R/E/P Community

Please login or register.

Login with username, password and session length
Advanced search  

Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Down

Author Topic: If you're an artist who's NOT playing in public, why not???  (Read 13075 times)

wavdoctor

Re: If you're an artist who's NOT playing in public, why not???
« Reply #15 on: January 26, 2006, 02:34:53 PM »

Hellapeno wrote on Thu, 26 January 2006 18:40

I shifted from performing to producing fifteen years ago but now that some of my recents songs have gotten favorable feedback, I'm being taunted into performing again and may start doing so in the spring. I was a relatively young man (35) when I "retired" from performing and just turned 50 this week, so I'm sure it will be a different experience, what with all the groupies calling me "Geezer" and "Gramps" instead of "Sweet Cheeks" and "Studmuffin."

I feel your pain Hellapeno..I am 48 and played for a good 20 years on and off..The smoke,the drunks,the coming in at sunup was fun when I was a younger man, But now I record for myself..because I'm the only one i need to please now. I still get asked by some of the local artists but I will not leave my 42" plazma TV home alone anymore than I have to..or my wife. Very Happy

HB
Sunset Mastering & Recording
Harry Brookes

bilco

« Reply #16 on: January 26, 2006, 06:05:54 PM »

Not too much in the last few years.  Austin was a great place to play for acoustic singer/songwriters in the 90s, but that kind of faded away.  The "writers in the round" thing never caught on here the way it did in Nashville.  There are open mics, but the whole show up at 7:00 to sign up for a 11:00 2 song slot when you have to be at work at 6:00 the next morning thing gets old.  I am too old and tired to play a 4 hour solo show for next to nothing.  I do play in a request band every week and I get to slip one of mine in every now and then.

What I get out of the recording: It's like looking for the Holy Grail to try to capture what I hear in my head on a CD.  The process is really interesting.  I always liked tinkering with 4-track cassettes, a Dokorder 4 track reel to reel before that, a "sound on sound" pioneer reel to reel and the machine that started it all, my grandfather's mono Wollensak tube reel to reel.

I gave up drugs and drinking and now the food is catching up with me.......  I have to be addicted to SOMETHING!

bilco

Roadster

« Reply #17 on: January 26, 2006, 09:13:04 PM »

Quote:

What I get out of the recording: It's like looking for the Holy Grail to try to capture what I hear in my head on a CD. The process is really interesting. I always liked tinkering with 4-track cassettes, a Dokorder 4 track reel to reel before that, a "sound on sound" pioneer reel to reel and the machine that started it all, my grandfather's mono Wollensak tube reel to reel.

I gave up drugs and drinking and now the food is catching up with me....... I have to be addicted to SOMETHING!

Very Happy Oh ya!
That's about it!
It was legal around these parts in the early 60's to play in the local watering holes when you were a teenager as long as you didn't drink. They considered you "hired help" like a dish washer, etc. And although I've played just about every type of venue since that time, for years you chug along honing your skills and getting paid just about as much as a......dish washer.  Smile
Some folks like to say it's "paying your dues". I basically ended up thinking it was nothing more than a rehearsal for what I'm doing these days. That would be uncovering the musician I am and the creative muse that was at the heart of why I took that route to begin with.    
Rich
Road's End Studio
Musician, Songwriter, Research Technician on Creative Muse

eightyeightkeys

« Reply #18 on: January 26, 2006, 10:49:38 PM »

Endless rehearsals, humping a rack of keyboard modules & a 75 lb controller keyboard, plus stands and amps and shit, into and out of the car, the truck, the van, up and down stairs, multiple stairs, icey stairs in winter, playing a gig at a smokey, dingy, smelly local bar (if you're lucky-otherwise you're on the road to who knows where), with nowhere to escape the D.J., who is louder than the band, and of course almost invariably a greasy jack-ass for an owner, who you may have to choke for the money, schlepping home at 3 or 4 am, then re-humping the gear into the house, over & over again for...how much money ? (if you calculated how much you made per hour you'd probably want to jump off a bridge or something)

Yeah, I miss it. (Did I mention the stairs ?)

I'm quite happy in my little studio. Thx.

