reply #47 on: February 06, 2006, 12:13:51 AM »

Yeah, I'm in my early 40's and do this for a living. I love it even though it's getting harder and harder to play local gig's. The tour's every summer in larger venues pay good but in the down time months, local band gig's are being replaced with DJ's and this thing called KARAFUCKINYOOOOKEEE.. So, it's tough. I do some playing sessions that help too but it's getting harder..

Age has nothing to do with it. I'll be playing live for as long as folks will have me.

Ivan...............................
"Transformation is no easy trick: It's what art promises and usually doesn't deliver." Garrison Keillor

Mark Gensman

« Reply #48 on: February 06, 2006, 01:39:26 AM »

I've been playing live for over forty years and still play many weekends a year. There is something about the feedback from a live audience that cannot be recreated in the studio. I get more of a rush from a standing ovation after a killer sax lead than I do when I close a million dollar dea. It isn't about the money..although the money these days is quite good.

From club gigs to concerts in front of thousands, playing live to me is like a drug. I'll just keep doing it until I can't.

So, here's a vote from an old guy that twenty five years ago tried to quit playing live and immediatly decided that was a dumb idea and never looked back.
Mark G.

Roger Langvik

« Reply #49 on: February 07, 2006, 12:24:21 PM »

Creation of music, seeing people happy, the social thing within the band is the three most positive things about playing live to me.

The put-offs are just as easy: drunken, rude people, being away from loved ones and lugging gear...

And depending on how the venue treats you, that can be positive or negative experience as well.

Actually I find the audience to be a two edged sword, they can be the reason I like to play live and the reason I just want to get the hell out of the whole scene.

I play in a pubband, so plenty of drunken people in those places.... Rolling Eyes

Dave Lang

« Reply #50 on: February 12, 2006, 03:33:14 AM »

and so it goes...

www.davelang.com

Tidewater

« Reply #51 on: February 13, 2006, 12:58:24 PM »

..and the stone just keeps on rollin', bringing me some new bad news..

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year
Pages: 1 2 3 [4]   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.058 seconds with 20 queries.