Dave T.
D&D Music

Roadster

« Reply #19 on: January 27, 2006, 12:32:05 AM »

Quote:

Endless rehearsals, humping a rack of keyboard modules & a 75 lb controller keyboard, plus stands and amps and shit, into and out of the car, the truck, the van, up and down stairs, multiple stairs, icey stairs in winter, playing a gig at a smokey, dingy, smelly local bar (if you're lucky-otherwise you're on the road to who knows where), with nowhere to escape the D.J., who is louder than the band, and of course almost invariably a greasy jack-ass for an owner, who you may have to choke for the money, schlepping home at 3 or 4 am, then re-humping the gear into the house, over & over again for...how much money ? (if you calculated how much you made per hour you'd probably want to jump off a bridge or something)

Yeah, I miss it. (Did I mention the stairs ?)

Very Happy The ones on Rush Street in Chicago in the 70's? Hauling a B3 up with 2 Leslies? No, you didn't happen to mention THAT!  
Rich
Road's End Studio
Musician, Songwriter, Research Technician on Creative Muse

Fibes

« Reply #20 on: January 27, 2006, 10:11:27 AM »

Most bands that carry B3s and leslies have hernias.

Constantly.

Fibes
-------------------------------------------------
"You can like it, or not like it."
The Studio

http://phobos.apple.com/WebObjects/MZStore.woa/wa/viewArtist ?id=155759887
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse
http://cdbaby.com/cd/superhorse2

Dave Martin

« Reply #21 on: January 27, 2006, 12:33:00 PM »

Fibes wrote on Fri, 27 January 2006 09:11

Most bands that carry B3s and leslies have hernias.

We were in worse shape than that - back in the day, the organist in the band had a C3. And we didn't know anything about dollies; all the guys inthe band would just grab hold of part of the Hammond. And run towards the stage with it... it WAS silly, and yes, the wheel HAD been invented by then.

hargerst

« Reply #22 on: January 27, 2006, 12:43:51 PM »

If I do any playing live, I just bring a small 15 watt amp and a guitar or bass, and that's it.  Nobody really wants to see an old geezer on stage anyway, but it's fun for me at times.  At least, I take the time before a show to learn the chords.
Harvey "Is that the right note?" Gerst
Indian Trail Recording Studio

overeasy

« Reply #23 on: January 27, 2006, 12:48:12 PM »

our band plays 90% originals, and we live in NJ.

aka "The Freebird State"

Leo McClusky
NJ

AndreasN

« Reply #24 on: January 28, 2006, 02:02:29 PM »

Playing in the studio is getting duller for every live experience. I need people there to feed back their impression and joy and persuade me to give a performance worthy of their appraisal!

The public helps raising the music to new heights in a synergy between performer and dancers/listeners, which at the best of times create a here-and-now vibe that surpasses the experience of any recording.

Can see why people like to do endless arranging, edits, programming and so forth, but that's just not for me. Music is a living organism, not something to plan and ponder too much about. Just do it and get over with it!

Do about one gig a month and that's perfect to me. It's not for the money, just for the experience, which is highly addictive. =)

Cheers,

Andreas

Eddie Matthews

« Reply #25 on: January 28, 2006, 04:20:50 PM »

Thank you, Andreas.

We perform because we can.  And for some of us, because we must.  Can't explain it. It's just why we're here.
"Soundchecks are for pussies.  I got 8 bands in 4 hours.  You get the hell up there and play that thing, you punk-poser motherfucker!"

aka Delta-9

Tidewater

« Reply #26 on: January 28, 2006, 05:49:20 PM »

ROFLMAO Dave.

A C3 is a B3 with a built in anchor.

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year

daQuad

« Reply #27 on: January 28, 2006, 07:31:49 PM »

I am with Harvey on this, I'm a gezzer and too old to be seen on stages lest they lose their cool, I still like jams for interaction / inspiration, but I did so much live-band I only do it for fun very occasionally.  Otherwise I'm writing in the project studio...
"Jazz isn't dead, it just smells funny" - Frank Zappa

Dave Martin

« Reply #28 on: January 29, 2006, 01:46:19 AM »

DivideByZero wrote on Sat, 28 January 2006 16:49

ROFLMAO Dave.

A C3 is a B3 with a built in anchor.

M

No kidding! At least we didn't carry the pedals with it...

I've got a C3 in the studio now, but fortunately, it doesn't get moved. And the Leslie is on a dolly so I can put it wherever I need to for a given session.

Tidewater

« Reply #29 on: January 29, 2006, 08:07:04 PM »

I think porta-Bs are rated to 125mph, A-100s to 155mph, Bs are rated to 200mph, and Cs are rated to 350.

Pedals add 45mph.

M
Time Magazine's 2007 Man of the Year
Pages: 1 [2] 3 4   Go Up

Site Hosted By Ashdown Technologies, Inc.

Page created in 0.037 seconds with 22 queries.